• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Team effort – Unlawful "Head H" bailiff fees for the attention of MoJ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Surely then the fundamental basis ids that they have actually removed them physically to another location say a saleroom,for sale, and incurred advertising cost, if not the head h is void no matter what council and bailiff claIm

So implementing the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 and the amendments SI 1993/773 and SI 1998/295, rather than accept the council's interpretation of them, the part of the schedule, detailing "Head H" would be:

(H) Where no sale takes place by reason of payment or tender in the Circumstances referred to in Regulation 45(4);

For fees incurred in respect of advertising

Either:

(i) £24.50, or

(ii) the actual costs incurred, to a maximum of 5% of the amount in respect of which the liability order was made.

whichever is the greater.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So implementing the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 and the amendments SI 1993/773 and SI 1998/295, rather than accept the council's interpretation of them, the part of the schedule, detailing "Head H" would be:

That would be the reasonable assumption, but council and bailiffs think they can make it up as they go along.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

To gain an advantage for themselves, Jacobs, as well as Rossendales and Bristow & Sutor distort the intended purpose for what the "H" fee is for, and manage to influence councils.

JacobsRedemptionFee-1.jpg

"A redemption fee of £24.50 is applicable on all cases where a levy (seizure) takes place."

This is total rubbish and typical of what these chancers are indoctrinating local authorities with. They somehow manage to fox heads of legal departments within councils who are on six figure salaries. What are they paid for? Unbelievable!

This all needs teasing out on the consultation sub-forum, under fee structure

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

It looks like I may be about to contest this very fee. Thanks to PT for pointing it out to me.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?339632-Council-Tax-Bristow-amp-Sutor

I will of course keep all documentation, if it is on any help to yall Im happy to share.

Thanks!

Just read your thread. I agree with ploddertom....the charge will probably be the levy and £24.50 "H" fee. If so, they will be charging £64 for the levy. That would be levying on an outstanding debt of £1,440 (I think).

Just one other thing.....was the council's Liability Order cost £40?

• 1 year later...

Updating the 'Head H fee' saga....

.....Officers at North East Lincolnshire council are aware – and if they're not, they should be – that I'm after making sure some of these become accountable (in an arrow suited sort of way) for the part they play in the systematic fraud in council tax liability order applications and the subsequent crime they abet with their appointed bailiff firm Rossendales.

....Allowing their bailiffs to unlawfully charge the 'Head H' fee has been put to them. The council denies it has records of debtors who have been charged this fee. The evidence it supplied me in writing suggests they do hold, or can access this information if they so wanted.

Getting nowhere fast with this. The Information Commissioner (ICO) has been effective only in exposing North East Lincolnshire Council as liars. Ha! Like I needed their help determining this.

After several months, keeping up the charade that it didn't have records of the number of Head H fees charged to council tax payers, it changed its mind. It decided it did hold details, only so it could invoke section 12 of the Freedom of Information Act, exempting the release as doing so would exeed the appropriate cost limit.

It claimed it would cost £40,000 in man hours to manually go through their records to determine the number of cases where the fee was imposed by Rossendales.

It must be of vital importance that this information is kept from the public. The body overseeing Information Requests (ICO), since discovering they lied, have backed North East Lincolnshire Council 100%, thus allowing them to keep guarded this incriminating evidence. Not surprising when the Government department responsible for them is the Ministry of Justice – the same as is in-bed with these private bailiff firms.

The ICO accepts the clowncil's £40,000 estimate as fact even, though they were lied to over holding the information in the first place. The decision was appealed and escalated to the First-tier Tribunal (Information Rights), and as you'd expect, the appeal was struck out.

Without going into detail, the Tribunal Judge appeared not to understand the points being argued about why it was thought the Information Commissioner made the wrong decision. It was for this reason, the Judge struck-out the appeal. This has serious consequences as it has set a precedent for the Information Commissioner, who is now relying on the Judge's hashed decision to apply for another strike-out in regards another refusal to supply data relating to Attendance charges (van fees) charged by Rossendales.

It has been noticed how thorough the ICO are when composing their reports. What sticks out like a sore thumb in the Commissioner's application to strike-out the appeal (second case) is the reference throughout the report to a 'Head F fee' in the Head H case before. Was this a joke?

It seems submitting complaints to the Information Commissioner and appeals to the Tribunal is inadvertently allowing these corrupt officials to remain in employment at the taxpayer's expense for the purpose of harbouring these criminals. The fraud department of Humberside police have been sent details and are supposedly assessing this, but what are the chances that once assessed, they'll be unable to investigate as they'll find nothing to suggest any crime has been committed?

Edited by outlawla

If Copeland borough Council can get it right why can't the others?

http://www.copeland.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=793

see Section 1 [H]

They got it right but a bit muddled:

H - Where no sale takes place by reason of payment Reasonable costs and fees incurred in respect of or tender in the circumstances referred to in advertising, either regulation 45(4): (i) £24.50 or the actual costs incurred, to a maximum of 5per cent. of the amount in respect of which the Liability Order was made, whichever is the greater.

I think this is the unravelled version:

H - Where no sale takes place by reason of payment or tender in the circumstances referred to in regulation 45(4):

Reasonable costs and fees incurred in respect of advertising

either

(i) £24.50, or

(ii) the actual costs incurred, to a maximum of 5per cent. of the amount in respect of which the Liability Order was made, whichever is the greater.

[EDIT]

Of great concern to me is that every day we receive enquiries where a HEAD H FEE has been charged and in every case the bailiff company is Bristow & Sutor. It would seem that this particular bailiff company have somehow convinced each local authority that they represent that charging this fee is legal.

You only have to look back at posts on this forum to see examples.

check back outlawla's post#28 on this tread to see what the bailiff take on head h and other dubiously applied fees is, and their attempts to justify it by quoting opinion from Counsel, in exactly the way Retail loss Prevention do to justify their bog roll Invoices on their website.

Unless goods have been removed and advertised for sale,, don't think, it can lawfully be charged, Bristow & Sutor, need a slap or winding up, as in they would then be "Busted & Stupid"

A Borough Council supplied details relating to Council Tax enforcement and the number of times a "Header H" fee was incurred in cases since 2009/10. The figure submitted was 167. The significance here is, goods had not been removed in any of the 167 cases.

It seems Rossendales are the bailiff contractor for this local authority.

Full details can be found here:

Council Tax Regulations – Schedule 5 bailiff fees

EDIT:

Similarly, another Borough Council outsourcing its enforcement operations to Rossendales has revealed for the same period that a "Header H" fee was incurred in 76 cases. Goods had only been removed in 4 of these cases. Details here....

Edited by outlawla

So the Police don't have powers to access councils' / Rossendales accounts, even when presented with evidence that potentially £millions throughout the country is being pick-pocketed from the least affluent of society.

Even if evidence is obtained (it is now – see above post) they have implied that they won't investigate because of the technicalities of proving fraud.

Another reminder of what the deputy head of fraud at the Crown Prosecution Service said:

"
People who commit fraud, in any walk of life, should know that the scale and technicality of a case is no barrier to bringing it to justice. At the heart of any complex fraud is a simple notion of dishonesty which is something that we can all understand

policereply12march2013_zpsd147edd5.png Edited by outlawla

the police are as corrupt as the bailiffs and councils then so should investgate themselves. Wait a minute they already do, IPC.......

The stumbling blocks 'apparently' are persuading the accused to reveal particulars of their accounts. That plays into the hands of the Police because the Information Commissioner and Tribunal Judge says there's no requirement, because doing so would exceed the appropriate cost limit. It's likely NELC (claiming £40K) are lying anyway because two other councils, also contracted to Rossendales, (ONE & TWO) have supplied the information without resistance.

The force's excuse about proving beyond reasonable doubt that they are acting dishonestly is lame in the extreme. If the boss of a bailiff company dealing with 140 or so local authorities doesn't know the law surrounding distress, there must be other criminal charges to add on top of fraud.

The stumbling blocks 'apparently' are persuading the accused to reveal particulars of their accounts. That plays into the hands of the Police because the Information Commissioner and Tribunal Judge says there's no requirement, because doing so would exceed the appropriate cost limit. It's likely NELC (claiming £40K) are lying anyway because two other councils, also contracted to Rossendales, (ONE & TWO) have supplied the information without resistance.

The force's excuse about proving beyond reasonable doubt that they are acting dishonestly is lame in the extreme. If the boss of a bailiff company dealing with 140 or so local authorities doesn't know the law surrounding distress, there must be other criminal charges to add on top of fraud.

Not to mention Misfeance in Public Office for council officials, and even councillors complicit in the stitch ups.

Some of the hoops you're made to jump through when trying to obtain information that none of the authorities want you to have.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42499[/ATTACH]

Unsuccessful appeal to Tribunal for the release of schedule 5 Head H fee data.

The ongoing Tribunal on Attendance charges (van fees) imposed by Rossendales.

Anyone would think they have something to hide.

More results in...this time Blaby District Council. It's a pity these figures can't be confirmed as they don't seem right.

This is what they say:

Since 2009/10, out of 5,383 cases sent to bailiffs to levy distress for Council Tax, the Head H fee was charged 8 times only and goods removed in 3 cases.

Edited by outlawla

With the record number of Head H fees, it looks like South Ribble Borough Council's outsourced contractor, Jacobs, are looking favourite for winning the ****** of the year award.

Since 2009/10, the Head H fee was imposed 1,395 times, which corresponds to goods being removed in 0 cases.

Without a doubt.

The only thing missing from the information is how much they've been charged. Then again I would put money on the figure miraculously being £24.50 for each imposed charge, which happens to be a figure they would least likely to be asked to provide receipts for the cost of advertising goods which had never been removed.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks