• Tweets

• Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Team effort – Unlawful "Head H" bailiff fees for the attention of MoJ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a case where Ross and Roberts have backed down on a Head H fee (and multiplied fees acting on 2 LOs) and agreed to refund if anyone is interested :)

Can I suggest you start a new thread and let us know your story as it may well help others.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

More figures in (breaking through 20k), and from just one more local authority the removals total bumped up the previous 31 by 60%:

Gedling Borough Council (Bristow & Sutor; Dukes; Rossendales)

Figure submitted:
| Goods removed: 19

Update:

Harrow have now joined Havant Borough Council and North East Lincs in safely guarding their data.

The figure stands at 21,474 for goods removed 50 times.

No, I cannot say at this moment due to the issue outlined in my earlier message.

We understand, no problem, it could well be B & S or Jacobs, who are clamp happy, but outlawla's research has uncovered fraud at a national level. This is truly White Collar Crime as defined by Prof Gary Slapper.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

We understand, no problem, it could well be B & S or Jacobs, who are clamp happy, but outlawla's research has uncovered fraud at a national level. This is truly White Collar Crime as defined by Prof Gary Slapper.

It's ridiculous how they are getting away with it!. The LA know when and how these fees are being changed also which makes it even worse.

As I have said many times on this forum regarding the "Head H" fee that if there is a dispute you will need to ascertain what Parliament intended when this fee had been introduced and for the answer you need to look no further that the 1997 Council Tax letter from the DEFR that I have referred to many times in the past.

From this document it is as CLEAR as day that Parliament intended this fee (of £24.50) to cover the costs of advertising the removed goods for sale.

END OF......

How many times has a Bailiff company advertised goods for sale?

In my experience when goods are removed, they are immediately dropped off at the auction house who value the goods and put them in a newspaper add along with all the other stuff that is up for auction.

All the Bailiff company does is send a letter saying to avoid the sale make full payment by xx date.

IF goods are removed,I believe it is perfectly reasonable for head H to be applied.

My worry is that the wording has been changed several times.The original wording covered "expenses incurred in connection with a proposed sale where there is no buyer" ie reasonable fees incurred other than auctioneers fees.

It was then changed to "reasonable costs incurred in respect of advertising" before being amended again in 1998 (not sure if this supercedes the 1997 letter that TT refers to)

The latest format has been abused due to the re-wording in 1998.I've got a couple of things planned to try to develop this issue further with my local council at some further point.

It's ridiculous how they are getting away with it!. The LA know when and how these fees are being changed also which makes it even worse.

If the fee is applied correctly as stipulated then here is no cause for complaint, it is where it is added along with other doubtful fees like waiting time, along with a First Visit, levy on a third party motor etc.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

IF goods are removed,I believe it is perfectly reasonable for head H to be applied.

My worry is that the wording has been changed several times.The original wording covered "expenses incurred in connection with a proposed sale where there is no buyer" ie reasonable fees incurred other than auctioneers fees.

It was then changed to "reasonable costs incurred in respect of advertising" before being amended again in 1998 (not sure if this supercedes the 1997 letter that TT refers to)

The latest format has been abused due to the re-wording in 1998.I've got a couple of things planned to try to develop this issue further with my local council at some further point.

These issues were put to the MoJ (and vehicle attendances) who off-loaded them onto the Department of Communities and Local Government. The DCLG after months on end came up with a pathetic response on the Head H questions, and still have never responded to the van attendance issues.

A couple of posts on another thread detail the questions Here and Here, but the first response from DCLG (in regards head H) was this:

Dear Mr xxx

Your e-mail of 11th June has been passed to this department for answering as we hold policy responsibility for council tax. I apologise for the delay in replying.

You ask two questions relating to Schedule 5 of the Council tax (Administration and enforcement) regulations 1992. These are

Q.1. Have the amendments (SI 1998/295 for council tax and SI 1998/3089 for NNDR) been introduced to eliminate the advertising element which was the specific purpose for the “Head H” fee in the first place?

Heading G of Schedule 5 to SI 1992/613) provides for reasonable costs incurred in respect of advertising to be included in the aggregated amount under regulation 45(20 of the regulations.

Q.2. For the purpose of imposing the “Head H” fee, do goods need to have been physically removed with respect to Regulation 45(4), to be define as being “available for collection by the debtor”?

This is for the local authority to decide, as it is they, not central government, who interpret the legislation. However, definitive interpretation of any legislation is a matter for the courts.

Council Tax Division

Communities and Local Government

5/E2 Eland House

Bressenden Place

London SW1E 5DU

Not particularly wanting to be fobbed-off, the following was sent in reply:

Dear Mr xx,

Thank you for your 30 August 2012 email.

I do however request some clarification of your response. I'll deal with Q1 to start with.

"
Q.1. Have the amendments (SI 1998/295 for council tax and SI 1998/3089 for NNDR) been introduced to eliminate the advertising element which was the specific purpose for the “Head H” fee in the first place?

Heading G of Schedule 5 to SI 1992/613) provides for reasonable costs incurred in respect of advertising to be included in the aggregated amount under regulation 45(20 of the regulations.

Firstly, you have explained Heading G as apposed to Heading H and I believe there is no regulation 45(20) in SI 1992/613 and assume this has been a typo and it was your intention to refer to regulation 45(2). If I have assumed wrongly please let me know.

Secondly, I've been quite thorough in going through each amendment to SI 1992/613 where changes have been made to Schedule 5 of the regulations. This is why I've focussed particularly on the advertising aspect of costs detailed in the various amendments. Consequently, it is apparent to me that a clear distinction exists between advertising costs, with respect an actual sale by auction (specifically detailed at heading G as you have stated), and out of pocket advertising costs detailed at heading H, which have arisen, despite no goods being sold.

To clarify my point, schedule 5 to amendment SI 1993/773 states at both heading G and H:

"
Reasonable costs and fees incurred in respect of advertising
".

It is clear from this legislation, that both headings G and H refer to advertising costs, the only difference being that "G" relates to an actual sale, whereas costs under "H" compensates the firm for advertising goods which, due to settling outstanding payments, needed to be returned to the debtor.

My query came about because of the amendment SI 1998/3089 which although is for NNDR regulations, did no longer specify at heading H, that fees related to advertising. There is in my view, a serious need for this to be clarified because hundreds of thousands of people have been, and are still incurring these costs.

Therefore my original question still stands:

Have the amendments (SI 1998/295 for council tax and SI 1998/3089 for NNDR) been introduced to eliminate the advertising element which was the specific purpose for the "Head H" fee in the first place?

I will deal with the second element of my request in a following email.

Yours sincerely,

The following email:

Further to my previous email I would now like to deal with the second element of my query:

"
Q.2. For the purpose of imposing the “Head H” fee, do goods need to have been physically removed with respect to Regulation 45(4), to be define as being “available for collection by the debtor”?

This is for the local authority to decide, as it is they, not central government, who interpret the legislation. However, definitive interpretation of any legislation is a matter for the courts.

Allowing local authorities to interpret this legislation is in my opinion nothing less than reckless of the department for Communities and Local Government. This lack of control, apparently allowing councils to do what they want, probably explains why they're like the mafia to deal with.

It seems nobody knows or cares about what is and isn't meant by the regulations. This legislation remember is used to extort money from hundreds of thousands of members of the public.

If like you state, the definitive interpretation is a matter for the courts, why has no local authority or ultimately the department for Communities and Local Government consulted the court?

This, up until now, has it seems never been considered important. However, as it involves many thousands of residents each year, I consider it should be investigated, and therefore request that the department for Communities and Local Government consult whoever is necessary to get an answer.

I have since making this query read a Government Ombudsman's report dated 10 July 2012 on an investigation into complaint against Blaby District Council.

The report is here:

http://www.lgo.org.uk/GetAsset.aspx?id=fAAxADUANgA0AHwAfABUAHIAdQBlAHwAfAAwAHwA0

It seems the LGO consider goods do need to have been physically removed with respect to Regulation 45(4), to be defined as being “available for collection by the debtor”.

This is made clear in various parts of the report and particularly at item 48, which is as follows:

From report (item 48)

"
Head H fee

48. I note the bailiffs charged a ‘redemption fee’ of £24.50 under Head H of Schedule 5 in respect of one of the vehicles on the 2005 liability order. This fee was removed when the Council established the car did not belong to Mrs Smith. I welcome this action. But the Head H fee should not have been applied on the facts of this case: the goods were not ‘made available for collection by the debtor’ as they were never removed. This was maladministration.

Yours sincerely,

From the final correspondence on this from the Department of Communities and Local Government, you will be able to tell they thoroughly looked into the issues raised before responding.

Dear Mr xxx,

Thank you for your e-mails. I apologise for the delay in replying and appreciate your patience.

You ask whether SI 1998/295 and SI 1998/3089 were introduced to eliminate the advertising element that was, you state, the purposes for the Head H fee.

The advertising element has not been abolished; it can be included in the aggregate amount under Heading G.

Once gain I thank you for your patience.

Regards

Council Tax Division

Communities and Local Government

5/E2 Eland House

Bressenden Place

London SW1E 5DU

My point is as Tomtubby says the fee is for advertisement, Bailiff companies do not advertise the goods themselves its done by the auction house.

Auction houses don't charge for advertisement either. They charge a commission to the buyer and seller of goods of about 15% + vat. They may also charge for Insurance and storage of goods. All of this would be deducted from the final amount that is then passed to the bailiffs.

The fee WAS for advertising but if you check Schedule 5 & regulation 45(4),there is no mention of advertising.

As I interpret that,the cost hasn't been soley for advertising since 1998.You can't claim that a regulation is for advertising when there is no mention of advertising within it.The latest wording makes it possible for bailiffs to be compensated for any form of wasted expenses incurred after goods have been removed.The compensation (£24.50) is not exclusively for reimbursement of advertising costs but for ANY costs incurred AFTER goods have been removed.The principal is the same but the ability to recover legitimate costs is broader.Bailiff companies have simply abused this wording and have replaced it with what they call a "redemption" fee which basically means they will charge you £24.50 for absolutely nothing.

Havant Borough Council isn't budging. It can keep its data if it wants. However, what they've offered in regards an admission, is something equally worthwhile.

The councils response explains why references to Ross and Roberts have been made on a number of these posts....

"
Costs referred Sch 5 (H) can be applied without removing goods. They are applied in respect of Regulation 45(4) of the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 which refers to goods being 'seized'. They can still remain on the debtors premises.....

However, as previously advised Ross and Roberts do apply these costs (without actually removing goods)...

Havant Borough Council isn't budging. It can keep its data if it wants. However, what they've offered in regards an admission, is something equally worthwhile.

The councils response explains why references to Ross and Roberts have been made on a number of these posts....

"
Costs referred Sch 5 (H) can be applied without removing goods. They are applied in respect of Regulation 45(4) of the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 which refers to goods being 'seized'. They can still remain on the debtors premises.....

However, as previously advised Ross and Roberts do apply these costs (without actually removing goods)...

In which case they are ripe for a spanking by the LGO

Schedule 5 refers to the "circumstances referred to in 45(4)

45(4) is a paragraph-These criminals cannot cherry pick 1 single word from the paragraph to justify illegal fees.When read in its entirety (as it should be),it is claear as to what these "circumstances" are.

We all know it and the LGO knows it but still these crooks are getting away with it.

It doesn't matter how many straws they clutch at,this fee is not justifiable

Schedule 5 refers to the "circumstances referred to in 45(4)

45(4) is a paragraph-These criminals cannot cherry pick 1 single word from the paragraph to justify illegal fees.When read in its entirety (as it should be),it is claear as to what these "circumstances" are.

We all know it and the LGO knows it but still these crooks are getting away with it.

It doesn't matter how many straws they clutch at,this fee is not justifiable

This has been happening for a long time and all Councils/Bailiffs interpret the Regulations to suit themselves. Remember what we see here is only the tip of the iceberg and most people are flannelled by what they get back in reply - after all seeing as they do this day in & day out then they must know what they are doing - mustn't they?

When they are found out they back pedal and how many infamous clerical errors, admin errors or rare errors do we see. the only thing they did wrong was to be caught out. Of course if they did everything correctly in the beginning .........................!

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wrexham, although resisting at first, later became more cooperative when a good samaritan volunteered to step in and help out.

Wrexham County Borough Council (Jacobs/Rossendales/Excel)

Figure submitted:
(Jacobs 1,552) (Rossendales 168) (Excel 1,274) | Goods removed: (2) (0) (7)

Update:

The figure stands at 24,468 for goods removed 59 times.

Wrexham, although resisting at first, later became more cooperative when a good samaritan volunteered to step in and help out.

Wrexham County Borough Council (Jacobs/Rossendales/Excel)

Figure submitted:
(Jacobs 1,552) (Rossendales 168) (Excel 1,274) | Goods removed: (2) (0) (7)

Update:

The figure stands at 24,468 for goods removed 59 times.

The case R v Enforcement Industry on charges of Systemic fraud is gathering absolute evidence that Head h fee fraud is endemic.

As I have said very often...it is not that bailiff companies are charging fees that are illegal..but they are instead interpreting the fee scale in such a way so as to ensure a monetary gain for themselves.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks