housing benefit fraud conviction

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I am new to the site and not sure if this is the correct place for me to post but it seems the most relevant section.

Basically I have been convicted of 'failure to declare change of circumstances' in regards to housing benefit and council tax, and due to the amount (which was £4170) I have been given 80 hours of unpaid work. The problem I have is that I am currently taking a year out of my primary teaching studies with the view to return in september of this year to complete my final year. The worry I have is whether a) I will be allowed to return to the course due to me having to have an enhanced crb check and b) If i am able to return to the course will it affect me gaining employment?

I'm hoping there are others on here in similar circumstances or who may have been through this and gained employment (or not) that could offer advice.

I'm in two minds at the minute as to whether its worth me returning to my studies but would appreciate any advice if possible.

Thanks in advance

Hi Lucy.

I've moved your post to our employment forums as the question is related to employability rather than eligibility for benefit.

Having a conviction on record does not necessarily mean that you would not be considered, unless that conviction suggested that you would be inappropriate for the role. It may prevent you from working in finance but not necesserily from teaching.

In regard to the course, you will need to check with the establishment which provides the course whether having a conviction for benefit fraud would preclude you from the course.

• Confused 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

What is the coviction down as. The wording of a conviction has a lot to do with what happens.

Bit like Fraud - bad but not to bad, Conspiracy to defraud - by by any chance of working for the next 10 to 15 years..

Just an example of what i mean by the wording and how it changes things.

Edited by nohope

Hi Erika,

Thanks for the reply and for moving it to the appropriate forum.

Nohope, thanks for the reply...my solicitor has assured me that it will not go on my crb as fraud it will be what the conviction was which is 'failure to declare a change of circumstances' which i believe is under section 112a of the social security administration act. This means it was without intent from what i can gather.

Thanks again,

Lucy

Queensclose, as far as i am aware it will be failure to declare a change of circumstances...at least this is what my solicitor has informed me. My original claim for HB and CTB was fine but i failed to let them know i had become a full time student.

Thanks

well i'm keeping my fingers crossed and contacting the governing body for teachers as there's a code of conduct that you have to follow as a teacher so hopefully they will feel that it won't affect me practicing as a teacher.

thanks again for reply