style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3867 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

My first post on here is about the cancellation of BT broadband charge.

We have just moved house and cancelled our BT line and broadband at our old address. We had completed the term of our contract so there are no penalties for early termination. We have swapped provide to go with Sky at our new address.

I have just received my final bill from BT which includes a £30 charge just for cancelling Broadband and not staying with them... :-x

Can they REALLY do this? Whether I am satisfied or not with the service I have to pay to leave?!?!?! :mad2:

That's like going into a restaurant having a meal, on your way out they ask if you will come back and they charge you double because you want to go elsewhere next time!

Thanks for any advice

Alison

if you did not sign or agree to a new contract no they cant.

watch your cra file though.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi and welcome to CAG

From BT:

A cease charge of £30.00 (not subject to VAT) is payable if you cease your broadband service and do not request and use a migration access code or another recognised transfer process to move to another service provider.

and:

This charge is not raised if you are moving home and BT is unable to provide the service at the new address.

From what you posted, you cancelled with BT and as you were moving, you had no need of a MAC code. As you didn't re-sign with BT, they charged you the 'cessation fee'

Personally, I feel this fee is unfair as it penalises you for 'disloyalty' to BT when you move house and I would be challenging it. Just because it is in their terms and conditions does not necessarily make it fair.

As DX has mentioned, make damn sure BT don't mark your credit file over this charge. To be sure they don't do this, I would advise you pay it 'under duress' and complain, going all the way to the ombudsman if necessary.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

It's not only BT that charge this. Most ADSL broadband providers will charge you this when you simply cancel the broadband outright without moving to a new provider. My parents got whacked with this when they cancelled ADSL to move to Virgin Fibre Optic internet.

I believe the reason for the charge is that when you outright end the broadband, someone does have to visit the Exchange to physically do something (at least this is how it was explained to me at the time) so the charge is to cover the cost of that.