Question about tax, new keepers supplement and fines

J4g3d
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4141 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a car in December 2010 without the log book. The car was damaged so my intention was to have it off road to fix it up and sell it on without the logbook so that it remains as 1 former keeper from new.

Well this process took longer than expected. With the company who sold me the vehicle having it back in their possession for most of the time as to cut a long story short they tried to rob me basically by removing good parts and fitting faulty parts to the car before they sold it to me, so i was in a battle with them to get them to sort it.

In the mean time when i did have possession of the car i taxed it using the green new keepers supplement part. The post office stamped the barcode of this slip.

Anyway now is 2013 so 2 years 2 months later, i do not have a logbook and i do not have tax.

So my question is, when i pop to the DVLA to get it all sorted. When i tell them i bought the car in 2010 will they send me a fine for no tax? because i did not declare it sorn and i only taxed it 1 time. It HAS been offroad but not declared.

Second question is, i tried to be cheeky and i tried to rub off the post office stamp on my new keepers supplement barcode so i could nip to the post office and tax it for the second time (this time i wanted to sell the car as it was now sorted of its problems).

I backed out going as it looked a bit.....dodgey, anyway...will the DVLA accept the green part to get a new log book in my name? even defaced?.

This car has been nothing but hassle for me, cursed, jinxed...however you want to call it. I've lost over 4 grand in 2 years trying to rectify the issues without taking the seller to court and the last thing i need is big fines for not taxing (when i didnt have possession of the car most of the time).

There is an easy way and a hard way to sort this out.

Easiest is to apply for a v5c pay the cash and sort it from there

Hard way is to demand a V5c from DVLA on the grounds that they never issued you with one when you bought the vehicle.#

The origonal keeper of the vehicle when they gave you the green slip should have notified DVLA and sent them the remainder of the logbook for transference of liability. Chances are that they did not. But you are entiled to the V5c in your name for no charge.

I will say good luck with that one. It took me 18months lodsa trub and letters going to and fro with an eventual threat of legal action in similar circumstances.

BTW HINT the registered keeper is the one responsible so they can't have it both ways.

Either they have you as the registered keeper in which case of course you sorned it. Why wouldn't you if you had previously taxed it as the new owner?

Or they have someone else as the registered keeper and it was not your responsibility.

If they have you as the rego then why did they not issue the V5? If the say they have issed you with one then ask them to produce a coopy of the record. That will give the date of change and an issue number for the v5.