Carers Allowance

wavertreefox
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4430 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ,

Sorry if this thread is very simaler to one already posted or in the wrong place. Newcomer here and woul be grateful of any guidance for my issue.

Will try to keep this as short as possible and to the point. I have two grandparents who live in their own home. My granddad of 90 has severe demtia and has also been fitted with a catheter due to health problems. My Nan of 85 looks after him but is also suffering from dementia and chronic bowl problems and is having aa very difficult time coping.

I have been looking after their household duties for the last couple of months to the best of my abilty but it is now becoming a full time job to suffienctly look after them both.

I am looking at becoming a full time carer for my grandparents but was wondering if i/they would be eligible for carers allowance of some sort. I have looked on the DWp website but found it very confusing.

To summarise Grandparents own their own home and grandfather receives a privite penison from brittish gas my gran receives a basic state pension i believe. I am currently unemployed with a mortgage if that info is of use. There are no other family willing or able to help and as circumstances are without a carer its looking likely a nursing home will be required of which neither would want obviously

No real idea where to start the ball rolling on this be it Gp or council ect.

Thanks very much for reading this.

Mark,

Edited by wavertreefox

Sounds like they both should be getting attendance allowance, if they are and you care for them for at least 35 hours a week you can claim attendance allowance for them.

You wouldn't get any extra money but you would still be paid your benefits, and you would be exempt form playing their silly games (AFAIK), at least you are if you're on ESA.

Hi Mark

this is the link for claiming CA

and if this applies to you then you can claim......

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/caring-for-someone/money-matters/carersallowance/carers-allowance-how-to-claim.htm

If you can claim Carers Allowance then make the claim

you can apply the same day for IS on the back of the CA claim

also with I.S you can claim SMI, to help with your mortgage,

Unless you have a mortgage protection policy in place

Hi

Thanks so much for your reply, you have given me more info in two answers than I have got all day from DWP websites ect.

Will now look into C.A as it will be so much more useful than having to go to not be negative some frankly useless JSA meetings and look after my famaliy for a period.

Also thanks for morthage info as its not been mentioned to be by my JSA advisor I will raise this with her.

If you are going to claim Carers, claim the day after you sign on, this means then you will get your last JSA

Make the claim to CA and IS, Sign Off JSA

Your claims will link for your mortgage.

You will get paid IS untill your CA comes through then after its in payment you will be £31.00 better off its the Carers Premium

and you will be able to spend all your time looking after you grandparents..

good luck with it all

Hi Mikey Dabodee,

Any chance you translate the abbreviations for me please. Cant work out the I.S or S.M.I ones (although as a betting man i am plumping on I.S being income support ;)

CA - Carers Allowance

IS - Income Support

SMI - Support for Mortgage Interest

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.