Council Tax Bill passed to Bailiffs, arrrgh please help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey there

I am in arrears with my Council Tax for £1000,

I had a payment plan set up for £100 a month which I thought I could afford,

I missed the payment and emailed Council Tax to get the amount lowered,

they have just told me that they have passed this to Bristow and Suitor Debt Collectors.

This is the first time I have got into this situation and I want some advice on how to deal with it.

Can I refuse to pay them and just continue to pay the Council .

My friend was in a similar situation and stupidly invited them into her house,

she said they want a silly amount of money each month cause they say they only have 6 months to pay the Council Tax back?

I am a bit worried as I have 2 small children and husband is at work 80% of the time, our car is only worth £500 and he needs it to go to work, just worried that they will take it etc.

Anyone got any advice on how to deal with these people?

I won't let them in the house but shall I try and arrange a plan with them when I receive the letter,

if it's too high and they won't lower it shall I just pay the Council Directly and ignore them or will I go to prison etc.

Thanks

:)

payments direct to council do it online or automated telephone using correct reference no

do not let bailiffs in and never sign anything from them ever

there will be bailiff fees to consider £42.50 if they have no levy as eventually they will hand it back to council

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

No, you won't go to prison, prison is for those that willfully refuse to pay not those that cannot pay.

Be aware that you and your husband are jointly responsible for the council tax so they could take it directly from his pay as well as from yours.

Agree with the above, pay council direct via on line facility on council website. DO make sure you email them to let them know that you are doing this.

Just dont answer the door to them, if you do talk with them, which I advise you dont, then do it from an upstairs window or through the letter box and record it.

Hot lips.

There is a possibility that you may well go to prison....but that is assuming that there is room for you and ALL OF THE OTHER 3.3 MILLION other people who currently have a Liability Order for unpaid council tax !!!

The most IMPORTANT thing to ensure that you do is to WRITE to the council and the bailiff company to outline a payment proposal. Ensure that you do not try to make an arrangement BY MOBILE PHONE. Put everything in WRITING !!!