How can we reclaim unathorised overdraft fees??

Usury
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would like to ask a few simple questions. I would be grateful if you could answer them for me. They have probably been answered before but It feels like an endless search in the forum threads to get answers. Asking clearly is just easier.

1) As of 02/06/2012, can I reclaim extortionate unauthorised overdraft fees and Paid item fees?

2) If yes, please explain exactly how I can do so.

3) Are their any banks in the world who do not charge unauthorised overdraft fees? Who are they?

Thank you in advance.

Have you thought about a credit union as many run current accounts with far lower fees - or the co-op bank gives you a £200 overdraft to protect you becoming accidentally overdrawn on some accounts.

3cont)

a) Do credit unions have internet banking? If so, please name one and I will look at their overdraft policy.

b) The cooperative bank does charge £20 to set up and renew an overdraft on 'current account plus' account but that is probably the better of all evils as its interest free for a year then I assume you pay £20 again for the next year. Its still a bank though and its still out to rip us off:

Put in www coperative bank and add this to the end of the link to get their charges:

/cfscombi /pdf / Current_Account_Plus_Account_Charges_011009 .pdf

(i cant add links yet because my post amount is lower than 10)

Another thing to not is you have to pay in a minimum of £800 a month

Edited by Usury

It was the premier and premier plus accounts - that include various insurance policies too,

Credit Unions have a statutory requirement to offer their services to a group/type/specification common to their shareholders/members - such as 'connection to an area', 'working in a specific trade', 'employed by a specific local council' etc. So you wound need to check youself.

There's a webite listing all in the UK along with the common criteria they require. In on my phone now so you will have to look it up yourself too.

Firstly, most banks in Europe and in Australasia do not rely on this level of charges for their revenue. Theur model is based on customers paying for their accounts and their transactions. The more you use your account, the more you pay. This tends to mean that the more money you have then the more you pay.

Even British banks - Barclays, HSBC do not use the UK model of extortionate charges in other countries.

Can you calim them back?

Since 2009 it has not been possible to claim them back under UTCCR. The Supreme court held that charges formed part of banks' core revenue and were therefore not assessible for fairness.

However, the Supreme Court did say that this would not prevent charges being reclaimed by other means.

I am not aware that anyone has tried it but I have always thought that charges levied since 2009 could be recoverable under BCOBS - on exactly the same basis that extortionate mortgage charges have been held to be unfair under MCOBS.

If you wanted to try it - or if anyone wanted to try it, then we would support you all the way. It would be an important thing to try.

However it would require a court case but if the figure was less than £5000 it should be a small claim and carry relatively litte risk.

I have a foreign current account. I went overdrawn by about 2 euros as there was a 0.3 euro per month charge for internet access to the account- and I could not find the card for 6 months having misplaced it upon receipt, and never deposited money.

Thinking along UK lines I went in to check how much I owed figuring I could talk them down to one months charge - to find it was E-1.80 as they don't charge for going overdrawn.

I need to ask them if they do mortgages for the UK!!!

• 2 weeks later...