Help please debt not mine!!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4389 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I hope someone can help me please.

I have lived in my flat for over 6 years and pay Council Tax and all other bills there.

A few months ago i received 2 letters from a debt collection agency chasing a debt of over £1600 for my cousin who has the same surname as me, they don't seem to have his first name hence we are both Mr......

I used to live with him at the address up until 2006, the £1600+ relates to bills for August 2010-September 2011, when i certainly never lived with him.

I rang up the company told them it wasn't me and they said that was the end of the matter.

Oh no it's not! It's been passed to some other debt collection agency called GB Debt Recovery.

I've rang them and they told me the debt is for my address. It is not. I said i would send them a council tax bill for this period to show i didn't live there. They are not interested and want my utility company EDF to email them! Of course i ask EDF and they won't. They are not interested in seeing my Council Tax bills which logically i thought would prove where i live.

Please help i feel so depressed and don't know who to turn to for help.

They are threatening me with court. They haven't even asked who the person the bill is actually for as they believe i am lying. I AM NOT.

Thanks in advance.

Jay (on my sister Sal's account):-(:sad::mad2:

I

Hi Jay

You have made one mistake. You allowed them to speak their rubbish to you. DO NOT DEAL ON THE PHONE. Sorry for shouting but that is the only way to get them to give the truth-in writing.

I would use the 'prove it' letter from the library and of course make it part of a formal complaint as they have failed to follow the OFTs Debt Collection Guidance in ensuring the debtor they are chasing is the actual debtor they want.

You are allowed to name the DCA. we have had all sorts here.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks Silver Fox for your very quick response.

Where can i find this letter in the library, is it on this website?

I will not phone them again.

They have not got a clue what they are doing obviously as they even say the debt is for where i live???????

My energy bills are with EDF and not Southern Electric! Wouldn't even let me explain and put the phome down on me!!!!

What is the OFT?

Jay

If you look at the top left of this (and every) page you will see 'library' (in green) click on that and the letters are there.

The OFT is the Office of Fair Trading and this is their guidance

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/OFT664Rev.pdf

It is in your best interest to send letters by trackable means as we have seen many,many times where a DCA (Debt Collection Agency) say they never received a letter.

Never sign a letter as it has been alleged that some unscrupulous companies are willing to photoshop signatures. Better safe than sorry eh!

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

sorry not your debt.

return the letters

not at this address

and STOP phoning the mupets

they have NO LEGAL POWERS to do anything anyhow.

they are a DCA not bailiffss!!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks Silver Fox and DX.

Silver Fox

I had a look and found the library you mention.

First time here so not very with it! And the OFT is Office of Fair Trading.

I will also take your advice and not sign any letters. They are certainly not to be trusted that is for sure.

DX

I will have to open any letters addressed to Mr..... as that is also me but i will return any future ones that relate to this nonsense.

I didn't think they had much legal power. I wish they would take Mr....... to court as i would turn up and show them up to have got it completely wrong.

Is there any way i can put a stop to receiving any more demands?

Jay

Obviously you have to open the letters if they are not specific which Mr Surname you are.. however, for a while, I suggest you start opening the envelopes a bit more carefully.. once you have established they arent for you.. just return them to sender!

If they continue, then contact the OFT.

You do not have to send them any documents - in fact it is probably better that you dont.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Once you have warned them off, officially - if they still continue, thene you should make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman - They do have the power to award compensation.

The OFT are just number crunchers/data collectors - once they obtain sufficient complaints or if they think it will be for the greater good, only then will they act. It does require people to make a complaint to them though.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello there,

Little update, have emailed one of the "managers" and also the general email address with a letter from the library.

Will come back here if i have any more grief.

I don't expect it to be the end of the matter by any means.

Until then folks'

Jay