• Tweets

• This must be part of the new tactic from Evri.  They know they are going to lose. They take it to the wire and then don't bother to turn up in order to save themselves costs and of course they don't give a damn about the cost to the British taxpayer and the extra court delays they cause. This is a nasty dishonest company – but rather in line with all of the parcel delivery industry which knows that their insurance requirements are unlawful. They know that their prohibited items are for the most part unfair terms. They know for the most part that a "safe place" is exactly what it means – are not left on somebody's doorstep in full view. They know that obtaining a signature means that they have to show the signature not simply claim that they received a signature. They are making huge profits especially from their unlawful and unenforceable insurance requirement. Although this is less valuable than the PPI scandal, in terms of the number of people who are affected nationwide, PPI pales into insignificance. I hope the paralegals working for Evri are proud of themselves and they tell their families what they have done during the day when they go home.
    • Your PCN does not comply with the Protection of freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9[2][a] (a)specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates; The only time on the PCN is 17.14. That is only  a time for there to be a period there would have to be a start and and end time mentioned. of course they do show the ANPR arrival and departures  times but that is not the parking period and their times are on the photographs not on the PCN. They also failed to comply with S.9[2][f] as they omitted to say that they could only pursue the keeper if they complied with the Act. That means that they can only pursue the driver as the keeper cannot be held liable for the charge. As they do not know who was driving and Courts do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person they will struggle to win. Especially as so many people are able to legally drive your car and you haven't appealed giving them no indication therefore of who was driving. Small nitpicking point-the date of Infringement was 22/04/2024. They appear to be saying that they can charge an extra amount [up to £70 ] if they have to use a debt collector. You do not have a contract with a debt collector so they cannot add that cost. You paid for four hours so it can only be the 15 minutes they are complaining about. You are entitled to a ten minute minimum grace period at the end of the parking period which would be easier to explain if the car park had been bigger. However if you allow for two minutes to park and two minutes to leave that gives you one minute to account for. Things like being held on the way out by cars in front waiting to get on to Northgate or even your own car being held up trying to get on to Northgate at a busy time. then other considerations like having to stop to allow pedestrians to walk in front of you or being held up by another car doing a u turn in front of your car. you would have to check with the driver and see if they could account for an extra one minute things like a disabled passenger or having to strap in a child . I am not advocating lying since that could lead to serious problems [like jail time] but there can be an awful lot of minor things that can cause a hold up of a minute even the engine not starting straight away or another car being badly parked as examples. Sadly you cannot include the 5 minute Consideration period as both IPC and BPA fail to comply with the convention that you can include that time with the Grace period.  
    • Defence struck out not case struck out...you have judgment  Well done topic title updated Regard's Please consider making a donation if not already to support us to help others.   Andy.   .
    • Hi all, I wanted to update you and thank you all for your help. I am delighted announce that after the case was struck out due to no response from Evri, judgement was issued after I submitted the forms and I was just about to take it to warrant.  today I received an email from the claims department requesting my bank details to make payment for my full award. The process has been long since the initial proceedings  in January i must say your help and guidance has been greatly appreciated.  
    • Quote of the century "Farage pops up when the country’s at a low ebb; like a kind of political herpes" - Frankie Boyle Updates
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Capital Offence

Don Quioxte
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6609 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey comrades! I'm gonna use this thread for postings re: my action against capital one.

Requested on Wednesday (by phone) no DPA letter for statements since May 2004 - they said they would be with me within 7-10 days - assured me I didn't need to write or send a DPA payment - suits me.

Was delighted today to see that Capital One have added another £20 charge for exceeding my £200 credit limit with a £6 transaction on Tuesdy. Rang them in Bangalore or Delhi or Mumbai, and hung up each time until I finally got through to Nottingham:

"Hello you've just charged me £20 for exceeding my limit by £6. Would you be so kind as to consider a refund?"

"No."

"Errm, okay then. What about the OFT findings - do you not realise your charges likely breach the fairness test of the UTCCRs, and are condemned by the OFT?"

"Nope. Totally legal. Read your terms and conditions."

"Yes, but you're t & c's are unfair and therefore unlawful. No court would award you "general damages" of £20 for me exceeding my credit limit by £6.."

"So."

"So please will you consider a refund. I don't want to drag your deceitful, manipulative, condescending, immoral, smelly arses through the Small Claims Court (Okay I didnt say this last bit). Just be reasonable with me."

"No. Is there anything else I can help you with today Mr Cervantes?"

(I was about to go into the whole " well as you've not helped me yet..." but I resisted)

"Yes actually. What is the address of your legal department for me to forward my preliminary letter outlining my intent to pursue legal action? Cheers, Thanks, Ta."

AND SO THE JOURNEY BEGINS....

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

Interesting read.

Keep us updated

Best wishes

Natasha

Abbey-received DPA letter on 13/03, received some breakdown till 2004 waiting for the more recent ones(where most charges occurred)

sent reminder email on 17/4/06

called abbey on 19/04/06 to remind them:rolleyes:

sent another email on 26/04/06:mad:

Approx charges £2500

received £500 refund in dec 06

sent LBA

Capital one- sent DPA letter 17/03

Sent prim letter for charges of £260 14/04

Received a refund £109 awaiting further refund of £151

Settled IN FULL

Barclay card- Sent DPA letter 17/03 sent reminder 14/04

received info claiming £120

settled in FULL

Man these guys are just incredible...

I paid £90 onto this account in light of the fact that I had gone £6 over my limit and they had applied a £20 fee (see my 1st post)...

I paid that amount by debit card on thursday by phone to Capital One.. Now here is one of my biggest ongoing gripes with Capital One:

Why should our payments take 4-5 working days to reach our accounts?!? I can understand if cheque or perhaps a telephone transfer... but when you pay by debit card that amount is either "authorised" or "declined". The merchant (Capital One) KNOWS that they will receive the money...

Yet Capital One insist on holding on to that payment for 4-5 working days before applying it to your account... they don't even show that the payment has been made, so they besmirch your character by putting you through to "payment assistant teams", your account still shows as overlimit online, and on the automated service... it is outrageous. All the while they are charging you debit interest on the balance... (I mean that money leaves my bank account/debit card immediately).. This is appalling and I am considering petitioning the court for costs with regards the debit interest charged during such occurences....

Imagine the scenario:

You are out for an eveing with a friend or a partner, and you decide to pop into a restauant for dinner.

You sit down, check the menu, order your food.

The waiter comes over.

Takes your debit card (they've had a few instances recently where people have made off without paying for their dinner - run with me on this!!)

Goes and debits your card for the price of the meal - and the payment authorised by your card issuer.

The waiter then comes back to the table and says "Sorry sir, the chef won't be cooking your meal until for another 5 working days until we physically receive that money - would you like some complimentary water while you wait?"

I mean it really is outrageous and I need to vent my frustration!!!

I totally agree with you! that really gets me angery when it takes up to 5 working days!!!!! :mad:

Natasha

Abbey-received DPA letter on 13/03, received some breakdown till 2004 waiting for the more recent ones(where most charges occurred)

Approx charges £2500

sent LBA

Settled IN FULL

settled in FULL

Who is in a position to make banks move this money in a timely fashion?

Maybe we should start a campaign against them.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Maybe the 'why five days' is a question we should all be asking more frequently. As Ed says, it doesn't happen in any other aspect of life...good luck Ed...hope it goes well.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

well in most other countries the mooney is transfered the same day!! :eek:

Natasha

Approx charges £2500

sent LBA

Settled IN FULL

settled in FULL

well in most other countries the mooney is transfered the same day!! :eek:

Which makes you wonder - as most of the UK banks have a global presence, what is their clearing period in other countries...?

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Natasha you are quite right - in Sweden and a lot of other EU countries money is transferred within 3 hours (regardless of bank of origin, or destination account).

I keep hearing rumours that the UK will be forced down this route in the very near future otherwise it will probably be in breach of EU directives on free-trade.. I expect there will be some sort of parlimentary review in time?

HOWEVER.. I really am thinking of testing this with my action against Capital One because they seem to be the worst offender.. My experience with other lenders is that they do not make it as difficult for you to credit your account - and also most other institutions at least acknowledge that you have made payment.. yes they might not allow you to have access to the funds for say three days... but they mark your account as having received it... (which is crucial from calculating debit interest).

SERIOUSLY this has dawned on me, it's not just the inconvenience, and besmirchment that irks me.. Nor the often quoted "they are making money out of our money while they hold onto it"... but more so they are actually charging us debit interest during the period as well. Damnit.

Maybe we should start a new thread to gauge interest in this issue alone. See if we can develop a legal basis to challenge Capital One - I know it sounds up there with the fairies but maybe we could get enough momentum on this topic to launch a class action as a test case?

i remember watching a program on tv about this subject i cant remember what countries it was but most clear it within the same day or at most the next day.

The banks over here put our money into the stock markets to earn as much as they can!!

Capital one prob put our cash in the stock markets too for a couple of days, as well as the bank that is holding our money in the first place, thus causing sometimes a 5 working day delay!!

Natasha

Approx charges £2500

sent LBA

Settled IN FULL

settled in FULL

i remember watching a program on tv about this subject i cant remember what countries it was quote]

Ya it was Watchdog or Inside Out or one of those half hour jobs, and the guy was prancing round Sweden asking random strangers to transfer money to his account (all of whom did by the by).. couple years back now?!?

Guest oatman

I paid cash in an envelope into a machine inside my local Halifax branch. This is for customers' convenience to save queueing. I couldn't see the money in my account online. Went into the branch and was told it takes 3 days to clear. "Darling" I said, "but cash doesn't clear, it's CASH." I was told they have to open the machine and check the money before it can be credited to an account. I argued that they must do that every night, but they even denied that.

Also one of their cheque clearances takes 7 days. Work that one out!

I worked in a bank 40 years ago and it only took 3 days to clear a cheque and that was by post.

Banks are crooks and staffed by clowns.

Ha.. I'm putting the windies up Capital One gist of the conversation I just had...

"Hello. I've just spoken to the Office of Fair Trading, and Consumer Direct, they've asked me to ring you just to clarify an issue before reporting you to them.."

"oh really? what's that?

"Well, you know I paid you that £90 on Thursday and you told me it won't show on y account for another 4-5 working days?"

"Yes I can see that payment."

"Well, as it was paid by debit card, you received an authorisation code that approves the payment, deducts it from my account, allocates it to your merchant number, and is guaranteed to be honoured by my bank."

"Yes."

"So my question is where is that money? Why if you insist on not allowing me to have access to it as cleared funds, do you not at least mark my account as having received that payment?"

SILENCE, sound of static, re-adjustment of headset

"See, I've just realised that not only do you bugger me about by ensuring I dont have cleared funds for another week, you continue to charge me debit interest.." (I then launch into a monologue on ethics, the restaurant analogy (see previous posts) and how I am raising a complaint with the OFT with regards Capital One's payment terms...

SOUND OF PIPED MUSIC AS I AM PLACED ON HOLD BEFORE:

"Mr Cervantes, I have had to fill out a form requesting that a manager call you bck within the next two hours to discuss this issue.. blah blah"

Well I don't care, the more hassle I can cause them, the better - they're gonna have to file an injunction for a restraining order against me soon.. and they'll lose that case as well!!!

Any new tactic to keep them on the hop is a good tactic...good on yer Ed.

your out for a night story struck a chord with me. I paid off my capital one credit card in full and 4 days later took my family out to a famous pizza restaurant. My card was refused 10 times. I spoke to somrone at capital one and they said that although the money had been put onto my account it had not cleared and they would not extend me £24.90 to pay for my meal. I was really annoyed. I had no cash on me to pay as pay day was 1 day away. The people at the restaurant were great and said I could come in the next day with the money. When I complained in writing to capital one they said they were sorry but...............

Yes it's incredible. Capital One certainly seem to be the worst offenders out of all the financial service providers.

I have just finished writing a three page complaint focusing largely on the length of time it takes to credit the account, and their failure to implement admi procedures that at least note the account holder as having mad a payment (for interest purposes).. oh and there is quite a good bit on the crap 'automated system' that isn't really automated because it requires you to supply the customer service agent in Bangalore or Mumbai or wherever with all the account information when you eventually get through..

But I think my closing paragraph summarises it quite nicely:

"I invite you to respond to this letter addressing;

i) Capital One’s failure to provide a mechanism whereby customers can credit their account at their own behest and in a time-frame which is consistent with other financial service providers;

ii) the absence of appropriate administrative processes, whereby accounts are updated with payment information in a timely and fair fashion;

iii) justification for the charging of debit interest after a payment which has been approved and made in good faith by the customer;

iv) frustrations generated by the automated service;

v) poor level of service dispensed by your Indian call centre.

You need not reply to the issue regarding your unfair and unlawful regime of charges as per Common Law, Statute, and recent consumer regulations, as this is a matter I am pursuing separately and will be happy for you to defend in the Small Claims Court should it prove necessary."

Well they reckon it costs them £20 every time they send me an automatically generated letter.. based on that, I calculate they will spend the GDP of a small to medium-sized African nation having to "manually intervene" in response to my letters...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey comrades..

Busy busy day.. received in post statements relating to my older capital one credit card.. but bizzarely only 3 months worth instead of the 12? Didn't wanna get too uppity on the phone as I had never had to send a £10 request or letter to obtain any f the statements.. when I got thru I explained to the customer service guy (english), who was unnervingly helpful..

"Oh right Mr Cervantes, you only received 3 months, ha, that's not very good now is it..?"

I'mgetting worried at this point thinking Ive rung someone else..

"Right, well let me just call your old account up on screen, yep Ive got it here"

Again, usually this part takes forever..

"Do you think rather than you guys post out the statements again (another 10 working days) you might just go through them with me on the phone.."

Fat chance Im thinking...

"Yes certainly, Mr Cervantes.. Right I can see you had a total of X charges over X months, here we go.."

Unbelievable. I'm now in shock and having to take a tranquilizer to contain my disbelief...

Long story short, got all the info I needed, calculated charges (£320 on £200 limit card over total of 22 months) - just sent Prelim letter.

Also spent afternoon (after coming down off the ketamine), writing yet another letter to supplement the Prelim, where I state without prejudice my genuine concern and shock at the particularly aggressive regime of fees/charges Capital One operates..

Would love to post the letter here.. but it's too long here's a wee taster, an onion barjee before the vindaloo for those of you still reading!!!

"In effect Capital One applied a regime of charges that in total represents 160% of the maximum credit ever offered to me; £320, on a credit card with a limit of £200 over a period of less than 22 months. These charges are on top of the 29.9% APR that has continued to be paid during this period, as agreed compensation for the lending provided by Capital One.

I am writing this letter from a personal and not legal perspective. I passionately believe that such charges and their aggressive application are grossly unfair. If Capital One maintain that their response to my account was within the terms and conditions, and thus ‘fair’, then of course I will have no option but to pursue my claim via the Small Claims Court and I am confident that I will be successful. My motives in pursuing this action are not wholly pecuniary, it is equally about being treated with a degree of respect, sensibility, and fairness. "

Anyways keep the momentum people, we're all individuals customers, but the collective of the consumer is proving a pretty powerful force!!

I have £1180 worth of charges on 2 credit cards of £200 limit.

One card stands at outstanding balance of £473 and the other is £103.

I got a call yesterday saying that my payment (for the lower balance card) was overdue, which it was n't and i was also told that I was over the limity on this card. When I explained to her she was wrong she checked it out and apologised.

My LBA for £1180 is in the post anyway. They should owe my about £700 plus costs and interest

eric i'd be seeing red if I was you..

£1180 on £200 credit limitis absolutely ridiculous... how did that happen? I'm only asking because Capital One are usually very very shrewd - they allow you to exceed your credit limit by never more than £10 before declining the card.. enough to incur the £20 overlimit fee, but not enough to concern them in any way..

I mean this may be a bit stupid of me but I could almost stomach a charge if Id been allowed to kick the arse out of the card and actually derived some benefit - but Capital One are absolutely unbelievable - I am frankly shocked if you really have paid £1180 in charges on a credit limit of £200..

Keep me posted..

Hi - guys.. nice to actually have some news to post in my own thread for once!!

Just checked my account online - having been suspicious that Capital One are following standard format... AND WAS RIGHT..

I sent my prelim letter which Capital One would have received end of last week... They've already refunded £40 onto my account... it's there now?!? I have'nt yet received letter from the ubiquitous "Lee Powell"... but the trend seems to be...

1. Immedaitely refund as a "goodwill gesture" £40. (probably before even getting beyond the first paragraph of our prelim letter).

2. Deny accountability.

3. Assume the "we are right, you are wrong, go read your T and Cs stance".

4. File the prelim in a "actioned" tray (which must be taking up considerable square footage at the Nottingham offices).

5. Hope that the pile will diminish, as customers see they've got £40 back cos we r all so desperate.

Problem for Capital one is... the pile ain't diminishing. It's growing faster than they can print the £40 standard goodwill gesture letters..

I hear they are having to look to outsource their postal service to Mumbai as well.. there just isn't the square footage available in Nottinghamshire..

It gets better.. Received the predicted letter in the post this AM...which was a three sided document in response to the covering complaint letter i sent with my prelim..

interestingly they simply quote various sentences from my complaint letter, and then apologise that I feel this way (apparently that answers my concerns).

I find the childlike manner in which they communicate peculiarly endearing.. it kinda conjours up images of a room full of Giant Capital One Babies with dummies and nappies, all crowded in a room with bright painted walls, alphabets, cots, and babywalkers.. busily typing out responses to complaints and prelim letters whilst watching re-runs of the teletubbies and bob the builder on a giant plasma screen.

The baby theory is supported by the clear indication that no one with a mental age or IQ above that of a pre-school has actually read the OFT report (probably only just up to ABCs) with this delightful statement:

"The OFT has said it believes default fees of £12 are likely to be fair.."

Really?!? Obviously can't count up to section 5.5 then:

"WE ARE NOT PROPOSING THAT DEFAULT FEES SHOULD BE EQUIVALENT TO THE THRESHOLD, AND A COURT WILL CERTAINLY NOT CONSIDER THAT A DEFAULT FEE IS FAIR JUST BECAUSE IT IS BELOW THE THRESHOLD"

So glad I'm in the upper sixth, and they're still in kindergarten..

Oh and they may well prove to be the first pre-pubescents to have the balls to take on the OFT with this little gem:

"We diasagree with their analysis, and believe that our current fees are both fair and legal."

sorry, but I am just having too much fun in replying to Mr Udy's letter today.. I forgot to tell you guys about the following sentence which I just find so apt in describing the sort of "issues" Capital One have..

"I UNDERSTAND YOU FEEL WE'VE ACTED IN A DECEITFUL AND OUTLANDISH WAY. I'M DISAPPOINTED YOU FEEL THIS WAY BUT WE'RE UNABLE TO CHANGE THIS PROCESS."

That is just so eloquently put, Wordsworth, Shakespeare, Tennyson, to name a few would have struggled to match that self-confession.. I read that as:

"We're outlandish and deceitful. We just can't help it."

Ha ha - love it.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6609 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks