HMRC regarding my tax credits claim, please help..

Kidston12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all

I came across this site after receiving a letter from HMRC regarding my tax credits claim.

Basically I've been a complete idiot and have continued my single claim even though I moved in with my partner. At the time I was on maternity leave and money was tight, I know it's no excuse and completely unacceptable but I am now a complete wreck because of it.

I am calling them first thing Monday to admit that I falsified my claim, that I've been living as a couple for a year and that I'll pay back what I owe.

Basically I'd like to know if any one has been in the same situation and if so what was the outcome? I'm absolutely terrified I'll go to prison, I can't eat, can't sleep and have told no one of my deceit. I feel like a complete criminal and am scared. Please help.

What exactly does the letter say, Kidston?

I think it's very likely that they'll just ask you to repay the over-payment, though.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

What exactly does the letter say, Kidston?

I think it's very likely that they'll just ask you to repay the over-payment, though.

Thanks for your reply.

It says they do checks on claims, that they are working closely with a credit reference agency and they've selected my award as I have claimed as a single person and that is not the same as the information they hold about me. They've asked me to phone a number before 24th of feb or my payments will stop and they may change any previous award I've had.

It goes onto say I may want to obtain advise before contacting them.

It's been a year since my partner and I moved in together..I think I've probably been overpaid in the region of £6000. Every day I thought about calling but was relying on the money each week to pay for school trips, days out with the kids etc. I can't believe I didn't address the issue sooner.

Thanks rebel. I need to pull myself together really. Am thinking worst case scenario will be me in prison and my children motherless :(

It's interesting about the notional offsetting. That sounds like it would apply to my case. Am happy to never receive another tc payment so long as I don't get a criminal record!

There are a lot of us on here going through the same sort of thing.

I got my letter last Saturday it was dated the 3rd though so took some time getting to me.

I called them on Mon and Tues and was told both times they are so busy and that they will call back.

Its an awful worry but I am glad people on here know what I am going through and have been supportive.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks emdj, think I read your posts in a different section. I thought how long the letter took to arrive, I got it yesterday yet it's dated the 10th! I will call tomorrow and update. (Hopefully not from a cell!)

Thanks rebel. I need to pull myself together really. Am thinking worst case scenario will be me in prison and my children motherless :(

It's interesting about the notional offsetting. That sounds like it would apply to my case. Am happy to never receive another tc payment so long as I don't get a criminal record!

Hmmm a few of us end up not claiming what we should because of fear after things like this, I think they would quite like people to do that! Although mine is housing benefit. I have to claim tax credits, it's more than my employed wages! Hope it all works out, should do, not known of anyone doing time for it yet! Apart from one or 2 in the paper that invented children etc! So don't worry about that hun.

Living together as husband and wife (LTAHAW) has its normal meaning in every day language, but the Courts and administrative practice have developed a number of criteria to help apply that meaning to every day situations. They are:-

These links might be useful to those of you who have concerns. I am going through the same thing. The above is from the HMRC guidence on how to make a decision.