Confused about upcoming ATOS medical assessment

rebeccarose
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4316 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, I'm hoping this thread is in the correct place as this is my first post, and after searching for a while this forum seems to be the place where I might be able to get my questions answered.

I have been receiving DLA and ESA for around 15 months now, due to severe depression and anxiety. I received a letter from ATOS a few days ago telling me I have to attend an assessment in relation to my benefit claim. I'm aware what ATOS are like, and concerned I will probably "fail".

What I would like to know though, is if I do fail, how long after the assessment would they stop my benefits? Which benefits would likely be affected - ESA, DLA or both? and what the probable outcome is benefits wise if I fail.. ie would I just have to sign up for jobseekers or are there other benefits too? Also if I appeal what are the likely outcomes in terms of money whilst I have time to appeal?

Thanks in advance for any help, I just can't seem to find any answers elsewhere online.

Becky.

They usually take a few weeks to make the decision and tell you - sometimes it's quicker, sometimes it's slower. If you fail, immediately appeal and they will reinstate your ESA while waiting for the tribunal date.

Guest amianne
Hi everyone, I'm hoping this thread is in the correct place as this is my first post, and after searching for a while this forum seems to be the place where I might be able to get my questions answered.

I have been receiving DLA and ESA for around 15 months now, due to severe depression and anxiety. I received a letter from ATOS a few days ago telling me I have to attend an assessment in relation to my benefit claim. I'm aware what ATOS are like, and concerned I will probably "fail".

Where ATOS are concerned it is best to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best!

What I would like to know though, is if I do fail, how long after the assessment would they stop my benefits? Which benefits would likely be affected - ESA, DLA or both? and what the probable outcome is benefits wise if I fail.. ie would I just have to sign up for jobseekers or are there other benefits too? Also if I appeal what are the likely outcomes in terms of money whilst I have time to appeal?

It all depends on their workload. If you appeal you will continue with the assessment rate.

If you fail the ESA assessment AND you DLA award is based on the same condition/needs etc, it is likely that they will review your DLA award as well.

Thanks in advance for any help, I just can't seem to find any answers elsewhere online.

Becky.

With the Welfare Reforms in force now and what is coming up in the next 12 months - Universal Credits & PIP (DLA has been abolished and everyone is to regulary tested by ATOS), there is going to be a lot more heartache in the pipeline.

Thank you for the help guys, I am definitely preparing for the worst atm by weighing up bills etc, so knowing a little more about what will happen after my assessment definitely helps :)

Wish we could be more hopeful but reality sucks at the moment I am afraid...am awaiting result of my own WCA from last week....and am not hopeful.....getting appeal thoughts ready too....

We're not alone but it feels like it at times I know.

At least this forum can help...:-)

Hi:)

If you fail your assessment... request a copy of your assessment report straight away and an appeal form, return the appeal form asap then your money will not be stopped, ESA have a tendancy to stop your claim as soon as a decision has been made and not notify you. My advice is that 10 working days after your assessment ring ESA and ask for an update, if they inform you that you have failed ask to speak to a decision maker to ring you so you can discuss the matter. Also ask for the copy and an appeal form to be sent straight away.

This is what I did when I failed my assessment and I received both the copy and appeal form within 2 days. The appeal form I had already sent off on one that I downloaded and printed off the web. After going through the report, which was full of false statements, missed information and pure fiction I wrote a report on the report and forwarded it to the ESA. I was lucky and managed to get the decision overturned within 5 weeks of failing.

Hope everything goes ok keep us updated.

Ask for your assessment to be recorded.

At the moment this means a huge delay as they don't have enough equipment, so for now you would just continue as you are. Put your request in writing to ATOS, or if the assessment date is close ring them and follow up with a letter.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

You can also use the Atos complaints procedure if you feel that your assessment in not conducted properly. This is not a replacement for the appeal process, but it's an additional option. Be aware that Atos Healthcare Professionals are supposed to consider and note any additional evidence you may have and fully explore any symptoms or conditions (they are notoriously bad at this when it comes to mental health issues). More importantly, they are supposed to consider your everyday level of functioning rather than, as happens in most cases, simply providing a snapshot of your performance during the assessment.