Wrong reg on PCN

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies, I know this has been asked before but I can't find a recent answer. My local council has issued a PCN (found it on my windscreen) but 1 digit is wrong on the registration number. They have got my tax disc number correct though and i assume they took a photo.

I understand from reading older threads that the PCN is therefore not valid.

My question is, should I ignore the ticket as if it had never happened and wait to see, or should I nip it in the bud and write to say "I have a received a PCN but I have never owned the vehicle with that registration number"?

Thank you for your help

You must respond. You must make it an issue.

If you don't, then you will merely find yourself in the middle of some unstoppable and mechanical process.

Challenge it.

Make sure that your challenge includes a denial that you are liable for any penalty but that anyway, the offence which was apparently committed was commited by a different vehicle as the PCN does not carry the reg no. your vehicle.

Incorrect VRM is fatal to a PCN which cannot be re-issued.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Just browsing previous threads before posting this letter, and general advise seems to be to ignore the PCN entirely and don't respond.... (although these threads are not that recent..)

Are you sure I should send the letter? (sorry, am a bit of a worrier!!)

Actually I disagree. If the wrong VRM was recorded then it is highly unlikely the OP will hear anymore as they will not be able to trace his address to send out the NTO. Even if they do, the OP can prove that the PCN was incorrectly issued as he has (and will) retain it as evidence. So if he does receive the NTO, he can simply get it cancelled at that stage.

I suggest that the OP keeps hold of the PCN and waits to see if he gets an NTO.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Yes, that's what I was wondering. If the PCN is invalid due to wrong reg, surely by writing to them I'm just handing my details to them on a plate. If its invalid anyway, does it matter if I contest it now or later?

There two schools of thought:

1. Do nothing. If the VRM does not exist, the council will realise immediately and cancel enforcement. If the VRM does exist the council may chase the owner of that vehicle, who will only realise the existence of the PCN when they receive the NTO and then has to convince the council that they are not liable. Either way it's not your problem. Should the council realise it's mistake, but continue enforcement by issuing you with a corrected NTO, they are committing a proceduarl impropriety.

2. Inform the council that you have a received a PCN but have never owned the vehicle with that registration number. This will avoid the innocent owner being pursued. The council cannot issue a corrected PCN or NTO to you.

It's entirely up to you as to which course to take.