3 cars hit & run accident overnight

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4416 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I need some advice here.

I woke up this morning and find out somebody (A) has run into my car (B) from the back and run away. Although my car was on first gear with hand brake on, it was pushed so hard that it hit another car © front to front.

There is not much damage on the back of my car what makes me think that somebody could have been parked behind and move forward instead of reversing. Or probably he tried to start the car and forgot to press clutch while being on first gear, what makes the car kind of jump forward. The bonnet of my car has the worse damage as it was pushed underneath a high 4X4 car. Damage in 4x4 (car C) is not serious but I am sure the driver is willing to have it repaired.

I called the police and now I have a CAD number and I have been advised to go to police station and fill a self certificate form or something similar

My car is an old Peugeot 406 from 1997. It has Comprehensive insurance with £500 excess. I have 2 years no claim bonus.

My question is who is liable for the accident between my car (B) which was stationary and car C which also was stationary?

Could my insurance end having to pay for damage in my car B and damage on car C?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to CAG

First you say that your car with it's hand brake on and in first gear 'was pushed so hard' it was shunted into the car in front which in turn hit the car in front of that. Then you say the rear of your car isn't badly damaged which makes you 'think that someone could of been of been parked behind it and started their engine without pressing the clutch'. Well unless you were parked on a hill (Facing down it) or something I cannot see that happening unless your hand brake was faulty. The question also begs, was the car in front of yours had it's hand brake on also?

In any event, car 'C' will claim off car 'B' who will then claim off you. So in effect, your insurer will be paying out for all the damage (including yours) unless the 'offending' vehicle can be traced. Your £500 excess is an un-insured loss which means you would have to recover this yourself. From what you are saying, that's probably what your car is worth.

As for your NCB, unless that is protected, you can probably kiss at least half of that good bye. You have to find out what the damage cost is to the other two cars and see if it is economicly better for you to pay for the repairs without going through your insurance. But you should advise them of the incident for 'information only' if that is what you decide to do.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Edited by sailor sam

I would disagree with the previous post. The hit and run driver is entirely responsible for all the damage. If the police trace him/her (unlikely unless a witness pops up) then his/her insurance will have to cover all the costs.

In practice the owners of both parked vehicles are likely to have to bear their own costs and lose their no claims.

The OP is not responsible for the damage to the other parked car.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Its unlikely the police will get him (how sexist). Your car is 12 years old and fortunately has all bolt on parts that will need fixed. So sourcing the bits from a breaker would cost less than your excess including fitting them (and saves you losing your NCB too). This will also save them being resprayed if you can match the colour.

You also need to open the back of your car and look inside - lift whatever covers the floor at the back - as its likely the bumper distorted then entirely returned to shape - however, you are likely to see folds inside the floor at the back where it joins the rear of the car. This will need to be painted and treated with underseal to prevent rusting.

With things like this telling the insurers (as you were not driving at the time, and presumably not claiming either) as to say will result in a claim/accident appearing on your record for no good reason.

However not reporting the accident could have serious repercussions, and you would certainly need to disclose it at next renewal.

It is possibly to report an incident for information only and make it clear that you are not claiming.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

But he did not have an accident - someone hit a parked car.

Would it be the owner, the insured, the keeper, the person who parked it... who had the accident? Or if the car was lent to a third party covered by the policy who had an at fault accident, then there would be a claim, but the insurer himself would not have had an accident.

While 'uberrimae fidei' applies in contracts of insurance - you are really now limited to filling only the boxes they ask online. These boxes ask if you have had convictions, pending convictions, accidents or claims. If you were not in a car when it was hitm and you parked in full compliance with the law - can this really be an accident you have had?

Edited by Bang!

I would disagree with the previous post. The hit and run driver is entirely responsible for all the damage. If the police trace him/her (unlikely unless a witness pops up) then his/her insurance will have to cover all the costs.

You answer your own argument in the above... we all know that the hit and run driver is responsible but unless he/she can be found, where do you go from there?

In practice the owners of both parked vehicles are likely to have to bear their own costs and lose their no claims.

The OP is not responsible for the damage to the other parked car.

I think you mean in theory. In practice It will probably treated like a rear end multiple shunt meaning that the last car's insurers will bear the brunt of the claim. We know the OP is not personally responsible but that dosn't necessarily mean his insures aren't obliged to pay out. It will mean the OP will pay his excess of £500 (which is an un-insured loss anyway) and will take a hit on his NCB (unless it is protected).

The OP can of course clarify his position by speaking to his insures.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I have been trying to obtain payment from an accident in October when hit by an untraced driver. I am still waiting (in fact my insurance company want to close the file as a "fault" claim) and I am hassling the solicitor's to continue their pursuit. Claiming against the MIB is easier said than done!

Edited by crem