style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

i need help......

..... when i split with my ex husband in 2002 there was a council tax debt of £559.60

- i offered to pay and was told as the account was in his name first i didnt need to pay it off and i opened a new account for the place i was living.

A couple of years later i received a letter asking if i knew where he was living

- i gave his parents address and told the council he had moved to Botswana and then to Leeds and as far as i knew he was still living in Leeds

- the council telephoned me asking if i could confirm he was living in Leeds as the only person listed had stated he moved there from Botswana.

A couple of years later i received a chasing letter taking me to court

- the council lady i spoke to informed me i would be better off going to court

which i did and the court appointed solicitor argued for me and the judgment was i was not responsible and they were to chase him again.

today i have received a letter;

Council tax arrears re XXXXXXXXXXX (address of where i lived with ex)

i refer to previous correspondence (not had anything since the court) regarding the above and would inform you that a balance of £559.60

remains outstanding for the period 01/04/01 to 27/09/02 when you were jointly liable for council tax with Mr XXXXX

i would also inform you that government regulations require that where there is an outstanding amount of council tax

resulting from a joint tenant or partner vacating a property, each joint tenant or joint partner has an equal responsibility for payment.

i should therefor be obliged if you would contact recoveries of the resovery section immediately to make suitable arrangements to clear the outstanding balance.

if arrangements have not been made within the next 7 days further recovery action will be taken to collect the outstanding balance.

I hace called them and tried to explain the situation to be informed there is nothing on the account stating the court decision

and i am worried.

i dont have the money and have a small child to look after so money is very tight ......

......any advice would be appreicated.

Thanks

when was this court appearance?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It's unusual that they never obtained a LO against both of you, although not impossible.

Send them this and see what they produce; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?428-General-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

Alternatively you can just tell them it's Statute Barred & unless they can produce a Liablity Order from that period you will not enter into any further communication with them.

Unlike a normal debt a court judgment never becomes Statute Barred although in certain circumstances the right to actually enforce does.

For the moment you need to determine whether there is in fact a LO in place and the only way that can happen is if they produce a copy as unlike a CCJ a CO is not recorded on your credit file or on the Trust site.

Who is actually demanding payment, the council or a debt collection company?

you'll have to phone the council and ask

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The letters we have in our library are focused on consumer debt & don't really apply in these circumstances.

Just tell them the alleged debt they are referring to is 10 years old and therefore Statute Barred & see what they answer with. ;)

If they do have a CO they should include a copy in their response, if they don't you can ask for one.