HMRC tax credit debt letter out of the blue - not sure what to do

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3732 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner received the attached letter today from HMRC stating that she owes a debt for overpayment of Child Tax Credit and Working tax credit and the dates given are periods ending 05/04/2007 and 05/04/20008.

At this time my partner was still married and living at the marital home and was claiming both allowances correctly up to the time she left on the 20th November 2008

She has a letter from the tax office confirming that she stopped both working tax and child tax credit on the 20th November which was the last day she lived at the marital home.

My partner then did not live with her children (she lived round the corner in a house share) and claimed nothing from the time she left to March this year. She did pay CSA payments in the time she was the absent parent.

My partner got divorced in 2009 and moved in with me in August 2012, the only one of her children still under the age of 18 (17 at the time) came to live with us in November 2012.

As his father refused to give him any money my partner went to the CSA to make a claim and claimed the child allowance (he was still claiming it up to that point) in March 2013.

Now this letter has arrived claiming a debt of over payments for the child and working tax credits for 4 and 5 years ago - not sure why or what we should do, any advice please?

set your default scan page size to A4 less than 300DPI [150 will do]

scan the required letters/agreements/sheets - as a picture[jpg] file

don't forget you can use a mobile phone or a digital camera too!!

'

BUT......

ENSURE: remove all pers info inc. barcodes etc using paint program

but leave all monetary figures and dates.

{DO NOT USE A BIRO OR PEN OR USE SEE THRU TAPE OR LABELS]

try www.pdfescape.com TO BLANK STUFF,

or

DO IT IN MSPAINT.EXE or any photo editing program

goto one of the many free online pdf converter websites ...

http://freejpgtopdf.com/

if you have multiple scans/pics

put them in a word doc FIRST and convert that to PDF

or use www.pdfmerge.com

convert existing PC files to PDF [office has an installable print to PDF option]

it would be better to upload a multipage pdf if

you have many images too rather than many single pdfs

or if you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

or use word and save as pdf

try and logically name your file so people know what it is.

though dont use full bank names or CAG in the title

i'e Default notice dd-mm-yyyy TSB

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

dunno what that was by it weren't PDF just pages & pages of symbols.

attach the file as a PDF please

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

that's better

dx

and they

right that's page 2

how you get a single half page to be 4.5MEG I don't know!

what reg are you scanning at ?

dx

and they

cant see what passing the debt to a dca can do

they cant enforce it

only hmrc can

dx

and they

That's what I thought and any DCA turning up at my door will get short shrift from me.

What's odd is why haven't they chased her before for this and why does it go back to 2007 and 2008 for over payments - bearing in mind she was legit in claiming it and stopped it the day she left the marital home so there shouldn't be any over payments.

If this was enforceable then surely they would have chased it before?

She has pretty much lived in one place since leaving the marital home up to moving in with me and she works so she pays tax as a PAYE employee so it's not like she's hard to find.

If you are referring to it not being unenforceable because you think it to be Statute Barred, debts from the public purse never become SB. It may be UE in terms of it being incorrect. You need to dispute this all the way. The DWP are appalling and act as judge and jury on this type of thing.

They do use a range of DCA's nowadays who, I assume, have the powers of a normal DCA - but remember that includes acting with the OC which is likely here.

Phone their helpline and ask how to appeal this overpayment. Be prepared to keep battling, even when they tell you it can't go any further - they lie!

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

yes they do lie!

I believe that the only think they can do is take it from future benefits.

however you seem to have evidence that its notright anyhow

so go with that route first.

dx

and they

If you are referring to it not being unenforceable because you think it to be Statute Barred, debts from the public purse never become SB.

Yes they do - as per s7 of the Limitation Act 1980. The 6 years runs from when the final decision re: the overpayment was made (unless there have been payments or a written acknowledgments since).

It's important to note, however, that even though the legal remedy via court action is barred, recovery can still be undertaken indefinitely via alternative measures - such as a deduction from an ongoing benefit; solid provisions were introduced by the Welfare Reform Act which got rid of the decision in Joseph v Newham (this argued that deductions beyond 6 years were unlawful).

** Important **

The House of Commons Public Accounts Committee have arrived at a decision along with HMRC which states that overpayments from between 2003/4 and 2008/9 for which no payment has been received in the past 12 months should not be collected upon. Given this, I think a formal complaint should be there way to go.

See the amendments to the Welfare Act that came into force March 2011, particularly reference to stat barred. section 108.

Edited by BRIGADIER2JCS

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Ta all, so it seems like this: The 'debt' is disputed as she believes it was claimed correctly during the claimed over paid periods and stopped when she was no longer entitled (on the exact day) Am I correct in thinking that from sequenci's post the Tax Office cannot pursue this overpayment through debt collectors/court etc and the only way they can claim it back is to stop any future benefits?

The Welfare Reform Act 2012 change a greater part of this.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Ta all, so it seems like this: The 'debt' is disputed as she believes it was claimed correctly during the claimed over paid periods and stopped when she was no longer entitled (on the exact day) Am I correct in thinking that from sequenci's post the Tax Office cannot pursue this overpayment through debt collectors/court etc and the only way they can claim it back is to stop any future benefits?

Yes, that's likely to be true - but only if the final decision of the overpayment was over 6 years ago, I'm not sure it was. You're better to argue that HMRC have made the decision not to try and collect these old overpayments - look to a formal complaint. Read my above post :)

I've done some digging on the HMRC website and can't find any mention of the decision to not chase these old over payment claims - no surprise there then!

Any links to that information?

Regards the complaint is that via the dispute over payment form on the HMRC or to another department?

As she was married and living with the ex husband in those years quoted as over paid 2007 & 2008 would the 'debt' be half his as it was a joint claim for a married couple?

Finally, if we chose to ignore this are they likely to just send another claim letter next year or take it further? I know ignoring is not the best policy - I'm just thinking about options.

Edited by Homer67

Just another thought - partner is still on a very low income, she works part time on minimum wage 16 hours per week, she doesn't claim anything currently but I suspect she would be entitled to Working Tax Credit.

We are not married and I own the house in my name only, therefore I presume my salary is not considered?

If she made a claim now and then agreed for the over payments to be taken out of it, would the tax office be likely to agree that?

Edited by Homer67

OP - I owe you an apology, I was wrong.

Seq, I think the attached pdf if what you were looking for. [ATTACH=CONFIG]45621[/ATTACH]

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS