• Tweets

• The case against the US-based ride-hailing giant is being brought on behalf of over 10,800 drivers.View the full article
    • I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Announcement: ESA claimants now have the option of having their WCA recorded

ErikaPNP
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NO, we can't. Because the reality is that, regardless of what Grayling says, ATOS are NOT going to provide the recording any more, and if people refuse to have their WCA unrecorded, they will then get sanctioned and even if/when they win at appeal, they're the ones who will have been left with no money for weeks or months. Meanwhile, ATOS won't meet their target, oh no the horror... oh hang on they don't give a flying fig about that, they are gettign away with whatever they want.

So on one hand we have a company that won't get penalised for beign delayed or inconvenienced on the other hand we have vulnerable people who may lose any income for long periods of time. Sorry but whilst it's all very well takign a stand for those who have the luxury to do so, for the majority of people, it is simpler, less risky and more likely to get results if they take the simple route. Furthermore, as I said earlier, it will inconvenience the DWP/ATOS a lot more if they're caught red-handed fibbing so I see no downside in covert recording, whereas I see a lot in demanding an official recording that they do not have to comply with.

Fact is, in law, there is nothing to say that we ARE entitled to this official recording, it's down to good will, good practice call it what you will.

In law, however, we are entitled to covert record.

AFAIC it's a slam-dunk.

Crazy Diamond I do not see where your problem is? We have differing views on whether a covert recording is acceptable either legally or morally. Why can you just not accept that it is up to each individual to make their own decision??? It is not down to me, you or anyone else to make other peoples decisions.

AFAIC it's a slam dunk!

Also actually it does matter if ATOS are inconvenienced and miss their targets. They are contracted to do 11000 WCA's every week. If they fail to do this, they do not fulfill their contractual obligations and there will be consequences.

Also it does matter what Chris Grayling and the Government say. If they decide that people are entitled to a recorded WCA, ATOS cannot just go ahead and refuse everybody their rights. It might take some getting through and some action being taken but their will be consequences for ATOS eventually if they do this. I am fully aware that people could well be sanctioned for not going for their WCA and as a result their benefit may be affected, I have never said otherwise. It is a very difficult decision for someone to make, I could very well find myself in this position, I don't know, if I do then I will have to make the decision. what I do know is there comes a time when people have had enough being trampled on and make a stand. History tells us that a lot of the time this brings about change. If people do nothing, nothing gets changed but the decision on whether to do anything is down to the individual and no one else.

AFAIAC thats another slam dunk!

Oh and while were at it. Would you like to explain to everyone, how you are "in the know" regarding people getting sanctioned for not attending a WCA when they have requested a recording? The DWP have not released a decision as to whether people will have a sanction imposed against them in these circumstances as yet. Perhaps you might like to wait for that decision to be made public before scaremongering people into thinking they will definately be sanctioned.

AFAIAC thats a slam dunk!

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and to make their own decision. Everybody is entitled to support their own views but that does not mean deciding that your viewpoint is the correct one and everybody else is wrong! You make a lot of definative suggestions in your posts and suggestions that you are correct, which to be fair is not entirely correct.

Again I will say that we obviously are not going to agree, we have differing views. I provide mine based on the information I know, my personal opinion and interpretation of where things stand. I do not profess to ram it down peoples throats and state I am 100% right so why do you?

:)IF YOU ARE BORED WITH LITTLE TO DO:)

My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey - :!:WON / 19 November 2007:!:

SKY TV and the penalty charge - how far will it go?

Me V Its4me and Close Premium Finance:!:WON / 28 November 2007:!:

IF I CAN HELP, I WILL, IF I DO, THEN PLEASE CLICK ON THE SCALES ON THE LEFT

Why are ATOS still approving recordings then and why is the secretary of state saying so?

Also where is this information that ATOS are not doing any more recordings?

Well said!!!

and AFAIC that's a slam dunk!

Parliamentary Q & A, yesterday;-

Timms (EastHam, Labour)

To ask the Secretaryof State for Work and Pensions if he will ensure that employment and support allowance claim forms make clear to claimants that they are able to request a recording of their work capability assessment.

Grayling (Minister of State (Employment), Work and Pensions; Epsom and Ewell, Conservative)

We currently have no plans to include this information in the ESA50 form.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2012-07-16a.117419.h&s=%22recording%22+section%3Awrans+section%3Awms#g117419.q0

This is really shocking, they are still not going to tell people that they can ask for their WCA to be recorded. I think it is shamefull and I hope someone at Westminster picks up this and asks the question WHY?

Crazy Diamond I do not see where your problem is? We have differing views on whether a covert recording is acceptable either legally or morally. Why can you just not accept that it is up to each individual to make their own decision??? It is not down to me, you or anyone else to make other peoples decisions.
I don't believe I have said otherwise? Indeed, I believe that it's me who first said that people should believe who they want, as opposed to you who persisted in telling people that a covert recording was not admissible in court until you got proved wrong on this.

Also actually it does matter if ATOS are inconvenienced and miss their targets. They are contracted to do 11000 WCA's every week. If they fail to do this, they do not fulfill their contractual obligations and there will be consequences.
There should be, yes. In fact, there should have been already, but it's not happening. If by now you haven't realised that ATOS and this government have vested interests in one another (as well as others, SERCO, G4S etc... the pigs with their nose in the trough are plentiful!) you need to follow things around a bit more.

Also it does matter what Chris Grayling and the Government say. If they decide that people are entitled to a recorded WCA, ATOS cannot just go ahead and refuse everybody their rights.
It's NOT a right. Unlike a police interview where it IS a right to have a dual recording, there is NOTHING in law that enshrines such. Until it is written in an Act of Parliament, what they say is as much wind, and has as much legal value as the Tory manifesto.

It might take some getting through and some action being taken but their will be consequences for ATOS eventually if they do this.
Yes you've said. Saying ot again doesn't make it any more likely to happen.

I am fully aware that people could well be sanctioned for not going for their WCA and as a result their benefit may be affected, I have never said otherwise.
Yet you argue that people should insist on their 'right' (which isn't one) at the risk of this precisely happening.

what I do know is there comes a time when people have had enough being trampled on and make a stand. History tells us that a lot of the time this brings about change. If people do nothing, nothing gets changed but the decision on whether to do anything is down to the individual and no one else.
I don't believe I said otherwise, in fact, I have been encouraging people to do something, unlike you who seem to be bent on discouraging anyone from deviating from the ATOS 'authorised' path.

Oh and while were at it. Would you like to explain to everyone, how you are "in the know" regarding people getting sanctioned for not attending a WCA when they have requested a recording?
I'm a member of Spartacus, Social Welfare Union and a few other more private forums I will therefore not name where ESA/DLA/WCA and others are being discussed, information compiled and so on. I spend a large part of my days monitoring what is happening to disabled people up and down the country through what THEY report, in their own words, not through what Grayling and his puppets decide to feed to the Daily Mail for general consumption.

The DWP have not released a decision as to whether people will have a sanction imposed against them in these circumstances as yet.
See above. Because they haven't officially released it (which I doubt they will, why should they when they can bullsh*t people in towing the party line?)

Perhaps you might like to wait for that decision to be made public before scaremongering people into thinking they will definately be sanctioned.
As above. You can sit there and wait for a non-official decision what is unlikely to happen, that's completely up to you, me I prefer active to passive.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and to make their own decision. Everybody is entitled to support their own views but that does not mean deciding that your viewpoint is the correct one and everybody else is wrong! You make a lot of definative suggestions in your posts and suggestions that you are correct, which to be fair is not entirely correct.
Ok, so prove me incorrect? Unlike you, I WILL say so and apologise if you can.

Again I will say that we obviously are not going to agree, we have differing views. I provide mine based on the information I know, my personal opinion and interpretation of where things stand. I do not profess to ram it down peoples throats and state I am 100% right so why do you?
More to the point, why are you being so passive-aggressive when someone comes up with facts you do not approve of? I haven't said anywhere that what I advocate is the only way to go, but I WILL correct false assertions and guesswork unsupported by a legal frame. So far, you have failed to come up with a single *legal* case that supports your opinion.

CAG has always been at the forefront of challenging the 'accepted' policies, from bank charges to parking tickets and more and this is just another example of it.

Oh and there is no need to get petulant, I thought we were all adults here.

Why are ATOS still approving recordings then and why is the secretary of state saying so?

Also where is this information that ATOS are not doing any more recordings?

Are they still approving recordings? Evidence, please?

Why is the Secretary of State saying so? What, apart from the fact he doesn't know his arse from his elbow you mean? Or apart from the fact that he will lie quite openly about just about anything from workfare to welfare without flinching? Apart from the fact that as long as he can keep the issues muddled up (and what a grand job he is doing of THAT so far!) people keep on arguing over it and holding on to the hope that the other side will be reasonable all of a sudden?

Information (I'm only going to give you 2 links, they are plenty more if you start looking): http://www.dpac.uk.net/2012/07/having-your-wca-recorded/ and http://jaynelinney.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/atos-response-to-my-complaint-about-recordings/

'The DWP have therefore requested that we inform customers when a recording cannot be made, and in these circumstances, that the WCA process should continue.'

For the life of me, I can not understand why some of you people are so intent in shooting me down in flames when I bring a simple and legal solution that most people can easily use. Wouldn't you be better off checking it out instead of wasting your energy trying to discredit my information?

I am not the enemy here, ATOS is, and it does lead me to wonder why people like you and Simon are so intent on stopping people from deviating from the ATOS-authorised path. :(

Be that as it may, I hope that a few people will realise that there is a different solution than just sitting on your backside waiting for ATOS to tell you what they want you to do or not do and that it is perfectly legal to go down that route. ;)

Edited by Crazy Diamond

Margaret - I'm really pleased that you had a good result. It gives me hope to know that it is possible, so thank you for your post.

I've found out today that my assessment IS going to go ahead on Thursday, despite my request for a recording. There are a couple of last ditch attempts to change this but it's looking unlikely.

I'm sorry that I don't have better news to share. I'm doing quite well in terms of getting the word out about how I am being treated and the reality of the situation re: recording but it will be too late in my case.

Best of luck to anyone dealing with this. (I don't want to stir up the covert recording debate but I would just like to say that it's too late for me to buy anything to record with and I wouldn't be up to the risk of being discovered and having my assessment stopped. I could not cope with that. I am fighting this through every official channel that I can and I am getting responses. That does not mean that I don't understand the legality of a covert recording or think that others shouldn't do it. It's just not right for me.)

Everyone needs to keep sharing information - it all helps.

N

This has been submitted for a written answer today 17/7/2012.It will be interesting to see the response

Mr Frank Field (Birkenhead): To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if he will ensure that each Atos assessment centre has a recording device available so that medical assessments can be recorded at the request of a claimant or their representative.

[R] (117849)

Living in the wild windy west of Ireland

Letter from Work and Pensions, dated 13 July 12:

The Department's line is and, so far as I know, remains unchanged since the end of last year despite some vague parliamentary written non-answers;

'.......... whilst Atos will do all that they can to accommodate requests for audio recording there may be times when the service cannot be offered ..........'

A part of the letter I didn't copy in #423;

'The dual CD machines required for audio recording are a specialist item - there is only one manufacturer and machines are built on demand. As a consequence there is a lead in time of four to 10 weeks. Additional machines have been ordered.'

(Didn't say how many, but 'machines' is plural. Maybe two?)

Suppose yesterday's written answer, 16 July 12, was clear. No plans to mention the option of a recorded interrogation on the unfit for purpose form, otherwise known as an ESA50. Probably no plans to mention the option of a recorded interrogation in the pretty pink booklet that comes with Atos appointments, even though they've had over a year to include it.

DWATO are less than serious about audio recording work capability interrogations?

Can't think where I got that idea from? :roll:

Best wishes, Margaret.

Crazy Diamond.........

As I have said we are not going to agree, I am not going to spend my time trying to score points in a game of "oneupmanship". It does not solve anything or get the system changed. As for being petulant and all adults here, I think there are things we could probably both point out that have been posted on here but to be entirely honest, all this is just pulling the thread further off track and I fail to see the benefit of that to anyone.

I suggest we agree to disagree and move on............

Willowone:

:sorry:

Have you got anyone who can go with you to take notes? 'Tis better than nothing for those of us who don't feel confident about covert recording. Pages 136-137 of the latest work capability assessment handbook - on the Work n Pensions website. You'll probably have to wave a copy at the 'professional', we did at the last interrogation I chaperoned, but even Atos admit 'tis legal.

Very conscious that so far I've only won a battle, not the war.

Very best wishes, Margaret.

Carazy diamond why are those forums keeping things private, it doesnt really help many people doing that. How does one gain membership?

IF you have proof that the DWP are deliberatly keeping policies internal only and then basically lieing on public statements on things like FOI requests and secretary fo state statments as well as in the houses of parliament then I think you should do something about it because that means many laws are been broken.

Carazy diamond why are those forums keeping things private, it doesnt really help many people doing that. How does one gain membership?
By invitation only and only of trusted people. It does help people as the information eventually gets filtered out. After that it's up to people what they do with the information and look how welcome that has been on here! So much energy and time wasted shooting the messenger instead of using it to fight the common enemy! Sorry, but a few of the people on those sites are extremely sick and vulnerable and they don't want to have to deal with the same kind of crap on their site, that's their choice and their right.

IF you have proof that the DWP are deliberatly keeping policies internal only and then basically lieing on public statements on things like FOI requests and secretary fo state statments as well as in the houses of parliament then I think you should do something about it because that means many laws are been broken.
Where did I say that? Please don't put libellous comments in my mouth.

Anyway, as far as 'doing something about it', I'm sorry to say we have reached a stage with this government where people are acting dishonestly and bare face lying and cheating and what not and absolutely NOTHING is being done to punish or even stop them: Leveson enquiry, expenses scandal, bankers' cosy relationships, NHS sell-outs, G4S fraud etc... The rot is too far set for anything to change at higher levels, which is why it is up to us to fight any which way we can.

Look, I'll give you a few facts, you draw your own conclusions:

- There are only 11 machines in the whole country (not all of them working) to deal with all the requests for recorded assessments.

- As Margaret correctly points out, they are still not letting people know about the possibility of getting the assessment recorded, even though they have had plenty of time to do so.

- People are now getting letters stating that even if they have requested a recording and the equipment is not available for any reason, the assessment must still proceed, and that if the claimant refuses to do so it will be treated as a refusal, and we all know what the outcomes will be then, yes?

It should be perfectly clear to all what they're up to, and that following their official channels will get us strictly nowhere except on a not-so-merry go round.

- People are now getting letters stating that even if they have requested a recording and the equipment is not available for any reason, the assessment must still proceed, and that if the claimant refuses to do so it will be treated as a refusal, and we all know what the outcomes will be then, yes?

not seen any letters saying it will be treated as refusal.

not seen any letters saying it will be treated as refusal.

http://www.dpac.uk.net/2012/07/having-your-wca-recorded/#comments

If you request your assessment to be recorded, you will be refused. You will be told “don’t attend and ESA will stop”.

She then agreed to reschedule my WCA for a later time of day – now 1pm on July 12th. However, following the new instruction from DWP, it will not be recorded.

When I stated that that was NOT acceptable and insisted on a recorded assessment, Marie told me that I have no choice because the DWP have said so.

They can book me a non-recorded WCA, but if I refuse to attend they will simply return my file to the Job Centre Plus offices marked as “did not attend”. This is the instruction from DWP.

The alternative is to cancel my claim for ESA immediately.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=356839337717763&set=o.147788151918540&type=3&theater

(same chap, see how what he's told over the phone is not repeated in quite the same terms in writing? All implied, whereas very much told so over the phone)

PS: For whoever was questioning my assertions that they weren't going to do recordings anymore, same link above (DPAC), see comments and the number of people who have been told precisely that. Hope thios clarifies that.

Edited by Crazy Diamond

Since it seems to be only nottingham (and norwich according to b&w) and apparently all 11 are broken, whats ATOS's excuse for allowing requests in the rest of the country?

Looks like discrimination to me.

I dont see a letter their stating the DWP said it isnt good cause.

Good cause for failure to attend an unrecorded interrogation:

May eventually, after the obligatory three to thirteen months wait, be decided by;

CIB/3117/08

Linked earlier in this thread by: nolegion.

'Tis also on the Tribunals Service decisions database.

Or, far simpler, can be Googled.

Margaret.