Large unexpected unknown payment from DWP

Lisbon67
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I checked my balance on my bank account today and was amazed to find out the DWP paid me £800 odd pounds, this has came out of the blue and im mystified as to why they have given me this. Im on ESA benefit and my payments have been at the normal amount every two weeks, this large payment they have given me is just came out of nowhere and ive had no letters or anything to explain it. Does anyone have an explanation or any advice?

Thanks in advance

Don't spend it until you know it's definately yours.

Assuming it does belong to you, you will get a letter in the next few days telling you what it's for.

If it is yours then I'm sure you'll enjoy spending it :-)

Not recently, months and months ago,i failed my medical assesment and then appealed the decision and my benefit was re instated, i got a back payment of around £250 so it can't be a back dated payment surely.

im baffled.

Anyone know if im legally obliged to repay it if they ask for it back?

Depends on what it is, but I would certainly second the advice not to spend it until you are sure. Most overpayments are recoverable, but not those resulting from official error. Finding out what's happened should be your first priority.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Your benefits on appealling would have been reinstated at assessment rate - so my guess is the ESA decision has been overturned by the DWP in your favour, and this the backpayment of whatever group you've been placed in. But yes, check first before you spend it. Though official errors aren't recoverable, BACS errors are.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

• 3 weeks later...