Galaxy S2 Screen Broken - Automatically my fault according to T-mobile

Andrew-P
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Galaxy S2 is currently with T-mobile for assessment as a result of a broken screen (under the glass) and the view of the shop was that as it was a broken screen it was automatically my fault.

I am at a loss as to how they can know this without even seeing the phone. Hence why I was unprepared to pre-authorise a repair without knowing the cost first.

I have no issue with paying if it is my fault (like I did when I put a phone through the washing machine or when I dropped one on a sharp stone and shattered the screen or when I left one on the car roof and drove off only to see it bounce in the rear view mirror!) but this time it was very different as the screen went black as if power had gone and it needed to be switched back on - i initially thought it was a power fault. The next day I discovered a crack in the screen.

Following research I have found that there are issues with some Samsung phones overheating and this cracking the screen and, as my phone has gone very hot on a few occasions recently, think this was the problem.

Any advice on how to respone if, as I expect they will, they say its down to me.

For reference this is the first problem I have ever had with a Samsung Phone (apart from the self inflicted problems above) and up to now have been very impressed with T-mobile's customer service.

Thanks in advance.

A n d r e w

Cracked Screens are usually caused by physical damage (dropping/ sat on etc) and are usually not covered by warranties.

In the instance, you've described it's hard to say what the actual cause is without a proper inspection as a crack "under" the glass is either again, physical damage or by another fault such as the "known issues" you've highlighted.

Did you take the phone into a T-Mobile store or is it being repaired via a phone call to Customer Services? If the latter and all you reported was a cracked screen, then T-Mobile would automatically assume it's the physical damage case.

I would get Samsung to confirm to you in writing the "known issues" of the overheating/ cracking so you can persue that option if T-Mobile refuse to repair. You never know, they might repair it as the repair centre are aware of the known issues!

Still on the lookout for buried treasure!

Any advice I give here is based on my own experiences throughout my life, career and training and should not be taken as accurate. If in doubt, speak to someone more qualified - a Solicitor, Citizens Advice to name but two possible avenues!

Thanks for the reply.

I did go into a store but stated the full situation (the staff were very good tbh).

I agree most broken screens are due to physical damage and I have broken plenty of phones then swore a lot and then footed the bill.

This time its different - I will get evience of the known issues.

Well T Mobile did contact me and quoted me £140 to repair.

When I asked for more information I was treated with utter contempt.

Me - So what caused the screen to break

Response - "you must have dropped it as there were some dents on the case"

Me - So what does the technicians report say

Reponse - "it must have been dropped"

Me - So how did the screen actually break

Repsone - I wasn't there when you dropped it

You can see that the person who phoned me did not have customer service or politeness on her list of priorities - rudeness however was!

I do not think it is unreasonable to ask for more information.

Based on the fact that I want the phone and info on it back I said please send it as I can get the reapir done cheaper elsewhere.

Based on calls to customer services (not repairs) I was told this would invalidate my warranty- i.e. giving me no choice but to use t-mobile. Customer services on 150 were very helpful.

As suggested I called the reapirs 'customer service' number to give go-ahead and after being on hold for over 10 minutes and in a queue and told my call was going to be aswered in a minute for at least 5 of them I was put through to an answering machine to leave my number.

Expensive and annoying!!!!!!

This has happened more than once.

If there is a t-Mobile customer rep can you please get in touch as I am not a happy man at the moment.