Amazon and Xbox

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Having a bit of difficulty with Amazon.

Partner bought one of the new generation Xbox 360's to replace his old console that RROD'd out of warranty. We transferred his saved games from the old HDD onto the new console and the old one was recycled.

About 6 months on and the console is still running perfectly, no problems at all (despite heavy duty Skyrim obsession!) but the included black controller has developed a fault.

It keeps switching itself off randomly during play whether it is using batteries (tried plenty of fresh ones) or attatched to the USB cord. Very annoying.

So we've contacted Amazon to request that we return the controller and get a replacement as its still well inside warranty.

Amazon want us to send the entire console bundle back to replacce.

This will mean he's going to lose his entire saved games and HDD info as we have zero way of backing this up or storing elsewhere as well as having to go to a heck of a hassle to pack up and post the whole bundle just to have one component they sell seperately replaced.

Amazon have refused to budge from this position.

Is there anything we can do just to have the controller replaced and not everything or am I going to have to swallow this loss and pay to replace the controller with a new one?

I know nothing about the xbox, but if there are ports to connect external drives, they aren't very expensive now and there are bargains on ebay, so you could back up. The drive would be a boon in the future as well.

Thanks for the quick answer ^_^

I did consider that as a possiblity as I have enough space on an external HDD to cover all of his used space. Unfortunately when ive been looking at guides it seems theres no official way of doing this. Most guides show to make a backup (this Xbox is the newer type without the removable HDD) would actually require having the Xbox modded which would remove his ability to use the online service. Im not techy savvy enough to go messing with firmware.

The memory cards Microsoft provide can only save games and small amounts of content which means his profiles and larger DLC would be lost.

If anyone knows a way around this though Id be most thankful.

You could also back up to a USB stick. Doesn't the Xbox keep saved game data on its servers anyway? I seem to remember buying a second one a few years ago, putting in my username and password and all my old game-saves suddenly appearing! Better double check though.

As for DLC, you can easily download all this again (annoying) and it wont cost anything. Your transaction details will have been saved and you can download a few times per-purchase.

Edited by wombleingfree

• 4 weeks later...

Call Microsoft. Say your controller is faulty and Amazon want you to send the whole lot back. Explain the hard drive situation, and Microsoft, depending on who you speak to, should tell you they are sending out a box for you to send the controller back and send you a new one. As long as the console is registered on xbox.com, you should be ok. I done it wiht a faulty 120 gig Hard drive. The shop I bought it from had gone out of business. They will probably ask for a scan of the receipt or a statement. Once you email them, they should be fine.

Call Microsoft. Say your controller is faulty and Amazon want you to send the whole lot back. Explain the hard drive situation, and Microsoft, depending on who you speak to, should tell you they are sending out a box for you to send the controller back and send you a new one. As long as the console is registered on xbox.com, you should be ok. I done it wiht a faulty 120 gig Hard drive. The shop I bought it from had gone out of business. They will probably ask for a scan of the receipt or a statement. Once you email them, they should be fine.

Thankyou!

Weve just been onto Microsoft and theyve sent us a postage label to send off just the controller and they will send us a replacement free of charge. Perfect!

• 2 weeks later...

Profiles and DLC - Profiles can be downloaded again from XBOX Live, assuming they've been used to access online, and DLC should be saved somewhere within the profile so could be downloaded again at no extra cost.