• Tweets

• First begging letter received from Overdales   ;Blah blah blah, our client's are going to win this blah blah blah we supplied all your documents under CPR   PS you can stop all this by paying £1200 less in a lump sum
    • Right,  so the court hasn't send out the Directions Questionnaires/N180s yet. PE's one is a false one, meant to intimidate you into thinking your defence was rubbish and they are confident with their claim. This is par for the course.  The PPCs do this regularly. However, PE have gone further and written that "a copy has also been filed with the court" which is a lie as the court haven't even sent out the papers yet. Keep a screenshot of MCOL, later on in your WS you can draw attention to their lying and abuse of court procedure. If you've got time on your hands, then complain to the BPA about one of their members lying.    
    • We need documents to be uploaded in PDF format. Uploading in Microsoft Word format discloses personal details relating to you which you should not be sharing. Click upload – to understand what to do. How did you pay for the vehicle? You start by saying that you should have walked away – yes you should. Not only because of the reputation of this company but also if the transaction isn't perfect you shouldn't get involved and you certainly shouldn't be taking the word of some used car dealer. Big fail! Why are some of your letter in black and some the in red? When you get some of the ideas in there – have you use a template from somewhere else? They aren't interested in a delay caused by some fire alarm or something. They certainly aren't interested either by the distress you are suffering. They have hundreds of customers who become victims of this kind of thing. All of those customers suffer distress. Big Motoring World don't seem to be very bothered. What are the faults which exist with the vehicle now? Is it just the splashing? Where is the splashing? What is it that is splashing?   Do I also understand that you purchased the vehicle without trying it at all and the first time you were in it and had splashing was after you had made the contract?
    • A claim was issued against you on 22/04/2024 Your acknowledgment of service was submitted on 06/05/2024 at 13:28:08 Your acknowledgment of service was received on 07/05/2024 at 01:05:18 Your defence was submitted on 23/05/2024 at 21:20:03 Your defence was received on 24/05/2024 at 08:05:43
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Shoplifting boots RLP, no police called

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

stupidly I stole some blister plasters and heel protecters from boots, they were taken out of the packaging, a security guard in normal clothes took me into a back room took my details down form my driving license, the police weren't called, and i signed a 12 month ban from the store. I was also given an information letter about RLP about making a fine/payment to them for my wrong act. I gave the security guard my uni address as i dont want my parents to know, i just want to know do i have a criminal record even though the police weren't called or i was not read my right? and how long does it take for the RLP letter to come though? i just want to pay it and forget about all of this

First, it's not a fine. Only a statutory authority such as a court can issue a fine. RLP have no legal authority; if you hear from them, what you will receive is a speculative invoice. You should not pay it. You were not obliged to give a shop security guard your personal details. If you hear from RLP, come back here and we will help you deal with them.

Second, since the police were not involved, you will not have a criminal record.

Did the shop give you the opportunity to pay for the goods?

no they just told me to get out of the store, i was so embarrassed and appalled at myself. I've also been reading up that RLP could pass on my detail to a theft database is this true? also if the police weren't called there and then during the incident they won't have any knowledge of this?

RLP also maintain what is claimed by some to be a rather dubious database of 'wrongdoers' which they make available to prospective employers or other interested parties - for a fee of course.

We have never heard of anybody whose details have been passed on in this way, and it is a fact that this information would only be available to organisations that subscribe to such a service. Although strictly speaking the Police could be notified of any offence after the fact, this is highly unlikely, and with no Police involvement, they will have no record whatsoever of what you have done. Providing that Boots do not make a complaint to the Police at this late stage - why would they as they decided what action to take at the time, ie to ban you - this will remain the case.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

also does RLP or a civil claim appear on my record? i just want to pay it and forget about it as i know i was in the wrong. it only happened a few hours ago and i'm making my self sick with worry

Hello there.

Please slow down and try to take in the advice the guys are giving you. :) You don't have a major problem on your hands, don't make yourself ill.

This can't appear on your record if the police weren't involved at the time, I won't go into the technical stuff right now, but only the police or a court can give you a record.

Give yourself a break, save the money and trust the guys. :) We're here for you.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

i just dont want my parents to find out as they would be so ashamed of me :( i've sent a letter of apology to the company Boots, i just want the matter gone. but yours sure i dont have a record? i've read that if i dont pay the police will be involved and court dates and such? i dont mind paying the fine, i was in the wrong

yes i have looked at a few threads on here, but i am still panicking. i would rather pay quickly and know i was in the clear with no fear of court hearings or police records or anything that would show up on a CRB check than to just ignore the letters (by the way i havent got a letter yet and i'm worried it will be sent to my parents address as i gave the security guard my uni address as he took down my address of my DL)

What we are trying to get across to you is that RLP is entirely separate to the criminal justice system; paying them won't affect Boots' right to report the matter to the police - which they are extremely unlikely to do.

Paying RLP will mean that you give a significant amount of money, substantially more than the value of the goods you stole (which is all Boots are really entitled to, if the goods weren't recovered in saleable condition), to a company that will still put your details on the Cireco database (it's owned by RLP).

Please read my first reply to you again; RLP is not a statutory authority - they cannot take you to court; they cannot affect a CRB check. They cannot contact your parents.

Boots could take you to court if they wanted to, but it's extremely unlikely that they will. Out of hundreds of thousands of letters sent out by RLP and the like, only a handful have ever gone to court, most of which were employee thefts. Significantly, only one case was properly contested in court; even though the defendants admitted stealing, and the police had been involved, the retailer lost. It's very, very unlikely that a retailer would want to risk the costs and bad publicity associated with such a case. In fact, the Law Commission said, in a recent report, that the legal basis of RLP's claims was unclear.

You realise that what you did was wrong. Paying RLP will not make it right. It will not make you feel better - only poorer. If you think you have a problem, see your GP.

Today you are panicking. Tomorrow you may still feel bad, but not as bad as today. You will get through this, even if now it feels as if you won't.

RLP will send you letters. They will be designed to scare you, but you know what? They're just pieces of paper with some printing on. Why not get a piece of lavatory paper, and a red pen, and write some long, legal-sounding words on it - et voila! you have a perfect facsimile of an RLP letter - only useful.

Paying RLP means that you are giving in to bullies whose only interest is to line their own pockets with your money.

Correct. In theory they COULD, but they are very unlikely to. One of RLP's favourite tricks for those that don't pay up on demand is to then claim that they may refer the matter to the police in the light of your admission of guilt, however this would then be bordering on blackmail - pay up or else - so would be very unlikely to happen.

Just so that you are aware of the process, RLP are the company contracted by Boots to issue claims for 'civil recovery'. IN cases such as yours, irrespective of whether police were involved or not, they will write and claim a sum of money on behalf of Boots in order to compensate them for your act of wrongdoing - most likely £87.50 unless they were very expensive plasters in which case it will be £137.50. They will claim that this is to cover staff time involved in dealing with you plus a contribution towards the cost of providing security equipment. They will claim that their case is backed by extensive legal precedent and that failure to pay will result in a County Court (note - civil not criminal) in order to recover the amount. In reality, whilst they issue many thousands of such claims, and many pay up to avoid the possible embarrassment and shame, not to mention the prospect of legal action, there is an increasing percentage who have taken advice from various sources, and have discovered that the legal position is very different to that which RLP would have you believe. RLP like to pick cases where they are likely to obtain judgment by default, or where serial shoplifting is involved so that the judge is likely to be more sympathetic. In a recent case where they proceeded with court action and a robust defence was put forward, RLP lost their case as the judge agreed with the defence argument that the amount being claim bore little relation to the actual costs incurred by the store.

Generally - those who refuse to pay - and we will generally advise that you write a simple letter to RLP stating that you deny any liability to them or any company that they represent - receive letters using increasingly threatening and confusing legal terms in order to persuade you to pay. You may even receive a scary letter from a debt collector, but once again you deny any liability - after all there is no 'debt' to collect, only a request for you to part with money, before RLP will tell you that they are recommending that their client proceeds with legal action. In the vast majority of cases this is the last that you would hear from them as it would simply not be viable to proceed with legal action, especially where there is a diminished chance of success in the light of the recent loss of a case as outlined above. RLP may even copy this thread and send it to you (if they can work out who you are from what you have already said), telling you that we are all nasty misguided people who are 'harassing' RLP and are under investigation by the CID (we aren't, as far as we are aware). Thing is that our view is shared by many other organisations, including the Citizens Advice Bureau and a number of MPs.

So - whether you pay them or not is up to you, but I am sure that you would rather spend the money elsewhere. You have clearly learned from this episode, so why not move on from it. If you want to make amends, then send the cost of what you took, together with a nominal amount to cover the time taken by the security guard to Boots and tell them that if they don't want to accept this to give it to their chosen charity. That isn't to say that we condone shoplifting here, but neither do we approve of businesses making a substantial profit out of civil recovery either - and RLP, who exist after all to generate a profit, would take the lion's share of any money recovered from you rather than this going towards Boots 'security costs'.

Cireco is the company (also owned by RLP) who maintain the database of dishonest people caught in their clients' stores by the way.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

thank you for your advice, just one last question if i were to pay RLP could that mean less chance of police involvement? and how long roughly does it take for these letters to come through?

It makes no difference. Even if you did pay, the police could still be contacted, not that they will do that anyway.

If it ever go to a (civil) court then the maximum they would get would be the cost of the item plus their legal fees. I highly doubt they'll bother though.

I wouldn't pay anything and I wouldn't worry about the police.

IF, a big, IF, it did go to civil court then you have nothing to worry about and you won't be arrested or get a criminal record etc....

Edited by firstclassx

but i've read article that they have up to a year for police to get involved? i dont think i could handle the stress of waiting a year to see if they will or won't

Nah, they won't. If they were going to do it, they do it at the time, not later on.

Police (and court) would want to know why they waited for so long to report it, PLUS, any CCTV evidence would probably have been destroyed within the next few weeks.

but i've read article that they have up to a year for police to get involved? i dont think i could handle the stress of waiting a year to see if they will or won't

You have been given sound advise, in detail from Site team and other respected members.

You are not listening to this advise and want to turn everything into a negative. Just pay them what they want and you can stop worrying.

i have just contacted the store manager as i am in such a state about all of this, they have informed me that due to no police were called to handle the better they will not be informed and that only a payment to RLP to recover their loss will be issued which will not result in my baring to a CRB check

You have been given sound advise, in detail from Site team and other respected members.

You are not listening to this advise and want to turn everything into a negative. Just pay them what they want and you can stop worrying.

Ypu obviously don't understand the highly anxious :-)

Paying RLP will change nothing, although they might stop writing

On balance I think that it is better for littleotter to send the one line reply denying any liability and then ignore everything else.

The police WILL NOT be involved now or at any time in the future, neither will Boots take any action - they will have observed the outcome of the Oxford case.

RLP will get increasingly hysterical, threatening and stamping their feet, but can actually do nothing either, despite their claims

You should stop calling Boots now, definitely don't call RLP

Send the one-line denial when you get RLP's letters (2nd class is good enough, just get a certificate of posting - free from the post office) forget all this and get on with your life

You might want to contact your GP if your level of anxiety is normally this high.

Oh i understand the anxious very well. It's just he is asking for advice from people with a LOT of experience with these idiots. Then simply ignores it and wants to pay them anyway.

The OP really needs to take a deep breath and follow the advice given here, especially the letter denying any liability.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

i am a girl and i am scared, i currently went to see a therapist about my anxiety. i dont not want claims to be charged on me or fear for them in my future, i have taken on board advice both on here and also via my therapist and also by a solicitor. all telling me different variation of what to do

Ok. First, i want to apologise for what i said. It did seem kinda harsh.

Second, take our advice. We have much more experience dealing with this outfit than a solicitor does. We have all the facts surrounding the company and their practices. The solicitor doesnt.

It is entirely up to you who you want to listen to and follow their instructions, but personally i would take the side that has more experience.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

the only reason i am saying i just want to pay for forget about it as they told two address of me, my uni address which i said to contact me through frist and my home address where my parents live, i dont want my parents to find out ever about this as i know how much shame it will bring them and i cant personally bear that. i just want to know if people have information about what would happen if i pay them, do they just go away and that is the end of the matter? the store manager on the phone today said that if i pay the statement given to me by rlp then no charges will be placed or information passed to the police. i am terrified and am making my self ill over this, i.e.: not eating, sleeping, constant crying. (hence seen a therapist)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks