Work Programme soon, HELP!

BiteMe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4050 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi..

Jobcenter are about to put me on Work Programme. I have heard nothing but bad things about this.

Over the past few months I have been looking for jobs that I think I could do ( I have really severe ADHD and cannot do something mundane like sit on a till all day, I would pull my hair out) I am an actor, but aside for applying for lots of acting jobs I also look for other things, as long as they are not till based.

Anyway, I am about to go on the work programme, and I have already seen the general rules ( I won't sign anything etc etc) I am also not happy to be shoved around the system by a private company, but I digress.

I am also going self employed very soon. The money I need to set up my business is very little, and as such there would be no point in me looking for a full time job anymore like the work programme will invetibly attempt to hassle me in to doing.

I am asking if anyone can lend any advice to keep off of this. Reasrch I have done shows that it may be unlwaful anyway? I have also read that JC can keep you with them for an extra 90 days if you are about to become employed? Any help would be appreciated, because I am damned if my ambition will be channeled into free labour for poundland!

Does the mandation letter letter use the phrase "you most do what ever the provider tells you" or words to that effect - If so, write to the JCP+ seeking clarification and point out that the wording implies that you could be required to undertake illegal and/or immoral activities. Unless the DWP/JCP+ can provide written assurances that clear and unequivocal guidance as to what is expected, you feel it inappropriate to have any contact with the provider in question.

When the provider sends you a letter mandating the initial appointment, respond in writing that you are willing to attend once clarification from the DWP has been received regarding the scope of participation required.

Note: This is a high risk strategy that could result in a sanction for failing to attend. Please seek further advice before refusing to attend an appointment "without good cause".

The other alternative is to sign off for a couple of weeks (taking an overseas holiday), and then go through a rapid resign. This would delay the process for a few weeks, but may not be an option if funds are limited.

As for being stuck with a WP provider for an extra 90 days - Once your JSA claim is closed, which it would be as soon as you signed off, no one can force you to have any further contact with a provider. Indeed, if the provider makes repeated attempts to contact you after signing off, they could be found to be committing criminal offence under the Protection from Harassment Act (along with a few other laws).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thanks for your reply. I have not recieved anything just yet. But I will update once I hear from them. What I meant was that the jobcenter will not refer you to a WP for 90 days (at discretion) if you tell them you are to be imminently employed anyway (which is about the only thing that makes any sense) . I do not mind attending if I will recieve useful information about becoming self-empoyed, but I will not be matched to inappropriate jobs, or told to take the first thing that comes along, simply so a private company gets some easy government cash. Which is currently what I feel goes on. I have had issues with the jobcenter before, and won, however I am in unfamiliar territory here!

If you are planning to go self employed then speak to your adviser at the JCP urgently, you may be eligible to be referred to the new enterprise allowance to help finalise your impening self employment.

Once you have been referred to the work program you cannot access that facility.

If you can do that referral to the work program is usually deferred until the outcome of the nea program is completed.

https://www.gov.uk/new-enterprise-allowance

Ah, apologies, I got the impression you had already received the letter mandating a WP referral. If you are scheduled to attend a JCP+ to "discuss" a WP placement, there are a couple of things you can try:

Talk to the JCP+ adviser asking for a stay of execution and enquire as to what support they can provide or signpost you towards - In my area, we have an enterprise advice centre that might provide support and advice for new start up businesses. Explain to the JCP+ adviser that you have ideas/plans that would be better served by local expert organisations rather than a "lowest common denominator" WP provider that has yet to demonstrate an ability to provide quality tailored & personalised support. Follow up on flumps' advice asap, even if it means phoning (or visiting) your local JCP+ office on Monday and before considering any short term sign off periods - I suspect any short breaks in your claim over the last year would invalidate some aspects of NEA support but would be ignored for the purpose of a WP referral.

Second option is to serve a DPA notice (in writing) withdrawing consent for the DWP/JCP+ to share personal or confidential information with any third party or subcontractor - It won't stop them from passing on your contact details, but it may delay them for a few days while they work out a way to weasel around any objections you may have.

Last time I had one of these referrals heading my way, I signed off a couple of days before the appointment was scheduled (three weeks as an xmas casual). On renewing my claim, it took them a couple of months to push the buttons and get me consigned to the clutches of Emma's little harpies.

Edited by Mr.P

I do not mind attending if I will recieve useful information about becoming self-empoyed

I've been on the WP for almost the full 2 years now and I've never learned anything new, relevant or useful from them - about anything. Complete and utter waste of time, though to be fair I've already got 35+ years work experience, which is more than the WP advisors have, so I didn't really expect to get any benefit from it. They are the only beneficiaries of my presence there; a £400 attachment fee they get paid plus whatever commision they were paid for sending me on a pointless course I was already grossly over-qualified for.

I hope you can escape the WP totally, I wouldn't want anyone there for even one day. Best of luck with your business..

Ah, apologies, I got the impression you had already received the letter mandating a WP referral. If you are scheduled to attend a JCP+ to "discuss" a WP placement, there are a couple of things you can try:

Talk to the JCP+ adviser asking for a stay of execution and enquire as to what support they can provide or signpost you towards - In my area, we have an enterprise advice centre that might provide support and advice for new start up businesses. Explain to the JCP+ adviser that you have ideas/plans that would be better served by local expert organisations rather than a "lowest common denominator" WP provider that has yet to demonstrate an ability to provide quality tailored & personalised support. Follow up on flumps' advice asap, even if it means phoning (or visiting) your local JCP+ office on Monday and before considering any short term sign off periods - I suspect any short breaks in your claim over the last year would invalidate some aspects of NEA support but would be ignored for the purpose of a WP referral.

Second option is to serve a DPA notice (in writing) withdrawing consent for the DWP/JCP+ to share personal or confidential information with any third party or subcontractor - It won't stop them from passing on your contact details, but it may delay them for a few days while they work out a way to weasel around any objections you may have.

Last time I had one of these referrals heading my way, I signed off a couple of days before the appointment was scheduled (three weeks as an xmas casual). On renewing my claim, it took them a couple of months to push the buttons and get me consigned to the clutches of Emma's little harpies.

OK, I will do all the things above. I am not very familiar with the site, and although I do try and do things myself I can't find anything about a DPA notice! Is there a template somewhere? Thanks.

Dear Sirs

I hereby give notice that consent, either implied or explicit, to share personal or confidential information with any third party is withdrawn. Should you wish to share information about myself with a third party or subcontractor, then informed written consent shall be required regardless of the point that the DWP/JCP+ may remain the data controller.

Yours, [insert name]

If you have had this misfortune to register on the UJM site, it would be prudent to remove any/all personal information and untick the "share with adviser" box.

A dumb question, but who do I send that to?

And, no I have not registered with UJM. Despite my adviser asking me on numerous occasions. Fortunatley I have a very nice adviser, who isn't aggresive about it, a second reason I don't want to go on this is because they will no doubt send me on to some bitter pencil-pusher who I will come to blows with, as I did last time, when another adviser asked me why I didn't look for jobs on Christmas Day.

Send a copy to your local JCP office, print a few extra copies off and hand one to the line manager next time you go to sign on. Further copies can/should be presented to your adviser and/or who ever does the "we're going to refer you to [pimp]" interview.