someone used my credit card !!

dorishaslop
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4237 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I didn't know where to put this so hope you'll help.

I left my purse in the pub on Saturday, according to the manager it was handed in immediately. now here's where it goes....

I got a call from capital one telling me someone had used my card to make some purchases and to top up a phone with O2.

When I picked the purse up on Monday I asked the manager just out of curiosity you understand, which network he was on. He told me Vodafone, now the manager is a well known drinker so Monday afternoon I went to buy the hander in a drink but he wasn't there, so I mentioned to the manager that I had bought a new phone and wanted to know what he thought of the Orange network, his reply was,,, "don't know love I'm with O2"

Now my question is... is there any way I can get the number of the phone that was topped up with my card? or is the data protection act going to scupper me from getting justice.

Thanks. Jan

I can't see phone number coming under DPA, there are big books delivered free and in phone boxes with peoples numbers and names and addresses.

You should write to O2 and ask them who it was, you should also report it to the police as theft and last but not least, tell the bank fraud department and get the payment reversed as fraudulent.

Report it as a fraudulent entry to the credit card provider and they will refund, plus they may look into it.

You need to take care, as the card may be cloned. It should be cancelled and replaced with a new one.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Many thanks, I did actually phone the police and they said that capital one should be the ones to chase for fraud as it was theft from them. I will write to O2 and enquire about the number though as I just don't see why this creep should get away with it... I wondered if I should inform the Brewery who own the pub because this man is supposed to be in a position of trust (surely?) and if I can't trust him with my purse for a day then that's very sad. also I think he should get his come-uppance. but I understand I need to be 100% sure it's him, but he claims that only himself and the hander in touched my purse, and if he's the only one on O2 network then surely it's case closed??

Many thanks, I did actually phone the police and they said that capital one should be the ones to chase for fraud as it was theft from them. I will write to O2 and enquire about the number though as I just don't see why this creep should get away with it... I wondered if I should inform the Brewery who own the pub because this man is supposed to be in a position of trust (surely?) and if I can't trust him with my purse for a day then that's very sad. also I think he should get his come-uppance. but I understand I need to be 100% sure it's him, but he claims that only himself and the hander in touched my purse, and if he's the only one on O2 network then surely it's case closed??

You cannot make accusation without proof, otherwise you risk being on the receiving end of a libel action. Though probably not, as that would be expensive to pursue. You could write to the brewery, just to inform them of what happened, without making any accusations about anyone.

The bit that confuses me, is how were the transactions made. There is normally an identifier to say whether it was used online etc. With my CC provider, I have to enter letters/numbers from a password on the security screen.

If the card company tells you where the purchases were made, you could just phone them with the card number and they may be able to tell you where the purchases were delivered.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I know I can't and won't accuse without proof, that's why I need the number, then the brewery can check if it's his or not. I think that the phone was topped up over the telephone so all he needed would be the card number and the three digit security code.

I am still waiting for the fraud letter from capital one with the details of the transactions on.

well well, it turns out that the guy I suspect, as I've said is the manager of our local pub,, I was chatting to another regular today and it seems the pub is to close this weekend, the man has been made redundant and must be off the premises by Saturday lunchtime.. I think I got off lucky now, as if he has found somewhere else to live he could have moved on without me being any the wiser and I couldn't chase him without a forwarding address. to think that he could have spent a lot more is frightening. I think I'll just count my blessings and put his misfortune down to Karma. Luckily I have cancelled all the cards I had in my purse and new ones are on their way.. Thanks for all the good advice though friends xxxx