Been so stupid, getting investigated by tax credits.

Cat2212
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4294 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got the letter yesterday, not slept and been sick several times, I know it's my own fault though.

Letter arrived yesterday asking why I was claiming as a single parent when they have info from a credit reference agency that my husband stays here-he does.

I started claiming as a single parent when we split three years ago- he only moved out a few weeks but we never changed any bank info etc and obviously there is no proof he did move out.

The letter that came through only says 2011/2012 at the top so I'm wondering if that's all they are bothered about or if they will start to investigate further?

I have been stupid and the only excuse I have is money was so tight at the time that I did not want to give it up then as the lie went on it got harder and harder to own up.

I have already renewed (and lied) again this year which will also go againsed me.

I am terrifiied of going to court and prison.

Am torn between calling them and admitting everything but I dont know what date they think my husband moved back in and dont want to land myself in more trouble.

Also thought about waiting the three weeks until they stop my payments but would they still investigate me or just send me a notice to pay back all 2011/2012 payments which I could hopefully set up a plan for.

I really don't want to make a joint claim, I want to pay this back and never claim another penny again.

Any advice about how much trouble I am in or what the best thing to do would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to phone cab tomorrow but not sure if I should fess up to the three years or hope I get away with it just being 2011/2012

Wondered if I should just phone and say I have taken advice and realise that in my situation I should have made a joint claim and how can I pay it back but if they ask when my husband moved back in I either have to lie or face landing myself in more bother.

Hi Cat2212

tax credits have full records and can view your husbands credit file and yours so take a deep breath.

You know you have made a mistake but you cant undo this now

all you can do is start to put it right.

First thing you will have to tell your husband, he will find out its best coming from you.

Next thing dont phone them yet, if I were you I would sit down and think,

remember if you can the date he moved out and back in.

If he stayed with family, you can get a letter from them to support this....

People do move and dont inform anyone so this is common...

We see it everyday;

Next step CAB or Welfare rights they will help you, they are good.

You will not go to prison, not by a long mile so stop worrying there.

When you remember all your facts, be honest with them, it will help your case.

After seeing cab ring them.....

Why dont you want to make a joint claim, if you are entilted then please apply,

they may assess you as a couple and you may be entitled and they can take the OP out of this new award...

Again chill, think, dont panic and just be honest...

Its can be put right

They will investigate and it could take some time

But you will have tell your husband............

I am sure he will not leave you surely he must have noticed the extra money

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

I hate to say it but my experience with these people is they will always investigate as far back as they can,they will always try to recover the money,dont worry about going to prison,the chance of that happening is astronomical,they will do a big investigation and they will want the overpayment back

No he never noticed any extra money. In all the time we have been together I have dealt with the money.

I am terrified he may be dragged into this though, is that possible? What if he lost his job because of me :(

No he never noticed any extra money. In all the time we have been together I have dealt with the money.

I am terrified he may be dragged into this though, is that possible? What if he lost his job because of me :(

Hello and welcome to CAG. I think you should slow down a bit and stop jumping to conclusions. I don't see why your OH would lose his job?

I think you should tell the truth, because if it comes out later, it will look bad for you.

I'll move your thread to the HMRC forum, where tax credit problems are dealt with.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

your payments will stop, the case will be investigated to determine when they believe the overpayment due to nonreported change of circumstances began, an amount will be calculated that you have been overpaid, and this will either or both be handed over to debt collectors, and the fraud prosecution side.

Not engaging with the process is almost the worst thing you can do, as it leaves them open to make decisions which you may not later be able to effectively challenge as you are out of time to lodge an appeal.

See CAB, and tell your husband.....

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

What is likely to happen to me?

Will it be made public? Don't care about me but my poor family are innocent.

I can actually now understand how these things drive people to suicide.

Cat2212, as it stands, my understanding is that the HMRC are less trigger happy when it comes to prosecution than the DWP. This should be evident from the post that Mikey linked to. On that post, it does state that there are two 'wings' for dealing with suspected fraud, a civil and a criminal one. If you want to fall under the former, then the best thing that you can do is get in touch with them and lay down what has happened over the last three year and why, and be straight up about it, expressing a desire to repay the money that you are due them.

I think you should seek professional advice about this- a CAB volunteer told me they see tax credits overpayments all the time. I would personally try to speak to them or to Welfare Rights if you have them in your area.

Sat in cab just now. Admitted everything and he is now away getting advice from his manager.

He does not seem to know much about this, can't be many lying cheats in my area :(