Tax credits investigating living together - please help

folle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3728 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

There is a leaflet on the CAB web which states that in Jan 10 they changed their rules and if you claimed as a single person but really should have claimed as a joint then you can ask for your claim to be reviewed by the notional offset team. This is fact. Yes they do say that any overpayment on a single claim cant be taken for joint but, this is not the case and all that have overpayments to repay should ask for the case to be looked at by this team if joint claim now in place. I know I will be even though I have now arranged to pay my 15k back over more than ten years I dont want this debt hanging over me if it can be avoided.

I have sent my stuff in ! But have received no letter saying what they are going to do ! Shall I keep phoning them ! They said she would phone back at some point but did not know when but my nerves won't take it ! Shall I just keep phoning them to get an ansa ! Or is that the wrong thing to do !

hi

There is a leaflet on the CAB web which states that in Jan 10 they changed their rules and if you claimed as a single person but really should have claimed as a joint then you can ask for your claim to be reviewed by the notional offset team. This is fact. Yes they do say that any overpayment on a single claim cant be taken for joint but, this is not the case and all that have overpayments to repay should ask for the case to be looked at by this team if joint claim now in place. I know I will be even though I have now arranged to pay my 15k back over more than ten years I dont want this debt hanging over me if it can be avoided.

will defo look into this ty hales.so does a joint claim have to be in place first?

You will not end up in prison. Please put that out of your mind. Worst case scenario you will get a slapped wrist and have to pay back the full amount. They will agree a payment pan with you that you can adhere to.

At least with this you can put it behind you and move on x

folle

I have read all through this thread and I would advise that you say that you now understand that allowing you partner to stay weekends and by allowing him to continue to use your address that you should have made a joint claim in there view. This way you have not deliberately mislead them and I doubt you they will take this any further. Its a relief when all said and done that they stop any investigation as this cost them alot of time and money. State you are will to pay back all owed and if your partner is not working or earning very little you can then try to go down the route as we all are of try to sort out the mess. I would then send back any correspondence for your husband clearly stating not at this address. And re start your single claim for this year.

This thread has had to be heavily edited. Most posts relating to other members situations have been moved into their own threads where it has been possible to do so. It has also been necessary to remove some posts entirely; posts which refer to removed posts have been removed also because the thread no longer makes sense otherwise.

It is established that all the advice that can be given to Folle (the original poster) has been given up to the point that she is presently at. In view of this, and to prevent further instances of hijacking, this thread will remain closed for the time being.

Folle, if at a later date, you get an update from tax credit and would like the thread re-opened, please click on the little triangle at the bottom of my post and leave a message for us.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 3 months later...

Thread re-opened.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I've seen on another thread she has posted on that she had to pay £12k back.

I have also seen this post, have pm'd Folle to get an update.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I spend ages reading this as it relates very much to a situation i am in.

I found out from further searching for Folle (i wanted to know she was ok and what the out come was) that she didn't go to prision (phew) and ended up owing 12k, she is feeling better now and intends to dispute this - as it says in a reply she posted on another thread.

Storm02

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there guys.

i have been off the site for a long time, i am so sorry i left my thread hanging.

thanks for all your support, i was ill for a very long time after this, my whole life changed. The situation has been resolved, but took a long time and was not pleasant at all.

i was treated and spoken to like an idiot.Can honestly say worse experience of my life, was off work for months,

am now getting on with things and hope next year is better than this one.

thanks so much for all your advice and support x