• Tweets

• Apologies dx100uk  I did not put the answers in red  Thank you all for your patience. H
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton  Name of the Claimant ? Overdales solicitors  How many defendant's  joint or self ?  Self Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.  13 may 2024 What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? the claim is for the sum of £6163.61due by the defendant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 for hsbc uk bank plc. Account 4546384809766042. The defendant faild to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a default notice was served under s 87(1)  of the consumer credit act 1974 which as not been compiled with. The dbt was legally assigned to the Claimant on 23/08/23, notice on which as been given to the defendant.  The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £117.53 the Claimant claims the sum of £6281.14. Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?   Not to my knowledge. Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  No Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ?  Online but it was for a smaller amount they kept on increasing this with me asking Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  It was assigned to a debt collection agency  Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? yes  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?  Yes I also made offers to pay original creditor a smaller amount but was not replied to Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  No Why did you cease payments? I was made redundant and got a less paid job I also spent some time on furlough during covid and spent some 3 months on ssp off work. What was the date of your last payment?  May 2021 Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes at the time I communicated with all my creditor's that I was running out of funds to pay the original agreements once my redundancy money ran out that was when my accounts defaulted. I then wrote to all my creditor's with pro rata offers of payments but debt collectors took over the accounts.
    • Just an update for all. I received about a letter every other week, increasing in threat levels. Then I hadn't had one for a about two weeks, then Saturday received a carbon copy of the very first letter they sent me in February. Made me laugh, rinse and repeat. 
    • So, your response was not received by the SCP as you did not send it with a valid stamp. Therefore, from my two option in post #14, the first option is the only one available to you, but you do not have the option of asking to be sentenced at the fixed penalty level as the reason the SCP did not receive your response was down to you. Here's a reminder of what to do: Respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box state that you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. This is a tried and tested method to deal with your problem and is almost always successful. Before the pandemic it was necessary to attend court to do this "deal" because it needs the agreement of the police prosecutor.. During the pandemic courts made every effort to have as few  people as possible attend and they began doing this deal under the "Single Justice" procedure without the defendant's attendance. Some courts have carried this procedure on whilst others have reverted to a personal attendance being necessary. If you are required to attend, your case will be taken out of the SJ procedure and you will be given a date for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court. If that is the way they do it in the area involved you will have to attend, see the prosecutor and offer your "deal" in person. 
    • what device are you using? copy all the questions then come here to this thread and paste them. then answer each question click on red give answers here. when done  hit submit reply bottom right.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Need help please - credit cards & loans and a new baby on the way

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4372 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Here is my predicament.

We are expecting another baby in Sept and my wife will go on mat leave for approx 6 months. She is the main earner in the household so we are going to lose approx £1200 per month.

Est income will be £2000

Est outgoings will be £2600

Outgoings include £900 of loans, credits cards and other finance.

If I could 1/2 the payments I am making to these lenders in the short-term (6-12 months) and make a few cutbacks elsewhere, I think I could make the books balance.

Finance includes the following:

Private loan £20k @ £280 p/m

Personal loan of £8k @ £230 p/m (halifax)

3x credit cards of £6k @ £140 p/m (halifax, barclaycard, vanquis)

DFS @ £70 p/m

Solicitor @ £100 p/m

What I plan to do is write to all these creditors with an offer:

Are they likely to listen and help?

Is there any chance they might freeze interest?

Would DFS try to reposes the sofa?

Any other advice?

I know this is going to affect my credit rating and quite frankly I would be glad of it. Finance people throw credit at me and I am not responsible enough (see above).

The alternative is IVA or BR but I think as it's a short-term problem and we are homeowners, I should avoid that.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Ryan

Hi Ryan

Where do you live ( just the country pls!) as In England the rules and options are diff to Scotland where I am based.

If you are a home-owner and there are assets in the property: e.g your mortgage is £150,000 and your home is worth £170,000 then YES you are best avoiding any secured agreements or asset based agreements like an IVA type thing.

If there are no assets then these options would be good for you as to be quite honest those are fairly large debts with a baby on the way.

Otherwise I would take advice from a free advice service (CCCs or CAB) ( we are not based in England sadly) and write to your creditors with bare facts. I would enclose an income and expediture report ( this is important) as this shows your incomes ( all) and your outgoings ( all) and is your evidence and prrof of what you have to OFFER your creditors and they cant argue with it.

If you offer them a regulat payment OR full and final settlement make sure you do it in writing, fax and email and that they reply like-wise so you have copies. Also make sure they agree NOT to come back to you at a later date for any more interest or costs as "unprotected arrangements" like this can cause creditors to do this.

IVA's are protected solutions for example. We have trust deeds up here: they are safe and would suit your circumstance if you dont have assets as you have to add the assets into what you can offer creditors.

I have 3 children and one is only 1 1/2 so I sympathise with you: living safely and frugaly will get you there BUT you must be more carefull with money and credit in the future. If you dont need it to survive: dont buy it! ;-)

Luce

We live in England

My wife owns our house, but all the debts are in my name. Not sure how that affects things.

We do have about £60k equity in the house, but as it's a joint ownership, it's impossible to remortage to release the equity unless you buy more of the property share. We can't really downgrade as there's not much cheaper in our area compared to our part own deal.

My wife earns £30k so when she returns to work, the problem will almost be solved, apart from the £1000 p/m nursery bill we will then face.

I have spoke to the CCCs about a DMP which sounds fairly promising.

Edited by doughy1882

Hi doughy

I think you need to turn this on its head; are these repayments sustainable in the medium to long term? If not, then a DMP is worth considering; if yes , and it's just a short-term blip, then you might write to all creditors explaining your temporary drop in income. I would not hold your breath about them freezing interest; there is the standard line on reclaiming charges/ PPI.

love

vic

As Vic says, ij the immediate write to all your creditors explaining the situation and requesting a freeze on interest and a reduced payment plan for 6 months. You can then review when your wife returns to work. Good luck with the pregnancy; try and enjoy it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

My wife is expecting and will be going on mat leave in September this year. The loss of her wages means we will be approaching our creditors via the CCCS with a short-term debt management plan.

I think I have that side of things under control but I am wondering what to do in the next 4 months whilst the wages are still coming in.

Here is a rough profile of our debt:

Halifax loan £7k

Halifax credit card £3k

Barclays o/d £2k

Barclaycard £2k

Vanquis Card £1500 (high interest)

As I will be asking my creditors to suspend fees and interest (fingers crossed) I wondered if there were any that are likely to resist.

My thoughts are that the highstreet lenders, Halifax and Barclay's are more likely to play along, whilst Vanquis being a sub-prime lender might play rough.

Also as the interest on the Vanquis card is double to tripple to that of the others, common sense would tell me to try and pay that off before the DMP kicks in.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions about this, or any other preparations I should make before defaulting on the above and requesting a DMP?

Many thanks in advance.

p.s. I am trying to do the opposite of 'burying my head in the sand' by being proactive...

Hi doughy

First, we need to understand exactly what your debts are. What is the "private loan"? Is it from a family member? Also, what is solicitor @ £100pm? When is it due to finish? Also, look at your DFS paperwork and see if it is secured against the goods or not - DFS have a habit of making you think you have HP when in reality you have an unsecured personal loan. What I need off you is to know who your creditors are, how much your current UNSECURED debt is for each and your monthly payment for each. Also, roughly when the loans are due to finish.

Then, we need to get a proper understanding of your essential expenditure. You may already have done this, but if not, sit down and do it! Mortgage, C tax, water, utilities, internet, car loan, insurances, fuel etc... You should also include any SECURED borrowing on this list (ie anything on HP) as you need to keep up the payments!

There is a tendancy for people to underestimate costs - so be realistic and don't think you can do the shopping on £50 a week!!! The whole point is to create a budget that is comfortably SUSTAINABLE for the long term.

You don't say anything about this, but do you have any arreas on anything? Particularly utilities and Council Tax? If you do, we need to account for this also.

Next job is income - what is it NOW, what will it be and when will it drop? Include salaries, child benefit, any other benefits etc. Please be as accurate as you can so we can see how much a month you have. If you have something paid weekly, you need to multiply it by 4.33 to get a true monthly equivalent. Anything 2 weekly, multiply it by 2.165 for the monthly. I see you have already suggested some figures, but I don't know how accurate these really are. What worries me is that you say about making "cutbacks elsewhere" What are these? In my experience, making cutbacks is just kidding yourself - you can't. That's why it's so important to write a realistic budget in the first place...!!!

Anyway, if you can do this and post the info, we'll take a look and see what the best course of action is likely to be for you.

All the best.

If you think you are going to be struggling for a while then you might want to consider reading the following, then contacting one of the agencies mentioned. :) TBH, putting up all your personal finances is NOT a good idea.. sorry dead cat !!

If you are experiencing difficulty in repaying your debts, CASHflow is a way for you to negotiate affordable repayments with your creditors. Before you can use CASHflow, you must have spoken to one of the free advice agencies licensed to offer CASHflow to their clients. The advice agency will start by talking to you about all of the options available, and can help you to decide if CASHflow is the right one for you.

If you decide to use CASHflow, you will be provided with all of the tools you need to be able to complete your own financial statement and negotiate offers of repayment with creditors yourself. This will enable you to stay in control of your situation, but still have support from an adviser at any stage if you need it.

You can contact a local advice agency to check if they offer CASHflow. You can find a list of free advice agencies that are near to you by searching for a money adviser in England or Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland.

Alternatively, you can call National Debtline on 0808 808 4000

CASHflow: http://www.cashflow.uk.net/

National Debtline: http://www.nationaldebtline.co.u k/

https://www.mymoneysteps.org/

Also as highlighted in the CAG newsletter...

There is the new CAB system that might also be worth a look, this system saves all your details, has guidance allowance figures to work with if you wish and you do not need to be invited / signed off etc with this system, just log in and away you go (see below)

(Also, there are a number of other self help tools and systems around so might be worth a little exploration if this is what you eventually decide on.)

http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk/moneyadvice/

http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk/moneyadvice/ (example of completed dmp)

I rather suspect that you will find that most of your creditors wont deal until you do default so perhaps your initial letter should be along the lines of ...

Sorry, financial hiccup, please find attached income and expenditure etc, etc - having worked out your budget the enclosed amount of £reduced value is enclosed as a show of good faith and that you will continue to pay that amount on the Xth of each month.

All secured loans should be treated as priority.. the DFS loan is NOT priority, it is an unsecured loan :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D