Scottish Power Home Comfort Premium Boiler Care - or lack of !!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Called Scottish Power Home Comfort on Friday 17th and engineer was booked and attended the same day - brilliant or so I thought........

Engineer found problem and ordered parts.

He then asked to inspect the flue and then my problems began!!!

He found a small hole in the flue and advised that he was duty bound to switch off the boiler and that we couldn't use it until flue had been repaired.

To cut a very very very long story very short, we are now on day 10 and Scottish Power advise that contractors are still awaiitng the parts. These parts have been arriving every day since last Monday and I see from the forum that my case is far from out of the ordinary.

I am now speaking to the complaints department an it woul appear that their take on Customer Care is to string along all day long telling you that someone will call you back - they don't you have to keep calling them and then when it gets to a point in the day where nothing more can be done they tell you they have been unsuccessful in acheiving anything.

I have 2 young children and am using gas and electirc heaters all of which are making us all ill.

I have been told that I shall be reimbursed for the electric and calor gas currently being used to heat the property and that other compensation will be discussed and agreed once my boiler is up and working - not sure what to expect here, although I won't get that excited!!

I see my case is not isolated any help anybody is able to offer in order to conclude this a.s.a.p. would be really appreciated.

Hi Michelle

Welcome to CAG

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain whats happened, how they have let you down, the fact that you have young children and what you want them to do.

Send it to:-

Keith Anderson, Chief Corporate Officer

[email protected]

Some tips:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1242161/How--write-letter-complaint.html

There is a Scottish Power Rep on site, but from what I recall they don't deal with 'Home Care boiler Cover', although they might.

Called Scottish Power Home Comfort on Friday 17th and engineer was booked and attended the same day - brilliant or so I thought........

Engineer found problem and ordered parts.

He then asked to inspect the flue and then my problems began!!!

He found a small hole in the flue and advised that he was duty bound to switch off the boiler and that we couldn't use it until flue had been repaired.

To cut a very very very long story very short, we are now on day 10 and Scottish Power advise that contractors are still awaiitng the parts. These parts have been arriving every day since last Monday and I see from the forum that my case is far from out of the ordinary.

I am now speaking to the complaints department an it woul appear that their take on Customer Care is to string along all day long telling you that someone will call you back - they don't you have to keep calling them and then when it gets to a point in the day where nothing more can be done they tell you they have been unsuccessful in acheiving anything.

I have 2 young children and am using gas and electirc heaters all of which are making us all ill.

I have been told that I shall be reimbursed for the electric and calor gas currently being used to heat the property and that other compensation will be discussed and agreed once my boiler is up and working - not sure what to expect here, although I won't get that excited!!

I see my case is not isolated any help anybody is able to offer in order to conclude this a.s.a.p. would be really appreciated.

SP are shocking.... the call centre staff ont have a clue what the contractors are up to!! the joys of using companies

that use subbies....

btw im surprise they are fixing the flue, as strictly speaking the flue is separate to the boiler..... most other maintenance plans wouldve ran a mile by now.

That was what they blamed the delay on originally. The fact that the flue wasn't covered by the policiy. That was until I sat down and read their terms and conditions front to back and couldn't find any reference to the the fact that they DIDN'T cover it. The only mention in the contract was that they wouldn't cover a flue that WASN'T connected to the central heating system - which this one clearly is!! The Operator had to go away and check and when she came back informed me that I had taught her something new!! To say they didn't like it is probably an understatement which is no doubt why I'm having so many problems.

I've also found out that all my radiators ARE covered for anything as well as all the thermostatic valves on them - I have one slightly leaky radiator and several broken valve - think I'll save that call out or another day though!!

My advice to anyone, read terms and conditions, you be surprised what you learn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Michelle

If you have young children or need to take time off work to be available for Scottish Power engineers my advice is cancel your Home Comfort contract right now, change supplier and go with a company which does not sub contract out its service engineers. We have had a nightmare journey with Scottish Power. Our boiler worked until their annual 'service', after that no hot water from 9th December 2011 to 1st Feb 2012, all the frustrations of dealing with their so called customer service, which other bloggers have described. Finally another engineer visit on 1st February 2012, saying we needed washers and a repair kit. After he left we had no heating or hot water for 10 days as he left the boiler leaking. Finally quit in sheer frustration and got Scottish Hydro to look at the boiler. What a contrast!! Helpful, joined up, quick and actually caring about the customer.

We were offered £200 compensation from the sub contractor Carilion, but we refused at first thinking this did not adequately cover the stress and discomfort . Scottish Power customer services said they would tell Carillion that their offer was not acceptable. Heard nothing and called Customer Service today, have been told Carillion have withdrawn the offer without notifying me, and was told today by Scottish Power that they no longer use this sub contractor and that I should call Carillion myself. Somehow I don't think a call to them will be worth the stress of listening to their completely useless company.

I mistakenly thought the Ombudsman would assist but no, they do not cover this type of complaint. So all be aware, the Ombudsman has limited authority over utterly hopeless customer service.

• 4 weeks later...

The combi boiler was installed about 10 years ago. It was covered with British Gas HomeCare policy for about four years during which it had broken down once and fixed promptly diligently and professionally by British Gas. Towards the fifth year of the Homecare cover with British Gas, the monthly payment was increased few ponds so I decided to switch to a cheaper option and I took up ScottishPower Homeconfort policy about three years ago. The boiler was working as usual without any problems until the 25th March2012 when it broke down. The boiler seemed to be working as I can hear the usual noise when it is operating. but without ignition so there is no heating or hot water. No ignition and no flame.

According to the terms of the policy, the boiler was inspected and tested as part of the annual service check which was arranged by British Gas and later by Scottish Power. The annual boiler service check is arranged after receiving a letter from British Gas or Scottish power every year. Last routine annual inspection of the boiler was arranged by Scottish Power last autumn. The inspection was carried out by an engineer from Carillion. On each annual check the boiler passed the test. No issues of safety or concerns were raised by the inspectors on each occasion.

On the 25th March the boiler broke down as I described above. I called Scottish Power and an engineer from a subcontracted company was dispatched to examine the boiler.

and identified a fault with the pump or the fan of the boiler as the cause of the breakdown, nothing else was mentioned about the state of the boiler. He identified a fault with the pump or the fan of the boiler as the cause of the breakdown, nothing else was mentioned about the state of the boiler. The technician told me that he will send his report to SP for further the action. Fortunately the winter cold weather is behind and heating isn’t very fatally needed, however without hot water it is a bit below the advocated standard homecomfort of SP. I was expecting that the boiler would be fixed within a week. I called Scottish Power today 2/4/2012 ,after confirming my personal details, I was asked by the operator `how can I help you?`, it sounds as if SP do not keep a record of the calls. I was very astonished during this call to be informed for the first time that my boiler is classified as `dangerous`, and that I should not turn it on. I replied that if the boiler is faulty so certainly there is no point of turning it on. If it is classified as dangerous, then surly there must be some urgent action by SP to fix it and element the danger. I am wondering how long I have to wait for fixing the boiler or whether there is any other way legally to complain about it.

11/4/2012

Ten days passed since my last call. I did not any call from SP regarding the boiler as I was advised last time.

Today I called SP and the same operator `Rebecca` answered, again after confirming my details, she asked me the same ignorant and painful question How can I help you?`. After a short holding pried, she told me again that the boiler is classed as dangerous because the flue of the boiler is not in the right place, therefore it is not covered by SP. I should call an engineer at my expenses to change the position of the flue. It is seems that I get new piece information about the state of the boiler after each call. I signed up for this boiler cover with SP about three years ago. The boiler was inspected by SP assigned a technician at the start of the cover and further during the annual service check, the boiler passed the test on each occasion. Nobody mentioned any problem with the flue. I presume that if the there was an issue with the position of the flue , then it should have been identified during on of the pervious inspection. It is outrageous that on after this break down of the boiler that SP is trying not to honour it is obligation towards this cover in this manner. I am still paying for the cover by direct debit. It seems that I am paying money to SP for nothing. I would be very grateful for any helpful advice on any further action.

The combi boiler was installed about 10 years ago. It was covered with British Gas HomeCare policy for about four years during which it had broken down once and fixed promptly diligently and professionally by British Gas. Towards the fifth year of the Homecare cover with British Gas, the monthly payment was increased few ponds so I decided to switch to a cheaper option and I took up ScottishPower Homeconfort policy about three years ago. The boiler was working as usual without any problems until the 25th March2012 when it broke down. The boiler seemed to be working as I can hear the usual noise when it is operating. but without ignition so there is no heating or hot water. No ignition and no flame.

According to the terms of the policy, the boiler was inspected and tested as part of the annual service check which was arranged by British Gas and later by Scottish Power. The annual boiler service check is arranged after receiving a letter from British Gas or Scottish power every year. Last routine annual inspection of the boiler was arranged by Scottish Power last autumn. The inspection was carried out by an engineer from Carillion. On each annual check the boiler passed the test. No issues of safety or concerns were raised by the inspectors on each occasion.

On the 25th March the boiler broke down as I described above. I called Scottish Power and an engineer from a subcontracted company was dispatched to examine the boiler.

and identified a fault with the pump or the fan of the boiler as the cause of the breakdown, nothing else was mentioned about the state of the boiler. He identified a fault with the pump or the fan of the boiler as the cause of the breakdown, nothing else was mentioned about the state of the boiler. The technician told me that he will send his report to SP for further the action. Fortunately the winter cold weather is behind and heating isn’t very fatally needed, however without hot water it is a bit below the advocated standard homecomfort of SP. I was expecting that the boiler would be fixed within a week. I called Scottish Power today 2/4/2012 ,after confirming my personal details, I was asked by the operator `how can I help you?`, it sounds as if SP do not keep a record of the calls. I was very astonished during this call to be informed for the first time that my boiler is classified as `dangerous`, and that I should not turn it on. I replied that if the boiler is faulty so certainly there is no point of turning it on. If it is classified as dangerous, then surly there must be some urgent action by SP to fix it and element the danger. I am wondering how long I have to wait for fixing the boiler or whether there is any other way legally to complain about it.

11/4/2012

Ten days passed since my last call. I did not any call from SP regarding the boiler as I was advised last time.

Today I called SP and the same operator `Rebecca` answered, again after confirming my details, she asked me the same ignorant and painful question How can I help you?`. After a short holding pried, she told me again that the boiler is classed as dangerous because the flue of the boiler is not in the right place, therefore it is not covered by SP. I should call an engineer at my expenses to change the position of the flue. It is seems that I get new piece information about the state of the boiler after each call. I signed up for this boiler cover with SP about three years ago. The boiler was inspected by SP assigned a technician at the start of the cover and further during the annual service check, the boiler passed the test on each occasion. Nobody mentioned any problem with the flue. I presume that if the there was an issue with the position of the flue , then it should have been identified during on of the pervious inspection. It is outrageous that on after this break down of the boiler that SP is trying not to honour it is obligation towards this cover in this manner. I am still paying for the cover by direct debit. It seems that I am paying money to SP for nothing. I would be very grateful for any helpful advice on any further action.

i would call a local engineer and get him to have a look an see if he agrees or points out the fault that SP are claiming?

Did the engineer cap your boiler or leave an Immediately dangerous label.... if not why??

i would sue the thrrough a small claims for a cpl hundred quid.

they will settle before. especially if it shouldve been capped and it wasnt.

if thats the case id report the sub contractor to Gas Safe

Many thanks for the kind and supportive reply. During all previous annual boiler checks which were carried in the past when the boiler was under British Gas HomeCare and later with Scottish Power Homecomfort (or Discomfort) none of the engineers who carried out the checking did mention any problem with the boiler or the flue position

After the boiler breakdown on the 26th March , Scottish Power sent an engineer(subcontracted) who examined the boiler . He just told me that the boiler fan was faulty. He did not mention anything about the boiler being dangerous. He then went outside the kitchen and looked at the flue which is positioned 20 cm from the edge of kitchen window(30 cm from the window glass) and he said that the flue should have been at least 30 cm away from the window. I was surprised to hear that as non of the engineers in the previous annual checks had ever mentioned this to me. If the position of the flue was incorrect in a way that might affect the terms of the cover then at least one of the SP engineers should had raised the issue with SP and its implications on the policy. It is obviously very odd that only after the boiler breakdown I was told of the flue problem by the last engineer. After a week when I didn’t hear anything from SP I decided to call SP to get an update of their action to fix the boiler, during that call I was informed for the first time by the SP operator that the boiler was classed as `Dangerous` and that I should switch it off. I was truly shocked to hear that. I asked SP operator, if the boiler was classed as dangerous then why the engineer did not warn me or at least leave a note or a label of warning on the boiler. Certainly it is unreasonable to switch on the boiler if it is faulty and especially if there was a warning note about it. If that is case then I believe that it is an utter a recklessness of SP or their subcontractor in failing to notify me of any danger. If I had not called SP on that occasion, then I would not have been aware of any danger until now.

Although SP classed the boiler as dangerous, they failed to take any action until now to remedy the problem. So one wonder whether it is truly dangerous or simply SP does not honour its commitment toward the policy. I noticed that I am not the first or only SP customer with a newly discovered flue issue that SP is using to avoid its obligation.

To All Those having Problems with Scottish Power Boiler 'Care'

As result of bitter experience my advice would be to contact the maker of the boiler e.g. Vokera, Worcester Bosch etc, ask for the name of a local company they can recommend to service this type of boiler - and call them out. They will have experience in looking at that type of boiler. With Scottish Power it is a complete lottery whether you get someone who has even seen your type of boiler before! Let alone have the skills to solve the problem. This will save you having the stress of not trusting the random diagnosis of SP engineer, and you don't have to manage the huge communication problems within Scottish Power; no-one seems to have a log of the issues from each customer.

After you have taken the hit of paying extra for competent advice, cancel your boiler cover with Scottish Power. It really is not worth the stress. You can still use them as supplier for your gas and electricity. But NOT servicing - they are hopeless at that.

watchdog tommorow has a bit on a "major energy supplier condeming working boilers" would be intrested to find out which one

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: