style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello guys/gals.

I am new to this forum and excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong section.

My query is relating to an incident that happened in my local co-op today.

I was at the checkout waiting to pay for my items and I noticed a guy walking out of the shop with crutches.

As soon as he got out the door, a staff member (maybe security or manager because he had a shirt and tie on) walked outside and immediately grabbed him by both arms and dragged him back in to the shop without stopping to say anything to him before performing this action.

He then continued to drag him to the back of the shop.

Now maybe I am wrong but this seems not a very lawful way to go about things in aprehending a potential shoplifter.

I registered my disgust with the staff guy because I thought he was out of hand. He said that the guy was probably not even disabled.

The other guy had actually stole some meat product. So some of you may have no sympathy for him. I was really shocked.

The staff guy did say sorry to me! I don't know if that is his way of admitting he is in the wrong.

Now maybe I should just leave it at that but I really feel deep inside that an injustice was done here.

Can anyone shed any light on if the staff guy was acting within his rights.

Thank you very much.

I am just moving your thread to the Retail Loss Prevention forums.. where I am positive you will soon receive lots of comments as to this store person's actions !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

No problem, CAG is a maze, I am sure you will soon find your way round :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Impossible to say or advise I'm afraid. You could always write to the Co-Op Head Office to express concern at the way that the person was handled, but I have no doubt that you would get a fairly non-committal 'thank you for your concern but it's none of your business' response!

In terms of the way that the individual was dealt with, whilst on the face of it there is the probability that it was very badly handled - assault springs to mind - but equally there could be a history involved. The man may have been a serial shoplifter, who on previous occasions has reacted violently and the manager could argue that he was using 'reasonable force' to detain him.

Don't get me wrong - this seems to be an appalling abuse, and involving some very dodgy practices which could leave the manager open to criminal investigation, but I also have no doubt that the Co-Op would argue mitigation - if you were to get any information at all.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

It seems very strange actually, that Citizens Arrest does not have a PACE requirement, given that an attested Police Officer, the person with the most arrest powers in the nation would be performing an illegal arrest without.

I personally, would have called the Police to report an assault in progress by shop staff on a member of the public, but I am an awkward sod, and guilty or not, people should be treated properly.

Even IF the guy is a repeat offender, that does not give store staff the right to walk right up to people and just violently drag them away saying nothing- this is the UK not some backwards hellhole like Communist China, or the United States!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I work in Asda, and as far as Im aware: Firstly you suppose to id your self, security, and then, ask them to come back into shop, most shoplifter will know the games up

Once in shop take the to security room, inform them whats going on