ESA APPEAL WEDNESDAY - Help needed please re descriptors and points scoring

sit down
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4468 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have my ESA appeal tomorrow. In determining whether I should be awarded ESA I am confused as to whether I should be counting points from The Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2008 Schedule 2 or the LCW descriptors as laid out in the Tameside help document.

The descriptors in the Tameside doc appear to be less generous than those in the actual Act on which they should (?) be based. I suffer from epilepsy and loss of control of bodily functions and believe I score enough points if the more detailed descriptors in activities 10 and 11 of the Act are applied. I cannot understand why these differ from the scoring system in the Tameside doc where they seem to be replaced by activities 9 and 10 which are less detailed and thus limit my ability to score points.

My appeal is on Wednesday so I am desperate for some help please.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?316210-ESA50-Guide

Is this what you are looking for.. 2 links in the first post of the thread above.

I will also flag your thread for further assistance.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for the links. They have the same scoring system as what I was calling the Tameside doc.

What I need to know is if I have to refer to those descriptors and scoring system or if I can base my appeal around what it actually says in Schedule 2 of The 2008 Act. I don't have a high enough post count to post links atm but what I really want to do is refer to the more detailed descriptors and scoring system in the Act.

For example, if I had 2 seizures in the 6 months preceding the assesment I could apply the following (taken from the Act) : 11. Remaining conscious during waking moments.11(a)At least once a week, has an involuntary episode of lost or altered consciousness, resulting in significantly disrupted awareness or concentration.15(b)At least once a month, has an involuntary episode of lost or altered consciousness, resulting in significantly disrupted awareness or concentration.9©At least twice in the six months immediately preceding the assessment, has had an involuntary episode of lost or altered consciousness, resulting in significantly disrupted awareness or concentration.6(d)None of the above apply.0

From that I should score 6 points but in the factsheets you link to I would score 0. Which is correct? Many thanks.

Hello there.

This is a link to the DWP June 2011 document on descriptors, which is the most recent AFAIK. You need from page 17 onwards to see which descriptors you fit and how many points you think you should score.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@disabled/documents/digitalasset/dg_177366.pdf

There's also a forum sticky about appeals and tribunals with my name on it and a template letter if you have time to put something together today.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Wouldn't it come down to the frequency of you losing consciousness or losing control of your bodily fucntions? By my reckoning if it is only happening on average every 3 months, You would be entitled to 6 points on the bodily functions scoring and 0 on the loss of consciousness. I suppose the governments way of thinking is that this oly happens to you 4 times a year on average you could theoretically do some sort of work.

Wouldn't it come down to the frequency of you losing consciousness or losing control of your bodily fucntions? By my reckoning if it is only happening on average every 3 months, You would be entitled to 6 points on the bodily functions scoring and 0 on the loss of consciousness. I suppose the governments way of thinking is that this oly happens to you 4 times a year on average you could theoretically do some sort of work.

Well, only the OP will know their own health. It's hard for us to judge.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks for the responses so far.

I'm sitting here really worried but by my reckoning the following should have scored me another 6 points (and I've already scored 6 in mental health and section) :

11©At least twice in the six months immediately preceding the assessment, has had an involuntary episode of lost or altered consciousness, resulting in significantly disrupted awareness or concentration. 6 points.

That added to the 6 for the continence issue should have given me 18. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Going by honeybees up to date scoring system direct from the governments own website, I would read it you will get the 6 for the mental illnesses already agreed on. You would then get a further 6 for the continence issue. But if you are saying you are only losing consciousness every 3 months on average you will score no points there. They are saying you need to be having at least 1 every month to qualify for points on that count. So unless there are any other areas you can think of that you would qualify for further points on then unfortunately I only count that as 12.

Hi, sit down, if you're still up worrying please don't! Whilst I can't speak for every tribunal, the two I have attended have both been very informal and helpful. The panel, generally speaking, bends over backwards to try and get you as many points as they can within their remit. Best wishes for tomorrow ...