Change Circumstances/Work Programme trying to force me to attend!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3739 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently moved in with my partner and informed the DWP of this, I was informed the other day that I won't receive Jobseekers Allowance because my partner works even though she is on a low wage.

I emailed the Work Programme provider a few days stating that as I am not getting Jobseekers now and I am not receiving any money from them I am no longer obliged to attend the Work Programme.

I received this response today:-

"Thank you for your email. When you attended your induction it would have been explained to you that you are entitled to support from your Work Programme provider for 2 years. As your Work Programme provider we will continue to try to engage you on programme. Job Centre Plus have informed us of your change in claim and all engagement will be reflective of this change.

Shaw Trust offer free support to our customers with the aim of helping them to achieve sustainable employment. I would suggest that you continue to access the support available to you.

Kind Regards"

What do you make of this and what can I do about it? I have again told them about the withdrawal of consent too which they seem to be ignoring.

Thanks.

Yes, if you are still signing on for your NI you do need to continue.

If not, tell them (politely but firmly) to stuff it. Write to them (regular mail, not email) and say something along the lines of "as I am no longer in receipt of JSA I no longer require your services."

They might complain about this, but the only thing they can do is ask the DWP to sanction your benefits - obviously, if you're not receiving benefits, this isn't much of a threat to you. So basically, just ignore them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes, if you are still signing on for your NI you do need to continue.

If not, tell them (politely but firmly) to stuff it. Write to them (regular mail, not email) and say something along the lines of "as I am no longer in receipt of JSA I no longer require your services."

They might complain about this, but the only thing they can do is ask the DWP to sanction your benefits - obviously, if you're not receiving benefits, this isn't much of a threat to you. So basically, just ignore them.

But then aren't you cutting your nose off to spite your face? They are offering free ongoing help in looking to get back into work. Even though the poster isn't claiming JSA, they are presumably still unemployed and wanting to find a job?

They are offering free ongoing help in looking to get back into work

Just as well it's free, charging for it would contravene the trades description act.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

But then aren't you cutting your nose off to spite your face? They are offering free ongoing help in looking to get back into work. Even though the poster isn't claiming JSA, they are presumably still unemployed and wanting to find a job?

The poster is entirely free to continue to engage with the WP providers if he wishes.

However, most people find that what the WP providers offer is not "help" in any meaningful way.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Just as well it's free, charging for it would contravene the trades description act.

Well, quite.

No, I don't think so, they actually do next to nothing in there! They don't help you at all! Just make you attend pointless "Job Clubs" and other pointless things.

The DWP are useless though, still haven't received any letters stating my Jobseekers has been stopped even though as I was told on the phone that I was no longer entitled to it.

Do i need to actually sign off now? I'm not signing just for NI contributions if that can force me to attend the Work Programme.

What if the local council want proof I'm no longer on JSA regarding the Housing Benefit.

From the WP guidance, Chaper 2, Annex A:

Participants in receipt of JSA Credits Only will be will be given the option of accessing the Work Programme and taking part on an entirely voluntary basis from their eligible entry point.

On that basis, your continuing participation on the work programme is entirely voluntary. If you want to take up their offer of "free support", you can if you think it worthwhile. What is worthwhile is very much open to debate...

If you decide to close down your JSA claim (i.e. "sign off"), you'd just need to make a declaration of zero income to continue claiming HB/CT - As there has been a change of circumstances, you'd want to inform the council anyway.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thanks for the replies, going to send a letter informing them I won't be and do not wish them to try and engage me on the programme and to again remind them of my withdrawal of consent, I will also inform them that I will take it further and contact the information commissioner as well as the ICE and my local MP involved should they not honor these requests.

From the WP guidance, Chaper 2, Annex A:

On that basis, your continuing participation on the work programme is entirely voluntary. If you want to take up their offer of "free support", you can if you think it worthwhile. What is worthwhile is very much open to debate...

If you decide to close down your JSA claim (i.e. "sign off"), you'd just need to make a declaration of zero income to continue claiming HB/CT - As there has been a change of circumstances, you'd want to inform the council anyway.

Each to their own I suppose. But following a serious mental health issue which saw me sectioned many times, Shaw Trust were absolutely a godsend for me. They asked me what I would job like to do and went out of their way to find it for me. I accept that it was a voluntary position for only a few hours, one day a week, but over the next two years those few hours a week developed into a 6 day a week position of 48 hours a week and by the time the third year came about the charity offered me a full time paid position at NMW. I jumped at the chance and was there for another two years.

Eventually I moved on with my life, but had Shaw Trust not been there I have no idea where I would have ended up. They were a life saver.

going to send a letter informing them I won't be and do not wish them to try and engage me on the programme

Before you do that, I'd recommend getting written conformation that your continued participation is on a purely voluntary basis.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

The DWP are useless though, still haven't received any letters stating my Jobseekers has been stopped even though as I was told on the phone that I was no longer entitled to it.

Do i need to actually sign off now? I'm not signing just for NI contributions if that can force me to attend the Work Programme.

What if the local council want proof I'm no longer on JSA regarding the Housing Benefit.

How long ago did your circumstances change, and when did you notify them?

IIRC you meet the basic conditions for JSA but can't actually receive any cash because your partner's income nils your entitlement. If that's the case, it's your choice: you can sign on for NI, but if you do you must continue to jump through the hoops; or you can close your claim entirely. To do this, complete the appropriate section in your signing on booklet and take or post it to the Jobcentre.

Each to their own I suppose. But following a serious mental health issue which saw me sectioned many times, Shaw Trust were absolutely a godsend for me. They asked me what I would job like to do and went out of their way to find it for me. I accept that it was a voluntary position for only a few hours, one day a week, but over the next two years those few hours a week developed into a 6 day a week position of 48 hours a week and by the time the third year came about the charity offered me a full time paid position at NMW. I jumped at the chance and was there for another two years.

Eventually I moved on with my life, but had Shaw Trust not been there I have no idea where I would have ended up. They were a life saver.

Well, but there's a world of difference between the Shaw Trust and Ingeus/A4e/Working Links etc.

Well, but there's a world of difference between the Shaw Trust and Ingeus/A4e/Working Links etc.

Shaw Trust have been dreadful in the last 18 months, I signed off for 4 months doing a temp job but they are no doubt as bad as the others, they act as if they are your friends but they're not, they are your enemies, I've had nothing but problems with them.

How long ago did your circumstances change, and when did you notify them?

IIRC you meet the basic conditions for JSA but can't actually receive any cash because your partner's income nils your entitlement. If that's the case, it's your choice: you can sign on for NI, but if you do you must continue to jump through the hoops; or you can close your claim entirely. To do this, complete the appropriate section in your signing on booklet and take or post it to the Jobcentre.

I moved into my partners house on the 28th September and sent a change of circumstances form off the other day, I rang them a few days back as I had nothing through the post and that's when they informed me they wouldn't be paying me any money due to my partner working 23 hours a week and earning £11.5k per year.

Before you do that, I'd recommend getting written conformation that your continued participation is on a purely voluntary basis.

It is, I'm not receiving any money so what can they do to me? They can try whatever tactics they want but they can't sanction me as I'll be signing off on Monday.

Shaw Trust have been dreadful in the last 18 months, I signed off for 4 months doing a temp job but they are no doubt as bad as the others, they act as if they are your friends but they're not, they are your enemies, I've had nothing but problems with them.

Fair enough, I have no direct experience.

It's a shame that you are seeing them that way. My experience of that Trust was one of excellence. Maybe you are not prepared to work with them and maybe take on voluntary work in the medium term until something better comes along.

I recently moved in with my partner and informed the DWP of this, I was informed the other day that I won't receive Jobseekers Allowance because my partner works even though she is on a low wage.

I emailed the Work Programme provider a few days stating that as I am not getting Jobseekers now and I am not receiving any money from them I am no longer obliged to attend the Work Programme.

I received this response today:-

"Thank you for your email. When you attended your induction it would have been explained to you that you are entitled to support from your Work Programme provider for 2 years. As your Work Programme provider we will continue to try to engage you on programme. Job Centre Plus have informed us of your change in claim and all engagement will be reflective of this change.

Shaw Trust offer free support to our customers with the aim of helping them to achieve sustainable employment. I would suggest that you continue to access the support available to you.

Kind Regards"

What do you make of this and what can I do about it? I have again told them about the withdrawal of consent too which they seem to be ignoring.

Thanks.

They clearly concede that it is essentially your choice as to whether you continue....depending on your background and interests, if you are capable of managing a job search using your own resources (and continue to get interviews), then it remains a moot point as to what they can offer you. If you wish to participate within part time training, then if you contact your local college, you may find that there are a range of courses available which would be of interest to you, and which are fully financed. Conversely, if you wish to do voluntary work, and wish to add to your CV, again that is your choice.

Same problem happened to me afew years ago, my husband was working and i was told i wouldn't recieve JSA anymore,

I told them if your not paying me, then i wont be attending your stupid programme etc!

I wasn't prepared to get the hassle week in week out just to get my NI paid....