John Lewis launches two-year electricals guarantee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3857 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

John Lewis is to become the first UK electrical retailer to launch a minimum two-year guarantee on all its electrical products at no additional cost.

The department store already offers five-year guarantees on TVs, and two-year guarantees on computing, tablets and domestic appliances, but is extending the offer to cover everything electrical from 10 October.

Guardian Money has long called for all electrical items to come with a two-year guarantee, as is offered in Europe, but John Lewis is the first retailer to implement this here.

The store says that until now more than a third of its electrical items came with the standard one-year guarantee common at most of its rivals.

Many washing machines and dishwashers offered by some of the better European manufacturers, such as Bosch, automatically come with a two-year manufacturer's warranty here, irrespective of where you buy them.

At most high street electrical retailers, such as Currys, the products on sale all come with a one-year warranty, except where the manufacturer offers two or more. Stores will often try to sell customers lucrative three and five-year extended warranty plans, which can cost £100 a year.

John Lewis's Ed Connolly says: "There is a lack of transparency across electricals guarantees. The vast majority of consumers don't understand guarantees and are frustrated by the complexity that surrounds them. Our mission is to bring the John Lewis level of excellence and trust to electricals guarantees, which is why we're introducing a minimum two-year guarantee on all our products at no extra cost."

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/oct/05/john-lewis-two-year-electricals-guarantee

They muted this some time ago,we commented then that SOGA covers you up to 6 years so this wonderful 2 year guarantee is nothing more than a marketing ploy,however it will fool enough customers that John Lewis are leading the way

FS

• 4 weeks later...

:-)Most things electrical that you buy from a LIDL store has an automatic three year guarantee - and it will, no doubt, be considerably cheaper than the John Lewis alternative

If ever you are going to regret something regret doing it don't regret not doing it.

Barclays : £2740 lba on its way

Halifax: £1270 first request on its way

GM (HFC): £1950 + interest first request on its way

Barclaycard me: - awaiting statements

Barclaycard him: - awaiting statements

Citicard: awaiting statements

Money? It's a gas!

sorry I have to disagree with the other posters.

My experience with John Lewis has been nothing but outstanding. Couple of years ago I bought a 42" HD T.V which failed outside the 12 month standard guarntee, phoned them up and it was replaced within 2days.

Bought a vaccum cleaner from currys around the same time, failed after about 8 months. Phoned Currys. told to contact the manufacturer to claim on their guarntee. after to and frowing currys eventtualy replaced vac under warranty, only after several emails, letters and the threat of legal action under S.O.G.A..

In the real world S.O.G.A and the other relavent ACTs are ok with a dispute with an obstructive retailer, but I would rather put my faith and trust with an outstanding one such as john lewis, who's by word is the customer.