Suspension From Work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4215 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can someone help me and give me some advice. As far as I am aware I have done nothing wrong. I work for a hotel. I got a text message from my manager stating he tried to call me but cant get through and he has had a number of issues brought to his attention relating to me. I am now suspended from work with immediate effect. There is a meeting on friday 2nd november to discuss. I called him back but he didnt answer. I then replied "what issues" he said he will discuss with me at the meeting. I asked him if i could collect last weeks wage but he didnt reply. Yesterday i text him again saying "I have asked to know why i have been suspended. You have refused to say until the 2nd November. I therefore take it im on full pay until then" he replied with "Take it how you want I will see you on the 2nd"

Like I say as far as I am aware I have done nothing wrong. I have worked for him for about 8 months. The thing is that he has employed this Latvian manager, which I have no issues with her but she doesn't like me, slags me off to members of staff, etc. She has employed her friends and given them jobs which in turn means that our hours have had to be cut, now we are over staffed - i feel like i am being pushed out, she already got rid of the cleaner we had for no reason and replaced her with one of her friends.

I generally do not know what to do, I am at my wits end.

Firstly, how long have you been working there? Is it 8 months or is that just the time with this manager?

Has he actually said you are suspended?

If you are, then yes, you should be on full pay regardless. Also, I would ask him to confirm it in writing with the grounds for suspension along with a letter formally inviting you to the meeting!

Others here will be able to give you more advice but if you need to speak with someone, you could try and get in touch with ACAS.

Still on the lookout for buried treasure!

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!

Thanks for getting back to me, I have worked there for 8 months and he has been in charge since then. However today, I had a phone call from one of my collegeues regarding my suspension. Apparently the Latvian Manager has said that I have stolen a load of Post mix, boxes of it in syrup. Which I haven't! There is no CCTV on the premises. Nor have I stolen the coke! I'm very worried and stressed out by all this. The boxes are quite big and heavy so surely someone would have noticed me if I had taken it upon myself to steal them.

Hi Nataor,

Sounds like this Latvian manager is picking use off one at a time to get rid of and replace with her friends and you are next on the hit list.

The important thing is to keep written records of everything that happens or is said.

You have the right to know what you are being accused of in order to prepare a defence in advance of the meeting and the fact she has refused to let you know definitely does not reflect well. If the allegation against you is theft, make sure you ask for the dates you are alleged to have stoled from the company, details of any alleged witnesses to the theft, exactly what you are alleged to have stolen.

Remember you have truth on your side and even if this manager does sack you, the opportunity will be for you to take a case for unfair dismissal. In preparation for the meeting on Friday I suggest you have a read of the ACAS code of conduct which outlines how the manager must behave and what is expected of them in dealing with your case, just google acas code of conduct and you should have no trouble finding it.

The other important thing is not to get annoyed or angry and give them another excuse to sack you. I know this is really difficult to do and they will likely try to wind you up to get a reaction, but just remain calm and tell the truth and calmly ask them for as much detail as possible of their allegations.

Sounds like a horrible place to be working and personally I think you should start looking for something else even if it turns out this manager is not trying to sack you. Under similar circumstances I decided to stay and fight my manager and ended up becoming very ill which really is not worth it.

Keep us up to date with developments and remember you have a wealth of knowledge and experience on the forum here so make use of it, ask questions, or even come on just to have a bit of a rant.

Stay strong

DJ

I'm with DJ on this! If it is an accusation of theft, you will need them to provide you with dates and times the items were taken (a generic, during your shift, isn't enough) along with witness statements and proof the items are missing (I would be asking them stock take results if there is no cctv).

It sounds to me if the meeting is an investigation meeting to go over the allegations. However, I'd still expect a letter at least 48 hours before hand from the management inviting you to the meeting.

As DJ says, speak with ACAS as they can tell how things should go! We'll be here for advice and moral support!

Still on the lookout for buried treasure!

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!

I think you are using the word 'Latvian' to imply that any foreign manager is dishonest or bad. It is a piece of information we don't need. Your current manager is bad, that's it.

• Confused 1

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Insist they call in the police, or go to the police yourself if they are falsely trying to frame you for somebody else's theft. It would fall under race discrimination if you are only being picked on because you are of a different nationality. Try to broach this issue at the meeting as you will need evidence of this, if true.

Thanks for the advice so far guys I really appreciate it! I've had a phone call today off one of my collegeues, not only has the manager being telling other members of staff reasons as to why ive been suspended without me knowing properly myself - im now being accused of writing negative comments about the business on trip advisor - which i haven't. Surely i would be bigging myself up in these "fake reviews"... Also my business deals with vulnerable adults which are housed on site for days-months time via social services. Some of these adults have issues, by anger management, no family, immigration, mental illness etc. However one of them threatened me, nothing was done - this was brought to the manager attention. He got caught stealing on several occassions - including a bottle of jack daniels from behind the bar! (Dont ask how - i wasnt there) and the manager said to him dont do it again... then gave him a job????

I'm very stressed out today - the meeting is tomorrow!

Hi Nataor,

Looks like this supervisor is really digging around and trying very hard to find reasons to dismiss you.

However coming up with reasons is not enough to actually dismiss you, they must come up with evidence to prove their allegations. No matter how hard they try, it is impossible to prove you did something you have not done.

Looks like when they suspended you they did not have reason enough to do so, thus why they failed to inform you of what you were being accused of, they did not know themselves. So now they are on a mission to dig up as much dirt on you as possible.

In my personal opinion there are 2 ways for you to approach this:

1) Fight for your job and make it as difficult as possible for them to dismiss you. It seems to me that they are on a mission to get rid of you and even if they do not succeed in digging enough dirt on you to dismiss, they will be watching you like a hawk just waiting for you to make a mistake or a reason for them to dismiss you.

Trust me I have been through this and it makes for an extremely unpleasant place to work, causing you even more stress and anxiety until eventually they do find some reason to dismiss you or you cannot take it anymore and leave.

2) Go into this meeting tomorrow and allow them to throw their accusations at you which you of course deny if appropriate and if they do dismiss, you can submit a claim to the employment tribunal for unfair dismissal. Even if they do not dismiss, you can resign claiming they have made a fundamental breach of the implied term of mutual trust and confidence and submit your claim to the employment tribunal for constructive dismissal.

Personally I cannot see how this relationship can be repaired and unfortunately it is therefore up to you decide whether you are willing to put up with this type of behaviour and cause you untold stress. I realise this may seem drastic and you may love your job and just want to find a way to stay, but unfortunately if they cannot find a reason to dismiss you, they are going to make things so uncomfortable for you that you eventually are forced to leave.

DO you know what the reasons for suspension they are telling your colleagues?

It is bang out of order that they have not given you any notification as to what you are being alleged to have done.

Have you arranged to have a colleague attend the meeting with you?

DJ

He's only been employed for 8 months - he can't claim unfair dismissal unless he can prove discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, race etc. There's essentially not a whole hell of a lot he can do about this, other than vigorously defend himself.

I've seen nothing to suggest that this is a case of racial discrimination so far - just that the manager is abusing her position to employ friends and relatives. If there is any suggestion that Nataor is being discriminated against, that would be different.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Hi DJ,

I dont know what the reasons are exactly but Its something to do with theft - the post mix - why i would steal or how i would steal it is beyond me because i dont drive nor have the means to transport it! The other is writing false negative reviews on tripadvisor - which i havent - the reviews are actually about the female supervisor.

My friend who i used to work with is going to come with me - she used to work there and knows exactly what its like. She actually got sacked from there too - for no reason but she didnt want to take it to a tribunal as she just wanted to leave - like i do now. I do not want to go back - i just want to leave and have done with it and let that be an end to it. Im not scared that the allegations they are making re the tripadvisor and the theft the police could get involved and will seize my computer etc. Im a uni student so literally everything is on my computer! Its a total nightmare for me.

Do you think handing my resignation will be an end to it, then i can just walk away?

It's entirely up to you how you handle it, with regard to resigning. I can assure you that the Police won't get involved over some alleged dodgy Trip Advosor reviews, so don't worry about that. I frankly doubt that they'd do much about the post mix either. I can't imagine why anyone would want to steal post mix anyway, it's a ridiculous allegation.

If I were you, I'd just look for another job and chalk this up to experience. Is there anyone else in the company you'd be able to use as a reference? That's the only problem I can see you having.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

It would look better if it was a supervisor, but it doesn't really matter too much if you're not applying for management roles.

I know all this is horrible right now, but you'll feel much better when you're out of there and doing a decent job with decent working conditions. Try not to worry too much, it's really not worth it. I'm sure you'll be fine!