Barclaycard debt - SD From BW/Lowells - was set a side- now a Carter claimform threat

sickoflowells
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have been chased for a while for a debt for 2 barclaycard debts. A few days ago a chap knocked on my door and handed me a statutory demand.

I have sent off a CCA request by recorded delivery and am awaiting a response.

Would it be advisable to apply for it to be set aside if the CCA request is not received by the time the demands 18th day has passed?

BW Legal has assured me it wont go any further until the CCA request has been processed,

I do not have this in writing but have been told it on the phone.

I have tried to read up as much as I can but there is so much info on the site im now confused ! :-)

Thanks in advance.

Derek

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try and find someone to help you.. but yes, you should make an attempt to get this set aside.

Just a couple of questions..

Was this the first communication you have had with Lowells/Red/BW Legal ?

Had you previously made a request for the CCA from Barclaycard

Was there any default charges or mis sold PPI on the debt

Or indeed any other dispute that was unresolved prior to the assignment to Lowells

Had you been informed of the Assignment

Had there been a valid default notice issued by B/shark prior to the assignment.

You have 18 days from the date you were served with the SD to have it set aside.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

stay off that phone too!!

never ever discuss your debts on the phone

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hi

thanks for the prompt reply, here are my answers

Was this the first communication you have had with Lowells/Red/BW Legal ?

Bw first yes lowells have sent many letters

Had you previously made a request for the CCA from Barclaycard

No

Was there any default charges or mis sold ppi on the debt

No ppi not sure about default charges, i would have been charged late payments i guess, is this what you mean?

Or indeed any other dispute that was unresolved prior to the assignment to Lowells

No

Had you been informed of the Assignment

Im sure i was yes

Had there been a valid default notice issued by B/shark prior to the assignment.

Not 100% but im sure there was

You have 18 days from the date you were served with the SD to have it set aside.

Thanks, the date it was served was different from the actual date on the letter

Hi debts are from around 2007/8. Last payments in or around early 2009.

Getting it set aside, can I apply for that now, what can I use as a reason? Surely I would need to give them time for the cca request or is knowing I won't get it back in time a good enough reason ?

Many thanks

Hi I will have a look in a bit I posted without realising u had posted the link thanks

There are a lot of reasons why you can set aside....did you take a look at the thread I pointed to in post #7

tonight i will send off the sar to barclaycard, i will also upload images of the documents. I will then ask you to check over my reasons why to set aside :)

is this ok? many thanks for your help

Ok, can we please see a copy of the assignment from Lowells - remove ALL personal information, but leave the date of the letter and the date of the assignment in.

Do you have a copy of the Default Notice issued by the original creditor? If so, then please let us have a copy of that.

If you have an statements, then check to see if there are late/missed/default charges recorded.. especially preceeding the issue of the default notice.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

hi

ok i have checked what paperwork i have, recently i have been returning it to lowells un opened so cant say i have every single letter.

i have two accounts as metioned above that they are claiming for on the stat demand, two b/cards one for around 10k and one for 12k. one card was a standard and one a platinum that was transfered from another card called i24 which i think barclaycard purchased the company?

i can only find one default notice against one of the cards, which shows a balance and then an amount due, the balance being 12k and the amount due 600 !

with regards to charges, on the original barclaycard statements i have there are £12 charges left right and centre for bounced dd's and late payment charges and over limit charges. i also have interest charges for default amounts.

i dont seem to have any assignment or any other default notices, my matters where in a right mess at this point in time and im struggling to sort it all out now. this does not mean i was not sent one though.

if i am disclosing too much info please advise and i will edit i.e amounts or card types.

i will post more info as i dig it out. btw i sent of the sar this afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly if it was me in your situation then I would get it set aside, but bearing this in mind you need to consider whether you are going to stand up in court and fight your corner to, in some cases, differing judges....this thread is a good example - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?372637-Lowell-Hamptons-Statutory-demand-and-threatening-Bankruptcy&highlight=lowell

One letter is from hamptons offering a discount, these two letters were the first I had from them and didnt get any after this, these came in august.

Two other images show charges from the last statements I have. These are from march and april 2009.

the letter from mercers with the 600 demand is not for the full amount, but rather for missed payments.

i have checked and i do not have anywhere any notices where the debt was passed from mercers to lowells to hamptons. i also do not have any record of default notices.

I have sent as mentioned above a cca request and have heard nothing (2 weeks has passed). I have also sent a SAR.

I have printed off form 6.4 and 6.5 to apply to set aside as I have 4 days left to do so, can anyone suggest what reasons I can use.

Edited by sickoflowells

Statute barred occurs when no payment or acknowledgement of liability has been made for 6 years.

BCOBS

If they had made a part 7 claim.. issuing via the county court then that Default Notice would not stand up.

1: It needs to have been issued by BarclayCard themselves

2: It doesnt properly identify the breach

3: I doubt very much that it gives the statutory 14 days to remedy the breach - 17 March 2009 was a Wednesday, but Mercers only ever use 2nd class or UK mail. Although very likely only one or two days short but the 14 days is mandatory.

4: They dont even mention the statutory inclusion of the OFT sheet, so one assumes it definitely wasnt included.

Therefore there are triable issues and the Insolvency court is the wrong place to bring this claim.

I dont think they can charge interest on default sums unless they have sent the proper notice or for at least 30 days after.

BCOBS

Certainly if it was me in your situation then I would get it set aside, but bearing this in mind you need to consider whether you are going to stand up in court and fight your corner to, in some cases, differing judges....this thread is a good example - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?372637-Lowell-Hamptons-Statutory-demand-and-threatening-Bankruptcy&highlight=lowell

Spot on advice

Given the difficulties Lowell seems to have in obtaining any supporting documentation from Barclaycard, the odds of BW Legal being to produce, at a set aside hearing, anything which satisfies S78, S65, or s86-88 of the CC Act is slim to say the least. If you have a reasoned, well constructed set aside witness statement and are comfortable summarising your position in front of a judge you stand a very good chance of setting the SD aside, and landing Lowells with costs.

I personally would not trust Lowells statement that they will not act on a SD whilst a s78 request is outstanding. This sounds like a tactic to delay a set aside request until it times out, ie past 18 days.

• Haha 1

Spot on advice

Given the difficulties Lowell seems to have in obtaining any supporting documentation from Barclaycard, the odds of BW Legal being to produce, at a set aside hearing, anything which satisfies S78, S65, or s86-88 of the CC Act is slim to say the least. If you have a reasoned, well constructed set aside witness statement and are comfortable summarising your position in front of a judge you stand a very good chance of setting the SD aside, and landing Lowells with costs.

I personally would not trust Lowells statement that they will not act on a SD whilst a s78 request is outstanding. This sounds like a tactic to delay a set aside request until it times out, ie past 18 days.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice, the bit im struggling with is filling out the form to set aside, lots of helpfull info and points on the other thread but the main point of it being statute barred does not apply to me.

I have also read that lack of response to CCA request is not enough alone?

"I have also read that lack of response to CCA request is not enough alone"

It should be but it depends on how you get your points across and the judge on the day.....the piece below is a statute !

SECTION 78 (1) CONSUMER CREDIT ACT 1974

(1) The creditor under a regulated agreement for running-account credit, within the prescribed period after receiving a request in writing to that effect from the debtor and payment of a fee of £1, shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it, together with a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor showing, according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer,—

(a) the state of the account, and

(b) the amount, if any, currently payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor, and

© the amounts and due dates of any payments which, if the debtor does not draw further on the account, will later become payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor.

The Consumer Credit Act in section 78(6) States that

(6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;

Not only that but if you look at Kotecha vs Phoenix, they also have to produce the original signed agreement too

High Court decisions (and statutes) should be adhrered to by lower civil courts....