Telewest to Talktalk, via BT, and Linksys wireless WRK54G router

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6409 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello could some one have a browse at my problem please

The home pc used to run through ethernet wire and also supplied Internet to the Laptop through wireless Linkksys WRK54G.

The home pC is now connected to the net via a speedtouch Modem sent by Talktalk and connects by USB.

which leaves the old ethernet connecting port free so i have tried to connect the linksys via this ethernet port hoping it would send a signal outwards to the router to regain connection with wireless laptop.

sadly the ethernet port is still looking for incoming internet supply.

does anyone know if there is a way i can still use this Linksys router now im on ASDL?

Many thanks for your time.

BL:)

It seems you are confusing the issue, the router has the broadband modem built in you dont need the speedtouch one anymore.

Access the set up page for your router (read the manual) enter the seting for your adsl connection and plug the cable from the phone line (take it out of the speedtouch) into the router and it should connect, then use the ethernet cable or wireless to connect your pc/laptop to the router.

If all goes well you should connectok, remember you need filters/splitters so you can connect your phones/broadband cables to the phone (it wont work with out them but you must have done this to set up the speedtouch)

if you get stuck reaed the manual for help, its all explained in there.

Sounds like you need to revert to the hardware arrangement you had previously (i.e. with the Linksys router + the WPC54G laptop card. Ditch the speedtouch, USB is going to make connection sharing an issue.

Then simply log into the setup page of the linksys router via the quick setup CD, or via a browser (usually 192.168.1.1 for linksys products but could be 192.168.1.245) and input the connection paramenters for the TT connection, their tech support should give you this information if you don't already have it.

That should be job done.

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

I'm guessing your previous Telewest connection used cable ala NTL? In which case, your router won't have a DSL connection available. More likely than not, you had a cable modem connected into the router via ethernet, and the router then 'split' your connection between your PC and the wireless laptop?

What you will need to find is a wireless DSL router (Quite common item, IE the items on this page: Overclockers UK), which as doghousedean says above you will need to configure to 'dial in' to Talk Talk's service. You will then have a connection available from the router via ethernet and wireless, in a similar fashion you had before.

(NB: Connecting over ethernet is a lot better than connecting via USB, for a variety of reasons)

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

of course, didnt think of cable. i have checked out the priduct and he already has a wireless router, check your paperwork/emails from talktalk for your setting, if i remember rightly it is 192.168.1.1 for the router (i had a linksys router a while back).

just plug you ethernet cable into you pc and the router (make sure it lights up etc) then check your network setting on your pc control panel | Network connections | Local area connection 1.....(could be 2 or 3 or whatever)

then click support. have a look at your ip address, it should be 192.168.1.x where x = a number between 1 and 255 your router will match the patturn eg the last number is only the one that changes. if your lucky the default gateway number will be in (this is the ip address for youtr router.

Open up internet explorer or firefox or what ever you use. then eter the following

1) if your pc 192.168.1.2 or above

http://192.168.1.1

2) if your pc is 192.168.1.1 (this is a guess but common)

http://192.168.0.254

3) enter the value from the default gateway section.x=last number

http://192.168.1.x

you should then have access to your routers settings, follow the wizard if there is one or fill in the form with these setting taken from talktalk website

Most ADSL routers sold in the UK will be ready to connect to TalkTalk Broadband. The settings should be as below. If you have any problems with your router, please contact the manufacturer. We can't offer any support for hardware we haven't supplied.

VPI = 0

VCI = 38

*DNS settings (primary) 62.24.199.13

*DNS settings (secondary) 62.24.199.23

Authentication = CHAP

Encapsulation mode = PPP over ATM (PPPoA). VC-MUX

You will also need your TalkTalk Broadband username and password. You'll find these in the welcome letter we sent.

*may not need to input these.

hope this helps

Erm, as Breadline says Doghouse - the TalkTalk modem connects to the desktop machine via USB. BL's old router is going to be (more likely than not) an ethernet router, as it's from an old Cable connection. In other words, the old router is incompatible with the new DSL modem.

So, Breadline - you will need to get hold of a new DSL router, plug that in place of the speedtouch modem, and use that to connect the desktop machine via ethernet and the laptop via wireless.

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

the TalkTalk modem connects to the desktop machine via USB. yes

BL's old router is going to be (more likely than not) an ethernet router, yes

as it's from an old Cable connection. yes and literaly a few months old and cost £65.00:(

So, Breadline - you will need to get hold of a new DSL router, plug that in place of the speedtouch modem, and use that to connect the desktop machine via ethernet can i not get a converter plug :confused: oh damn more cost :(

thank you all for your thoughts hopefully will get up and running soon

BL

OKay had a good chat with a computer company today and in the mean time untill i manage to buy a wireless adsl router

I can use the Cable router, but it has to be behind the main computer, meaning the main computer has to stay on for me to have teh laptop on wireless ( pain but worth it for a few days) and it may possibly need an ethernet cable with crossed connections.

so im tomorrow im of to conquer this new challenge.

Thought i would up date incase others out there are having the same probs.

BL:)