New to this - am I missing something important?

Susan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6322 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We are very interested in claiming our huge charges back from HSBC, both personal and business. I have read tthe letter templates and one advises us to look at the Information Commissioners which I have done, but am unsure which information I am to take particulat note of. I am worried about starting this without being aware of my own obligations and want to do it correctly. This whole thing is very new to me, I don't usually deal with the banks or much of the business side but my husband has been unwell so it's up to me. If anyone could point me in the direction I need to go before I send the first letter to the bank I would be very grateful. Many thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the group. The only thing you are missing is the money that the bank has taken from your account. It really does take a few days to get your head around all the arguments and all the information.

You will be setting a timetable (the timetable that the bank says it will work to is irrelevant). In the FAQ you will find 'first steps.' Start this, be clear on what your first step is (requesting the info from the bank so that you can calculate what they owe you). You are with HSBC, so you could actually download all statement details online, but it is still wise to send the DPA request letter too. This asks for details of any manual intervention in your account.

Whilst waiting for the info, read up on your next step. If you make sure you stick to your own thread in the relevant area (eg [username] claim against [bank]), and use this as a sort of diary which you can update as things progress. It will also enable you to check responses to your questions, and people will be able to find your thread a lot easier.

Good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 5 months later...

Hi Susan and welcome

First step is to read up on FAQ's and other peoples threads to get an idea of the process. There is a link below to the user guide, but I must stress do your reading first, after that take a deap breath, a stiff drink and go for it. :D

Remember this is the first step towards being reunited with YOUR MONEY

• Confused 1

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

• 3 months later...

Hello Everybody,

I trust (and hope) you all had a very merry christmas!!

I have been a member of this forum for quite a long time now but this is my first post. So do please bear with me if I am posting in the wrong thread/area.

I'm a s/e IT Consultant and after finally getting myself back on track through the throes of bereavement and divorce, have finally got my head out of the sand and decided enough is enough and I am starting (along with thousands of others) to take action. Today was the first step in my great tirade of claiming back my bank charges from First Direct plc. I have requested via a telephone call, copies of all statements since I opened the accounts on 28th Feb 2001. One is a current account and the other is a credit card account (which has long been closed because when I was in financial difficulty they piled the charges on and requested the card back) the account has not been used for well over one and a half years now but remains 'open' although I dont have a card, I kept it open to improve my credit rating as showing a nil balance. I had to pay them back 5k.

Now, as I am in the novice/first stages of this reclaiming process, I am awaiting said statements for both accounts in the post, was told 10-14 days from today and that there will be no charge on this occasion they would do it for free. What I cannot find on this forum (perhaps Im not looking in the correct threads) is a list of exactly what you can and cannot claim for? Returned direct debits? I think so. Overdraft fees? Not sure. Unauthorised overdraft fees? Again not sure. Interest (which they add on monthly)?

I am furious this christmas. Two invoices have not been paid, for Nov and Dec therefore leaving me in my overdraft and exceeding it and not having one penny (no word of a lie) to go out of the house over christmas and also over new year. Pride won't let me take up invites with nothing to take with me, not even the customary bottle of wine for the host. Very miserable this year. Accountant is not back at work until 4th Jan so his offices remain closed. Also same goes for IT Agent whom I'm contracting through. Still, I look at it this way, I'm better off than thousands of fold in third world countries and the aftermath of the tsunami. One has to be grateful for small mercies.

Sorry to drone on..I hope I've not put some to sleep...lol Please can someone point me in the right direction.

Happy new year all.

amber - you've come to the right place - almost - first let's get you your own thread where more people will see it and advise you. near the top of the forum is a new thread starter tab. see if you can get it going and maybe cut and paste above post into it.

here are some useful links:Newcomer? Here's A User Guide plus this one:

Charges description on statements - Please Read

try to start you thread - on the hsbc forum page - scroll to the bottom of the posting on page 1 and find the "new thread" tab.

there will be lots more help if people see your post above - that's why i recommend cut and paste it to your own thread.

good luck.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6322 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks