style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4489 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my son who is 17 in march has received a letter from rlp demanding £179.00 for costs for staff ect ect, for a incident that happen in a tk max store he tried to pay for a t-shirt at a lower price. He is in full time education and has no income apart from the £10.00 per week pocket money i give him. When the incident took place i punished him by not allowing him pocket money for 4 weeks. when he received the letter he panicked and phone the number on the letter and explained to the person he has no income apart from what i give him. They have said he can pay £10.00 per month. He has never been in trouble before and understands what he did was wrong, but i just need some advice as to what i should do now.

many thanks

Edited by felix244

my son who is 17 in march has received a letter from rlp demanding £179.00 for costs for staff ect ect, for a incident that happen in a tk max store he tried to pay for a t-shirt at a lower price. He is in full time education and has no income apart from the £10.00 per week pocket money i give him. When the incident took place i punished him by not allowing him pocket money for 4 weeks. when he received the letter he panicked and phone the number on the letter and explained to the person he has no income apart from what i give him. They have said he can pay £10.00 per month. He has never been in trouble before and understands what he did was wrong, but i just need some advice as to what i should do now.

many thanks

he received Letter in march ?? how many of them so far? and did he started paying them? the general advice on here is not to pay, i m in similar situation but am an adult (feels shameful) but i m trying to convince myself that we do silly mistakes at times and i did one of them. why did he contacted the company and is he paying them? ur reply wud be helpful to all those in the similar siatuation. thnx in anticipation

what i meant was My son who will be 17 years old in march, we have only received one letter so far, he contacted them in a state of panic, because he was scarred and concerned about the amount they are asking for, i am sorry for any confusion caused

Edited by felix244

Don't phone them

Don't panick

They have no authority & won't take any action

Their letter is a speculative invoice & does not require payment, although they would like you to & will encourage you to pay ...

Wait for their next letter then send the single line letter "I deny any liability to you or your client" without any further explanation so that they can't say that you haven't replied. Send 2nd class with a certificate of posting - that is sufficient - and hopefully shows what you think of them & their tactics.

Any action would have to be taken by the shop, not RLP. The shop won't take any action because they didn't suffer any actual loss.

Just send a single denial and state no further correspondence will e entered into. A quick search on here will show umpteen people in same position, its well known RLP havnt successfully pursued anyone through the courts.

Google for the CAB RLP report..very interesting reading.

Andy

Just to add the to the advice from 2Grumpy, well worth reading the CAB report on RLP, you will probably notice the lack of breakdown on the invoice.

Here's a link to the forum 'sticky'.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?237416-Civil-Recovery-the-CAB-report

Hello there. The guys know what they're doing, have a read of the CAB report and steel yourself for letters and posturing from the RLP people, but no action. They don't 'do' court despite what they might tell you later on in their scary letters.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

My son is 17 and we received a similar letter, he stole and sandwich from Asda....My initial reaction was to panic and actually feel grateful that the police were not going to be involved and he wouldn't have a criminal record. Then I thought, hold on, thats a bit much, demanding all that money for a sandwich and decided to do some investigating. I came across this site and realised that these threatening letters were just a quick way of them making money from people who find themselves in a vulnerable position.

We ignored the first letter for a while and responded to the second one by denying the charges and asking them to produced their evidence for our solicitor to examine....we never heard from them again. Just keep your nerve and don't be bullied by these people

Basically we just kept it short and to the point. We wrote that we had received letter etc and we deny the event took place, we would not be engaging in any more correspondence with them, but if they would like to produce their evidence to support the allegation we would pass it to our solicitor to examine.

I suppose by answering them and putting the ball back in their court, stopped the letters coming quicker than just ignoring them, but either way, they are not going to do anything, it's just one big bluff.