Petrol / mantainance for car.

Life-Goes-On
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4459 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Advice please.

My GF drives me everywhere I need to go (I'm not allowed to drive), we live apart and have no plans to change this.

I want to pay my share towards the cost of car (about 1/4 share)

What is the best way to go about this?

Give her the money? Could be either cash or bank transfer

Take a turn putting petrol in, so paying for the petrol.

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

If you are both living in separate properties, then I don't see that LTAHAW should be a major problem, unless of course you and/or her are spending significant amounts of time at each other's properties.

Though back to the question, I would probably suggest keeping it on a casual cash basis.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

A thread about travelling costs went on it's own return journey. :)

Hee!

Right, so as I understand it, you want to help your GF out with some petrol money but want to avoid being seen as LTAHAW since you're not actually living together. That correct?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

We see each other most nights, (think she wants to check I'm ok) and spend the odd night together (about 5 in the last 6 months)

I have read the rules and know currently we shouldn't be classed as LTAHAW, but we know we do have to be careful. so wanted advise on what to do, in case I am ever asked about it.

BTW Even if my benefits wasn't affected we wouldn't live together, I have always liked my own space to much to give it up.

Antone: In a nutshell yes, what to cover all bases.

A thread about travelling costs went on it's own return journey. :)

:lol:

I can give you my opinion but it is only an opinion...

Giving her petrol costs for the fuel consumption as a result of assisting you, is not really any different to your paying for a taxi to do the same. Why would you pay stupid costs of taxi fares if she is able and willing to take you at a significantly lower cost? I also see it as no different from paying a friend's petrol costs, I see nothing wrong in it. You are not contributing toward her costs, you are contributing toward the cost of the fuel which is used for your benefit.

I don't recall (in fact not sure I even know) why you are on ESA but I would suggest to you that if there is a possibility that if you are eligible for DLA that you apply. If you qualify for the higher mobility rate and choose to go for the mobility car, she can be your named driver - you don't have to be able to drive yourself to go on motobility. If you qualify for mid or high rate care, she could also claim carers allowance for you.

• Confused 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Been claiming since June 2008.

Had medical and "passed" got 16 points (should have had over 50)

At the end of 08 claimed DLA was rejected (the ATOS "medical" as many have found was a complete joke), so appealed

Took over a year (Jan 10) as got awarded LRC & LRM but only for a year.

Reapplied Dec 10, filled out the forms very much the same as I did first time, was expecting to get rejected and have to appeal.

Much to my surprised got awarded it without a medical, and also now got MRC & LRM

I didn't realize how much difference getting MRC made.

I live alone so get extra due to add ons with the other benefit.

I don't think GF could get CA for me as she works full time.

I do have a Blue Badge, as I applied thought my LA, and have for 3 years (is the the max?)

Never really looked at the letter till just now,

They have ticked "That is badge is to be issued without a further assessment"

Does that mean I might not have to be reassessed in Jan 2014 when it runs out?

You would not want your GF to claim carers allowance anyway, as it would result in you losing the extra you get in other benerfits through the severe disability premium

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Life you have been awarded DLA Mobilty low rate, this money is awarded to you because you have mobility needs and need extra help you to get out and about, its paid to you so you can get help to get around making life a bit easier for you....

its up to you how you spend it as long as it helps you,

so dont worry :)

you are spending it on what the goverment intended it to be spent on

getting around

simples