Counter sue in small claims court

pocster
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4135 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Not sure exactly which forum to post this too :-)

I wish to take my lender to small claims court for 5k (I believe the maximum claim I can make). A solicitor has mentioned that they may counter sue me for considerably more. Can they do this? i.e. surely if they counter sued in the court the limit would also be 5k ; or do they get the "option" at that stage to proceed legally in a different direction i.e open court hence the potential for an increased counter sue. I assumed I would be "safe" in small claims court from further action within that court.

thanks in advance

Hi,

I've moved this thread to our Legal Issues Forum.

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

They could counterclaim and the whole action could be allocated to a higher track because of their counterclaim

Also depends on what you wish to claim for and why you think they could possibly Counter Claim you...a little history?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

There is some history ; but I get told off if I repost it!. I just wanted to know what they might do. "Counter claim to a higher track" ; they might go for. Though at least 4 times I have asked them to take me to court and they have not done so. Which suggests too me they have some issue with it :-))

It may be time though; to go to small claims and pursue my case for 5k. This will cause an issue and may prompt them into further legal action which at the very least will result in a resolution too my problem.

Again, apologies for lack of info but it just isn't worth the flaming hence why I just ask one simple question from the entire case :-)

All help appreciated!

Who will flame you pocster?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

£5000 is merely a guide that your claim would be allocated to small claims anyway. The judge has discretion to allocate to whichever track he considers most appropriate so claims smaller than £5k can be allocated to fast track and claims larger than £5k can be allocated to small claims. The amount is only one of the things taken into account.

Additionally whilst costs will probably be very limited if you are allocated to the small claims track, again the judge has some discretion and could award some or all of the costs against either party.

In my opinion you should never issue a claim on the assumption that it will be allocated to small claims and you will not have to pay the other side's costs, but should at least consider the possibility that you will end up paying something.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.