CCS Collect DHSS debt

theshuffler
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3848 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly I live in N.Ireland

I know laws can be different here at times.

The other half recieved a phonecall from ccs collect the other day

( she had learnt from me never to answer security questions )

The guy was rude but she insisted she wouldnt give details to a total stranger .

Today a letter arrived usual Dca threats . Court seizure of earnings seizure of goods.

letter is about a dhss loan in the region of 13 years old and quoted the Social security act 1992 N.I ????????

Anyone know what this act refers to?

Its my understanding that Dhss cannot pursue loans through the court system and it can only be taken from benefits , is this correct?

If so should I report the DCA for making threats?

We are not unduly worried as the amount isnt a lot however I do love a fight with a Dca

and it has been a while since I wiped the floor with one.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hmm, will try and find some help for you :)

Is there any chance you can depersonalise, and scan in your letter for us to see ? Please follow instructions below to do this.

Dx100 – Instructions on uploading pdfs

Scan the required letters/agreements/sheets

as a picture file

remove all personal info including barcodes etc. using paint

but leave all figures and dates.

Go to one of the many free online pdf converter websites

convert the image to pdf format.

or if you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

open a new message box here

hit go advanced below the message box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

NB: you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.

Then hit reply button

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes they can use external DCA (to intimidate only)....as they are now unable to deduct from source...but yours wont amount to much its statute barred so will never see the inside of a County Court.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks folks

The letter basics

Our client Department for Social Development has authorised us to recover the full amount to them as shown above . This is a FORMAL notice of intended court action. We may take action if you fail to pay the full amount in 7 days.

Our client is prepared to litigate under the social security act ( N.I 1992 ) If court action is taken and a court order obtained the following may occur

Seizure and sale of moveable property by an officer of the court

Decductions from your wages under a court order

A court order may make getting credit difficult

Please note we cannot except credit card payments on this account ????????

Edited by theshuffler

this is all i can find in the act 78

Recovery of social fund awards(1)A social fund award which is repayable shall be recoverable by the Secretary of State.

(2)Without prejudice to any other method of recovery, the Secretary of State may recover an award by deduction from prescribed benefits.

(3)The Secretary of State may recover an award—

(a)from the person to or for the benefit of whom it was made;

(b)where that person is a member of a married or unmarried couple, from the other member of the couple;

©from a person who is liable to maintain the person by or on behalf of whom the application for the award was made or any person in relation to whose needs the award was made.

This is England and Wales you will have to check N Ireland :-

Once a decision has been made that an overpayment is recoverable and an

overpayment debt is created between the LA and ‘X’, the LA may choose to

pursue the debt in the County Court. However such action must be brought

within the relevant time limits, which are :-

• six years in England and Wales as per The Limitations Act 1980 (s2)

• five years in Scotland as per the Prescription and Limitations (Scotland) Act

1973 (s6, Schedule 1, paragraph 1)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Cheers , I cant understand the act they are quoting ( perhaps smoke and mirrors, ) what i read in the act says that it must be collect via benefit deductions. Im sure they will phone back I think the other half will need to appoint me as her representive as I have a few questions for them

I would asssume they can...they will have covered themselves for sure.

I will have a snoop about see what I can find on the DPA front.

Hi not forgot you

2 scenarios : -There is no restriction on this within the HB Regs 2006/(SPC) Regs 2006. When debts are sold they are often sold for less than they are worth. But when recovery is proving to be extremely difficult, such as when a debtor cannot be traced, it may be an option whereby partial recovery can be achieved.

Some debt collection agencies buy the debt outright and give the LA the money straight away.Other companies, employed by the LA to take recovery action on their behalf, send the money

to the LA as they recover it and issue an invoice to the LA for commission on the funds recovered.

So it works like an Assignment

Regards

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Worth looking into , though the act does say recovery via benefits , which wouldnt incorporate provision for passing data . Havent heard from them again as yet , will let sleeping dogs lie for a while .

Yes it was in response to the above.

Next letter will be " we have filled in the summons and are about to submit it....last chance !!!! ":madgrin:

A new twist , ccs have somehow gotten hold of the O/h work number and embarrased her at her desk with a call when she was with a colleague . Time the gloves came off , Im assuming there is no point in sending the prove it letter as the loan wouldnt come under the consumer credit act ? If not im sure the principles would be the same they have to provide any proof they hold on request?

Is the debt in both names?

Just ignore them until they attempt any litigation....they have obviously traced her location of employment with view to preparing an Attachment of Earnings...problem is they have to get a judgment first.