DCA - and Ex Directory

Allyxia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6336 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had a problem with a DCA a few years ago (before I wise - worshipping at the alter of CAG) which pertered us with phone calls 10 times a day all hours of the day.

We got an answer so we could screen their calls in the end. But things got so bad that I changed my number.

Im now Ex directory and have call barring.

Now out of the blue the other day the phoned us again!

How on earth could they have got our telephone number?

(they havent called back because this time Id been on the CAG site and we had the "whos calling....Is Mr S there.....Whos Calling.....I cant tell you unless you confirm your Mr S....".) Ha ha Ha... they not called back.

Anyway I digress.... I never ever give my home number out (not even to utlity companies...so ther must be a leak somewhere, any ideas...anybody else had this?

Allyxia

KEEP FIGHTING FOR YOUR MONEY - EVEN WHEN IT GETS TOUGH

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

HSBC £1200 - Settled in Full

Cap 1 2 X £100 - Settled in Full

Nationwide £1641 - Settled in Full inc Default and CCJ Removed by Court Order

NatWest £2215.60- Settled in Full and Removed Default Natice

Woolwich £3690 - Settled in Full

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DCAs have a number of ways of obtaining information. Mostly these are legal (just) but some of those operating at the fag end of the industry use methods that could get them in trouble if the powers that be actually wanted to enforce the law.

Depending on your phone provider you may be able to obtain the equivalent of BT's Choose to Refuse Service. This allows you to bar any number you specify and even the last number that called you even if was withheld. The barred caller gets a message saying that you are rejecting their calls. The service would be even better in my view if you were able to record your own message :-)

Have you completed any application forms or store card/credit card info that would have been added to your credit file? A s7 access request to the CRAs might reaveal the number is there (but not who placed it). Be suspicious of anyones updated data on or after your new line went in.

Also, but I've yet to verify this - NTL provide information to CRAs and could equally likely pass your phone number as - part of your credit record. Being ex-directory, means just that - there's no Ex-CRA option.

Anyone wanting to permanently disappear and is a BT customer you cna opt for a service called NQR - No Quoted Reference. This is normally used by firms who have 0870 numbers and don;t want the public discovering the existance of a normal number. The only people who know the number are BT's account department. The cost of making a line NQR is £0.00

Due the nature of my job (I deal with young offenders and wife abusers) and the resourcefullnesS of them to trying to take whatever greivence out on me, means I have my number blocked when I call out etc etc. I dont even give me number as a security check for utlity bills etc etc.

Since when did It become an offence in the light of organIsatins that you give them your home phone number why cant they just write to me.

Im sick to death of it, couldnt get a mobile phone the otherweek without given my land line number so finally gave up. then they called me (trying to see if I was happy) at 9;22pm, you can imagine how unhappy I was I wrote a letter of complaint the next day!!!

I feel since Ive been on Mat leave the amount of phones calls, junk mail and cold callers (i now have a sign on my door) disturbing me each day is disgusting, sometimes I feel under siege in my own home - AND I LIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!!!!!

• Confused 1

Allyxia

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

It's all about cost - they can contact you at a cost approaching 80% less by using the phone than sending a letter. But you do appear making heavy weather of it. All they want is a telephone number, get yourself an 0870 number from FleXible Telecoms™ - Free personal & business non-geographic phone numbers for FREE. Not only do you earn money when folk call you, you can set up time of day diverts that will stop you being bothered at the hours and days you specify. You may need to change your existing BT number to another so as to start 'fresh'.

not so much heavy waether but with 2 young babies in the house im sick of them being woken up by the door or the phone. Also i think its completely unacceptable for companies to becallingmy home after 7pm at night whatever the reason!!! they may be stuck in work but after 7 when the kids go down i just want to switch off and relax!!!!

As for after 9, well im usually in bed knackered then after working looking after 3 kids etc etc!

i also work a 24 hour emergency hotline for the organinsation im employed by I dont want businesses clogging up my time when im on call!!!!

I really dont think there is anything wrong with having privacy in my own home!! The onlypeople I want to speak to are my friends and family. Not some iodiot askign me if Im happy with their service!!!!

Allyxia

Nooooo! I quite agree you shouln't be disturbed, the 'heavy weather' referred to was in it's so easy to give them a telephone number on YOUR terms, and that you control (and can disconnect on a whim, if you wanted). Consumers have been empowered too - do it! /;)

Sorry read it wrong (thought it was a bit off from you? - see my other post somewhere to you, head in clouds today!).

See what you mean now!!!

Allyxia

get yourself a mobile number (50p per sim card) call all companies you don't like and give them that number and also have a call divert to that number for a while just in case. you soon should be ok.

I donlt think it's as widespread as you think, but many folk are giving out mobile numbers for the very reason they can become dispensible if there's a problem - their usual 'home' number is treated as private. As noted earlier, many applications for credit ask for a mobile number, but also request a landline otherwise the application may fail.

True Okon, ive had credit refused purely on this matter!!!

Allyxia

Flextel's website seems awfully devoid of information regarding your cut when you get an 0870 ...

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

It's buttons really, about 1p/min on an 0870 but as they do sell 'nice' 0870 numbers, I used my credit to 'buy' a number that match the same last digits of my home phone - the credit is then scaled up to something worthwhile!

cant imagine my friends and families reaction though if I do this!!!

Allyxia

Your friends and family would have your direct number though so it wouldn't make any difference to them. The 0870 only routes it to your own phone.

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

Because it's treated with much the same distain (and CRA stigma) as not being on the Electroal Roll. Having a phone that is ex-D isn;t the issue, NOT having a phone gives the (false) impression that you're fly-by-night and your tenure is suspect!

A credit agreement? Not on my BT or NTL line, and even mobile phone contracts are (usually) nor regulated under the CCA as the pupose of the loan isn;t to provide credit, but access to a device that makes telephone calls!

So, if you get a CCA default notice from your phone provider ...?

I'd laugh like a drain! I've never completed a credit agreement for telephone service, nor for my electricity or gas supply, but like DDM's I don't do them either, so I'll be in the minority there then too!

As a side issue - I came across this on a webside for car hire, and they want to check you through a CRA - look at this:-

Rental counter Payment requirements

Overseas Customer: Credit Card: (MasterCard, Visa, Amex)Cash: £500 excess if Mastercover not taken (only £75 if Mastercover taken) + £50 fuel prepayment + passport and return flight ticket and confirmation of the overseas address. UK Resident: Credit Card: (MasterCard, Visa, Amex) must be in drivers name. The hire must have sufficient funds to cover the £500 excess if Mastercover not taken (£75 if Mastercover taken) + £50 fuel prepayment.Cash: (not allowed if renter under 25).Some locations only accept credit card (see appendix 2). An Equifax credit check will be requested: No cash accepted on Sundays or Public Holidays, unless an Equifax credit check is carried out in advance. (advise to pre-qualify to avoid disappointment) Equifax opening hours: Monday to Friday 08.00 – 18.00 and Saturday 08.00 – 13.00 The hire must have sufficient funds to cover the £500 excess if Mastercover not taken (only £75 if Mastercover taken) + £50 fuel prepayment. Two telephone references must be taken. One of these MUST be employer number. If unemployed telephone numbers must be verified in the telephone directory or by directory enquiries. Mobile, taxi company and unlisted numbers are not acceptable. "

Needless to say, I didn't bother!

I didn't necessarily mean a credit agreement within the meaning of the Act. I meant the plain English - an agreement which allows you credit.

IOW, you pay for your calls at the end of the quarter, so you get them on credit until that time.