Sales of goods act / faulty ipad

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. Hoping for some advice.

Mum has an ipad 1 3g model, roughly £500 cost. Bought from Currys 2 years 2 months ago.

Problem when charging. If its left in charging and gets to 100% it shuts down completely. Can take up to an hour to reboot. For the parents its a lifeline. Elderly, dealing with cancer, keep in touch with skype, emails.

To me this doesnt sound like a battery issue, as it holds its charge. Seems to be more hardware related.

Currys simply state under sales of goods act that batteries are consumables and therefore the SOGA doesnt apply here.

They also tell my parents to go to apple, as they dont deal with apple battery problems.

My questions are...

Firstly we dont know its a battery issue. However , if it is, Ipad 1 batteries were actually glued into the ipad. There is no way for an average consumer to open up an ipad and replace the battery. Therefore i feel this is an integral part of the ipad 1 and not a consumable. I also have a recording i made for personal use with a lady from Apple who states it is 'perfectly reasonable' to expect an ipad battery to only last 2 years. If however the battery is glued in, and made so that the consumer cannot replace it without going to an apple authorised dealer , i dont feel this is a consumable battery in the same way a laptap battery may be. They are in effect admitting its reasonable to expect an ipad to last 2 years only. If a consumer tried to replace the battery themselves the warranties would be invalidated.

Does anyone have a view or advice or whether 'impossible to remove' batteries by consumers are classed still as consumables?

Secondly, Currys simply refer us to Apple. Ive advised we dont know if this is a battery related issue and that our contract is with Currys, not Apple. However, no joy here, they stick to the same line. Any advice as to how to get Currys to deal with the issue?

Lastly, i realise that if i was to issue small claims court proceedings, i would need an independent report done on the ipad to show the fault. Anyone know of anyone decent in the Nottingham or Manchester area.

Many thanks.

Edited by cowboyontherun
typo errors

Welcome Cowboyontherun.

You should write to Currys by recorded saying you don't believe it is a battery problem and you will now be taking it to an apple dealer and will include the cost of the apple technicians report to be refunded.