Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Please will you monitor the thread for a reply on Sunday. Also when you make posts please can you spice them with lots of paragraph spaces etc because it becomes very difficult to read on a small screen such as a telephone and it tends to put people off.
    • My son purchased a car from BIG MW in April. 6 weeks later we sent a letter confirming we were rejecting the car due to it having modifications we were not made aware of - it’s been remapped and also changes to the exhaust removing one part and replacing with a straight pipe. This was confirmed to us by a garage we paid to assess the car. Things have gone fairly smoothly BIG MW sent their own assessor to the car 9 days ago which states the exhaust is immediately obvious when inspecting under car (something their 200 point check claims to do) and has also raised issues over the front tyres. Now BIG MW seem to have stalled, fobbing us off as to why they can’t confirm rejection at the moment and after good progress, the last 9 days since the assessment it’s not progressed at all. The latest is needing the finance company to confirm the outstanding balance - we paid it off within the cooling down period and have sent evidence of this, plus surely a HPI check they have easy access to would confirm this. So now another week passes with a car that can’t be driven and is costing a fortune to insure to sit on the drive. BIG had the car MOT’d in January and it passed with no advisories but the tyres are very poor and should have been picked up and emissions from the exhaust are high and causing a warning light so I have concerns as to whether the MOT is even genuine. I’ve threatened legal action if rejection wasn’t confirmed today, they are aware I work alongside lawyers who deal with disputes.  Any advice as to how I make them stop fobbing me off with delays and get them to confirm rejection? Also the car has done 2,500 miles since we’ve had it - what sort of deduction is reasonable - I’m loathe to accept any as they misrepresented the car and have dragged this out longer than needed. Thanks
    • Please will you check back on Sunday at some point for a full response
    • Many thanks for the advice. Form en route Monday a little late after sorting witnessing by a solicitor. 
    • Good spot, LFI. So you're meant to find a space, park up and then find a ticket machine within five minutes of entering the car park? Very fair... HB
  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like

Grievance complaint started and now being offered a compromise agreement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts


I have looked through the posts and cannot find anything similar to this. Any advice or help would be very welcome.


My wife has worked for a company for 2 1/2 years and 2 weeks ago she made an official complaint to her immediate director about another director in the company. This other director has upset a lot of people in the company and has made it clear that she does not like my wife and has made things very difficult for her. This has also been the case of the business owner whom took on this director about 10 months ago when these issues started to happen. Before this director joined the company, my wife had a good relationship with the business owner and was well respected.


My wife put up with many issues and I guess you could say she was bullied, although she would not use this term loosely. After work at home, she often would end up in tears about the situation in her office. She eventually made a complaint to her immediate director which was not an official grievance although she did put it in writing to him. Needless to say, the situation did not improve and as I mentioned above, she made an official grievance complaint about the other director.


In the two weeks since the complaint, the director she complained about hardly spoke to her, this situation made things very difficult in the relatively small office where they work, approx 12 people. Nothing has been done about the complaint, no formal letter received or mention at all.


Yesterday she was taken in to the office by her immediate director and told that they (the other director and owner) would be doing a compromise agreement and that she should collect all her personal belongings and leave the office and they would call her this Monday to arrange a meeting.


She was given no letter or anything.


I am not sure where to start with and questions on whether this is allowed or what her rights are. We will obviously need to see a solicitor and how will this be paid for.


This seems to be a very unprofessional way of dealing with the situation and the fact that she is good at her job and has been forced out of the company mainly due to the fact that this other director does not like her and has some control and influence with the business owner in someway.


For what it is worth, the financial director that she reports to has told her that she is very good at her job and he is very angry at the whole process and has argued with the owner and other director not to carry out this action.


I presume that a compromise agreement will wipe out any grievance action, however, we are not sure whether this would be the best course of action for her, she earns £33k a year, what likely amount would she get under an agreement?


If anyone has any advice or experience in this situation it would be nice to hear from you.


Thank you for reading this and I look forward to any comments.


Many thanks



Link to post
Share on other sites

They cannot force a compromise agreement upon your wife, the wording means what it says and AGREEMENT is the key. Basically what they have done is summarily dismissed her which is unlawful and probably unfair as well. The lack of letter is again wrong but use this to your advantage as she can ask for what she wants before it is set in stone.

You are right that the compromise settlement will be worded to wipe out any grievance claim, it also removes the opportunity to go to an employment tribunal, hence the AGREEMENT part. If she is willing to accept a monetary settlement she shoul also ask for a clause that gives her a positive reference and stops anyone in the company from making unfounded allegations of her conduct and character. As regards to cash, it wont be a huge amount, pay in lieu of notice, holiday pay and any bonuses or incentives due and a sum to reflect any other considerations. I would be looking at probably £5000 including the salary in lieu of notice. Any less and she is being sacked without pay and any more is a bonus but less than the cost for the employer's legal fees when they are dragged off to court so dont expect 10's of thousands. These agreements are commonly known as gagging clauses for good reason and are always one-sided in their application.

If she receives a letter stating terms that are not agreeable then she should tell them that she has been unlawfully dismissed as there has been no reason given, no notice period and no procedures followed and that she is on a certanty to win that particular argument so they should rethink and then tell them what she expects. She is in a good position at the moment so she doesnt have to accept what is put in front of her and they should know this..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Today she did not turn up for work. With nothing in writing that's going AWOL.


I suggest she either turns up or emails asking for a written confirmation that she is not to go to work, or she'll be in tomorrow...

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If she successfully claimed for unfair dismissal, she would get a basic award as follows:

One and a half weeks' pay for each year of employment after age 41.

One week's pay for each year of employment between ages 22 and 40.

Half a week's pay for each year of employment under the age of 22.

Plus a compensatory award, which will largely consist of loss of earnings to cover the period until she can find a new job. Obviously it is difficult to know how long that will be at this point but try to estimate.

Also worth noting there will be notice pay (although this overlaps with the compensatory award - you can't claim twice). The statutory minimum notice period for your wife will be 2 weeks.

Also try to calculate what pay and holiday pay is outstanding, and make sure this is received.

There is potential for an uplift of 25% on the compensatory award due to failure to comply with the ACAS code.


On the surface this sounds like a classic case of unfair dismissal. I would get out a calculator to tot up the above and use that as your starting point for compromise agreement negotiations. I also suggesting making sure that the reference which must be given to future employers is written into the agreement.




Link to post
Share on other sites

they do indeed. but they usually pay the absolute minimum with no extra for negotiations time.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically your wife has been suspended indefinitely without any sort of written notification until such time as they decide to have her go in to see them. This has been done in the middle of a grievance process.


That's a breach of contract right there unless your wife's contract specifically says that they can do that.


She will still be employed until she is formally dismissed or she chooses to leave.


The 'compromise agreement' will not be worth the paper it's written on unless and until your wife agrees to accept it. Obviously she cannot decide her next move until she sees what is being offered.


If she is not satisfied, or if no amicable settlement is reached, she could then offer her resignation in writing stating that she has been clearly constructively dismissed and that she will be taking legal advice as a preliminary to legal action.

Link to post
Share on other sites



I would suggest that she sends an email or something to the "good" director about her current position i.e. if she is required to go back to work - it is imperative she finds this out and will cover her back if she decides to go the ET.


They cannot just suspend her without telling her why and the last thing she needs is the company to claim that she decided to up and leave.


If she wants a CA that's up to her but she needs to plan for long term consequences as it would be in full and final settlement. Therefore, it should state a clause about a pre-written reference and also state that her dismissal was due to reasons of redundancy as then when she is looking for employment she can state that she was made redundant. Also put in a clause that states the company cannot in anyway victimise her.


The issue is that once you raise a complaint or grievance you are "marked". Your days are numbered and that is the harsh reality. This director is likely to get sacked or disciplined since I think he is still in his probationary period and thus why they don't want to take the matter further.


For settlement I would suggest a minimum if 8250 as this would be enhanced redundancy pay (month's salary for each full year you worked) and a month for the notice period (if it is the usual month). Add on any other benefits. She should inform them that her offer is reasonable and get her to indirectly give the impression that if it went to the ET that it would cost them a lot more and tarnish their reputation.


This is my opinion and I am not a shark, sorry a solictor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Hello and thank you for your responses to this.


Time for an update.


My wife received no further information until last week when she was asked to go and see the "new boss", which she did.


She was told that she is now being made redundant along with another 9 or 10 people.


She asked "can you do that" and was told "I can do what I like", she mentioned about the compromise agreement (which she is still waiting to receive the draft) and was told to "get your solicitor to speak to mine".


That was a week ago, she has still received no correspondence whatsoever from the company, neither have the other people that have been told they are redundant.


Apparently, the owner has fallen in to financial difficulty (with the business) and this guy is in as an "investor" that has come in and now running the business. It looks like they could go out of business as there has been mention of a CVA and they may be possibly now trading under a different name, so who knows what will happen with the business.


I just do not know how these people get away with actions like this and treating people with no decency whatsoever.


My wife has spoken with a solicitor so we will have to see where this goes,I will keep the thread updated.


BTW - the good director has also been made redundant!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree.


So how do you deal with a situation like this:


1. 1 person put on garden leave 4 weeks ago and then told redundant - no correspondence whatsoever, letter or email

2. 9 other people made redundant over a week ago have also not received and letter or email

3. The only director replies to my wife's email asking for help and resolution with "all I can do is pass your message on"

4. The supposed new owner and other manager in the business do not answer calls or emails.


It's not like a big crime has been committed and you can call the police.


These people have mortgages and other commitments and all of them are being ignored - is this common practice?


I said they all should go down and sit inside the building until something happens, but seriously, what else can they do?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Write to the registered busiess address asking for confirmation of redundancy date and when monies will be settled as a start, to get van audit trail going. Just address 'the directors'

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...


Here is a further update on this situation.


At the beginning of April 70% of the workforce received a letter saying that they are redundant and that they are due notice pay etc and that the company is unable to pay this and to pursue the insolvency practitioner for compensation.


My wife contacted the IP and they say they have spoken with the director but had not been appointed as yet.


They all spoke to ACAS and were told to all write to the director and if they have heard nothing then ACAS would take it up on behalf of all of them.


The remainder of the workforce have been paid at the end of last month from the company, so they have paid the staff that still work there but not one penny to anythat were made redundant. It has also now started up a previously dormant company and trading from the new company. There is also suspicion that the new company has taken over orders from the old company.


Monday will be the end of the 14 day period in which the company had to respond.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...