Housing Benefit Query

LashieLand
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4354 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've received a letter today from Housing Benefit. They say they need some further details to "amend" my claim. I currently live with my 4 children, one is non dependent and pays rent and my 2 daughters are 18 and 13 and in receipt of child benefit and child tax credit. My other son who is 16 and left school just under a year ago, no longer receives child benefit as he isn't currently working or in training. He is registered with apprenticeship companies and connexions but as he has little qualifications he is finding it very difficult to find work. My question is where do I stand with his part of my housing benefit claim?? Is he a non dependent until he is 18?? The letter asks if my son is in receipt of a benefit and if not how is he making an income. I'm really confused and worried about this and would really appreciate any answers.

Thank you.

I would say he is a non dependant, you claim no child tax or child benefit for him, so he is not dependent on you.

but dont worry because

No deductions are made if the non-dependant is:

• Receiving Pension Credit
  • Aged under 18
  • Aged under 25 who are on Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Aged under 25 who are in the assessment phase (first 13 weeks) of ESA (income related)
  • A prisoner
  • A student (but in HB only, and only if the claimant and any partner are under 65, there is a deduction in the summer vacation if they take up remunerative work)
  • Has been in hospital for 52 weeks or more

so he doesnt have any effect anyway