• Tweets

• I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Employer wants 3 years of salary back!!! - ** Case struck out **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4314 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I really can't see your ex employer getting anywhere with this to be honest, seems like he's had a fit of pique and us being vexatious.

One thing you might want to put to the solicitor is this;

When an employer pays wages to an employee, he obviously has a statutory obligation to deduct PAYE income tax and Class 1 National Insurance on amounts above the threshold. These deductions are remitted to HMRC by 19th if each month (or 22nd if paying electronically)

I note per the court papers that he is attempting to recover the tax and employers NI and yet also appears to be attempting to recover the gross pay as well.

Now, he can't have the penny and the bun, he can only recover the NET pay from you. The tax and NI are already in HMRC coffers so he should

be recovering that from them and not you because you don't have it do you.

Now call me an old cynic, but I wonder if he's trying to recover it from you and HMRC as well! As I say, mention thus to your solicitor, as I am sure he/she will find the information useful.

By the way, hope your daughter has a wonderful wedding day.

Post back here if you need any help, advice or support.

Kind regards

Gbarbm

Gbarbm

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought I was quite intelligent but I never thought once about this and of course you are a 1000% correct - of course! When i left last October they owed a huge bill to HMRC as well as about 100 creditiors massing up to about 1.2m in debt but I am sure they have reduced that in 6 mths (not!)...

I really dont have any other choice than to engage solicitor and thank you for the advise and comments. My wife also would like to thank you and the others as she is really struggling with all of this as she knows how much I put into this company and now treated like something on the bottom of their shoes!

I really dont have any other choice than to engage solicitor and thank you for the advise and comments. My wife also would like to thank you and the others as she is really struggling with all of this as she knows how much I put into this company and now treated like something on the bottom of their shoes!

Please tell your wife not to worry, you appear to have all the required paperwork to see this off, please keep us updated with the solicitors thoughts and eventual outcome, which i am sure will be a dismissal.

Kind regards

N

Did it now pdf attached, thanks

Your former employer must be very desperate to intimidate you...

Is this claim even real? Is it not a fake or something?

I wouldn't hesitate to start proceedings for harassment for this claim alone (first instance when he formed an intentionally untrue accusations; second when he decided to submit them in a court claim to you) and defamation.

Reading this with interest.

I never like to comment on these type of matters (just for info, usually an employment lawyer wouldn't deal with this type of claim and you'd need a litigation lawyer) because it's beyond what I can ordinarily help with. However, this one has me truly baffled.

I would suggest its worth seeking legal advice. Your legal fees will be paid by the other side (providing they don't go insolvent) if they lose, so you may not have anything to lose. Also, a lot of commercial litigation lawyers may do a no win no fee agreement.

I am rather surprised that Ny employer would embark on such a scandalous claim, and I'm sure no Judge would entertain it, for what it's worth.

Hello OMM.

I've just unapproved your pdf in the post following #14 [thread has been renumbered because I took the post out]. Gbarm has pointed out that the employer's details are still visible and it seemed the right thing to remove the name in order to protect you.

If you feel the need to repost the document, please take out the employer's name.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Your former employer must be very desperate to intimidate you...

Is this claim even real? Is it not a fake or something?

I wouldn't hesitate to start proceedings for harassment for this claim alone (first instance when he formed an intentionally untrue accusations; second when he decided to submit them in a court claim to you) and defamation.

While I agree that if this is a vexatious claim (and I can't see how it isn't), the former employer shouldn't get away scott free, I'm not sure that there's much point in starting proceedings against him given the OP's assessment of his financial standing. I think by the time the taxman has finished with him and his creditors have taken their slice (of nothing, probably), there's going to be very little left for compensation payouts. I just don't think it's worth Oldmanmille going to all the trouble of making a claim when all he's likely to get is the bill for the enforcement.

Oldmanmille will obviously know better than me if there is reason to doubt that his employer will be bankrupt in the near future, but unless he knows he has has a spare 1.2 million floating about it's probably not worth the trouble.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Not sure if this has been put into the mix, but if there is no merit to the claim against you as seems to be the thinking, and you and your wife are owed under the employment contract, there may be a case for a counterclaim too. I agree suitable legal advice is needed from a qualified solicitor.

Firtsly all your comments are very much appreciated and whilst it is a big worry for both of us I am hanging on to the feelings that I have done nothing wrong - only to believe the company owner who has turned out to be a horrible individual - what hey ho, life goes on.

So, I took all the advice and sought legal advice. I tried 5 solicitors and two said it fell in between employment and civil. All of therm said they were baffled at why he is clainming this especially mentioning dfismissal when both of us resigned and we have letters of acceptance etc for this. I also forgot to mention that the MD actually signed a reference for me - how bizarre!

Anyway, youi are probably going to slate me for this but hearing the fees from weach of the soilicitors has made me realise I cannot afford to take on a solicitor and yes you may feel this is crazy. However, due to taking 20k drop in salary plus losing my wifes salary and still having all my debts I hope you can understand. each solicitor said that if it goes to court it will cost me circa 9k to defend. I wont get all of my fees back but probably about 90%. I just dont have the money and to be honest my ex employer would probably pay it back at 100/mth - if that!

So, i am going to see citizens advice on Friday to get their take on it and see if there are any solicitors that can offer no win no fee arrangement or comething that will assist me. My intention is to claim against them once this part is over with as they have admitted commission in the claim that they once denied owing me!

I am curently trying to stop one of my sons from 'visiting' people if you know what I mean!!

I dearent drink anymore wine as it givinjg me a bad head in the mornings but at least this goes away for the few hours of the red stuff :-)

I see that your ex employer is going to represent himself (no solicitors details on court claim form)

There is no reason why you can't do likewise, I appreciate that it's a daunting prospect. I have done it myself in the past against a large public body and I won't lie to you, it was very stressful.

I think it's important that you get a defence in and the no win/no fee lawyer sounds like a good idea.

Just get the phone book out and get ringing!

As you say you have done nothing wrong and what's not to say that if you do put in a counterclaim stating that you are going to defend the claim in full on the grounds that it has no reasonable prospect of suffering and is an abuse of the court process.

Gbarbm

I see that your ex employer is going to represent himself (no solicitors details on court claim form)

There is no reason why you can't do likewise, I appreciate that it's a daunting prospect. I have done it myself in the past against a large public body and I won't lie to you, it was very stressful.

I think it's important that you get a defence in and the no win/no fee lawyer sounds like a good idea.

Just get the phone book out and get ringing!

As you say you have done nothing wrong and what's not to say that if you do put in a counterclaim stating that you are going to defend the claim in full on the grounds that it has no reasonable prospect of suffering and is an abuse of the court process.

I didnt notice that about representing himself - now that should be interesting and when I get the court date I will post it as it will be well worth you all coming and watching it as this guy never ever did anything himself he always got me to do his dirty work for him. He would say one thing in front of a person and then get me to sack them - and I am being serious - so him in court defending his actions will be a classic. He will be used to court anyway as he got to defend himself on fraud charges anyway soon for something he himself has done!

I think I had better read this claim form again so I can see what you are seeing :-)

As I mentioned above, it may be worth giving consideration to Summary Judgment and/or Strike Out, these are procedures designed to throw out vexatious/misguided claims at an early stage before either side has incurred high costs.

As soon as you apply a hearing will be set up (before any AQ hearing and/or case managemnet/directions or hearing itself), where you will have to prove that the claim has no legal basis (the POC doesnt state any recognisable course of action) and shouldnt be allowed to proceed.

There is a slight risk in SJ/Strike Outs in that if there is a very small possibility that the claimant has a claim then it will continue to a full hearing, however I note from comments above that the claimant is represented himself, this reduces the risk substantailly becuase all he will be able to claim is some fixed costs and maybe his time (but only at the £18 LiP rate).

It may also be that if he continues as an LiP, a SJ/SO hearing will throw him completely and he wont know how to proceed.

Andy

There's also the possibility that he's doing this in the half-hearted hope that you'll be scared into burying your head and not defending in the first place - it could be that once he realises that he's going to have to make a case in court he'll be less keen to pursue this.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

There's also the possibility that he's doing this in the half-hearted hope that you'll be scared into burying your head and not defending in the first place - it could be that once he realises that he's going to have to make a case in court he'll be less keen to pursue this.

I agree, although worryingly he's already spent £500 on issuing the claim and there will be more costs to come, but maybe he has more money than sense, also if the OP employs a solicitor those copsts could be very large.

I note though that if neither side has legal representation the costs risk is actually quite low even if the case proceeds to the multi-track.

Andy

I wonder if this is an attempt to negate/reduce the back pay/commission the OP says he is owed, too.

From all the information presented so far, I suspect a Cat could successfully defend the claim!

This really is completely mental :jaw:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wonder if this is an attempt to negate/reduce the back pay/commission the OP says he is owed, too.

From all the information presented so far, I suspect a Cat could successfully defend the claim!

This really is completely mental :jaw:

LOL...I agree...I went to CAB this morning and they have made n appointment for me to see their legal advisor but that is not until 21st and I have to have the defence in for 25th but I have prepared it all so no problem I think!

The more and more I read over it and meditate on it I am more determined to fight it tooth and nail.

I notice in the defence papaers/document that the claimant must make every effort to meet with me or appoint a mediator to meet with me and if not has to show to the judge why he hasnt. He of course alos has to pay another 220.00 for the document he now has to fill in and if a meeting with a mediator then some more money. This will be interesting! :roll:

Tanks again for everyones comments...

Sounds like you are on the right path. Dont be too surprised if you end up knowing more than CAB's legal advisor, whilst they are a greatr organisation,. often their advisors have limited knowledge and are good at offering general advice they sometimes struggle a bit with complex cases.

I wouldnt put much hope in the mediation, in my opinion Judges dont put that much emphasis on turning it down but it is of course something you could bring up when the issue of costs arises.

It may be worth looking at the provisions of CPR 31.14 and CPR 18 to request documents/evidence that you wish to see to help with your defence.

It also worth looking at the provisions of CPR24 (Summary Judgment) and CPR 3.4 (Strike Out), the time for this is after your defence but (ideally) before allocation.

It also goes without saying, keep a not of the time you spend on this case, you should be able to claim your costs using the LiP £18 per hour rate and also add on disbursments (postage, travel, etc).

Andy

Regarding the mediation (or alternative dispute resolution) as Andy says failure to attempt mediation will be taken into account by the district judge when considering/awarding costs.

A good case which illustrates this is Dunnett v Railtrack; this is where the judge awarded costs to the losing party (Dunnett) because of Railtracks litigation by intimidation and their out of hand dismissal of mediation.

Gbarbm

Hi, I have been away and now going through form N244 which is I believe the form for CPR3.4 Strike out - is this correct?

Based on this form being correct I have a few questions about it that i am hoping you can help me with: So from the numbering of the form we have:

1. Simple

2. Simple

3. Asking 'What order are you asking the court to make and why?' I have put here '' The claim is both vexatious and false. Neither defendants were dismissed from employment - both employees resigned and acknowledged as such by xxxxx Limited Directors.

The claim is false and fraudulent in both content and intent. The Managing Director, xxxxx, has a known vendetta against defendant xxxxx

4. Asking - Have you attached a draft of the order you are applying for? - what is this?

5. Asking - How do you want to have tghis appliocation dealt with? - I have put '' without a hearing'' - is this correct?

6. How long do you think the hearing will last? - I have put 1 hour - yes/no?

7. Give details of any fixed trial date or period - i am leaving blank as there isnt any.

8. What level of judge does your hearing need? - what should i put here?

9. Who should be served with this application? - what do I put here?

10. Information - easy enough!

Hi, I have been away and now going through form N244 which is I believe the form for CPR3.4 Strike out - is this correct?

Based on this form being correct I have a few questions about it that i am hoping you can help me with: So from the numbering of the form we have:

1. Simple

2. Simple

3. Asking 'What order are you asking the court to make and why?' I have put here '' The claim is both vexatious and false. Neither defendants were dismissed from employment - both employees resigned and acknowledged as such by xxxxx Limited Directors.

The claim is false and fraudulent in both content and intent. The Managing Director, xxxxx, has a known vendetta against defendant xxxxx

4. Asking - Have you attached a draft of the order you are applying for? - what is this?

5. Asking - How do you want to have tghis appliocation dealt with? - I have put '' without a hearing'' - is this correct?

6. How long do you think the hearing will last? - I have put 1 hour - yes/no?

7. Give details of any fixed trial date or period - i am leaving blank as there isnt any.

8. What level of judge does your hearing need? - what should i put here?

9. Who should be served with this application? - what do I put here?

10. Information - easy enough!

3. in here goes - STRIKE OUT ORDER as the applicant has no prospect of winning etc etc etc.

4. YES - this is to confirm you are attaching a Strike Out Order

5. Without a hearing is fine as the Judge will either grant the strike out or set out an allocation questionnaire

6. Can be left blank as you don't want a hearing

8. County Court Judge

9. The applicants details in here

A strike our order is where you detail what you want to happen, in this case that the claim be struck out as having no justification and it being vexatious etc If you need help with a Strike Out Order then please shout.

Hope this helps.

Gordies

Its normally wise to apply for both summary judgment and strike out at same time. The two scenarios kind of cross over and its common to apply for both jointly.

You should mention you are applying under CPR 24.2 (Sum Jud - No prospect of Success)

and

CPR 3.4 92) (a) - (Strike Out - No reasonable ground to bring case)

Personally i'd choose WITH a hearing just so you can answer any questions put forward (although in theory both SJ and Strike Out hearing are generally just done on paperwork before judge but it may be handy to be there, but upto you)

Also if you are doing SJ, dont forget to include the CPR 24.5 info, telling other side they must file evidence 7 days before hearing.

SSooooooooooo. Last Monday I went to my SJ/Strike Out hearing, it went just as I planned, Judge struck out their case for abuse of process (it was attaempt at re-litigation), I found it easy to win becuase the other side ignored CPR 24.5 and didnt file evidence so Judge wasnt plaesed, I got costs too..only £280 (I applied for £900) but was a bit annoyed beacuse Judge didnt know about new litigant in person rate.

Andy