Me and Mother with Severe Short Term Memory Loss Banned from TK Maxx - RLP biting at me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4398 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sent it to :-

Mr. Paul Sweetenham

Managing Director

TK Maxx

50 Clarendon Road

Watford

WD17 1TX

Let us know what he says or does.

Michael MacMillan, the head of The Marmaxx Group, which is part of TJX and is comprised of the TJ Maxx and Marshalls divisions, will assume leadership of the business’ European division as Senior Executive Vice President (VP) from the start of the next financial year

I am presuming that Mr MacMillan is the one you might need to contact now, as Paul stepped down in January, so I have read.

It may well help to contact either of these two people;

Contacts

Helen Gunter

Helen Gunter

TK Maxx

t:01923 473 367

m:07894 938797

e: [email protected]

Evelyn Morton

Evelyn Morton

TK Maxx

t:01923 473832

m:07990 974915

e: [email protected]

Helen might be the better of the two, its worth a try.

Thanks for all the contact info, I'll write up some drafts tomorrow and get them sent ASAP, and of course I'll send an e-mail off to Watchdog ;) I'll keep you all informed about what responses I receive etc.

RLP have identified you and clearly know about your mother's circumstances.

Clearly sending a doctor's note would have no affect because they already know all about her condition. They probably worded their letter carefully to intimidate to the maxx.

RLP most likely don't have a copy of the CCTV, would not have bothered looking at it and wouldn't care anyway.

Make your request for the CCTV, scan your letters and contact the press

Don't worry about RLP doing anything - they couldn't anyway - they definitely didn't suffer any losses, so can't!!

Hello again Ryan. You mentioned the press as well as Watchdog earlier and my thought would be that you should contact both.

I like Watchdog and what it does, but it's only on once a week and they must plan ahead with stories to have more then one person with the same problem, I suspect. And they have limited runs of the series, don't they? Whilst the press has a lot more opportunities to publish your story. Just my opinion. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

It is doubtful rlp actually have the footage in their posession. They never used to ask for it for normal cases, and only once did we ever send off a dvd, and that was a staff case.

What they will of done, is called the store and asked for a 'walk through' of what happened.

I'm still confused about your complaint to tk's. From my experience of working for the organisation, they were usually very prompt about investigating claims of wrongdoing, as well as providing a detailled explanation of what happened, and if things went wrong, they 'put it right'.

I'm going to be blunt:

Ranting on here about rlp, wont actually achieve anything. Why are you bothering to keep emailing them. They cant even take you to court, its tk's that (if it ever happened) would. If you are bothered about letters and calls etc, then the only person who will 'call them off' is tk's.

Youve been told to get the footage. This is the only impartial evidence that you have of the events of that day. You dont seem to see the importance of the footage, it is important to have it, and to keep it, as it backs your side of the version of events of that day.

You have a legal right to have a copy of the footage. Why havent you made a dpa request yet ?. email customer services, and ask for a dpa subject access request form. Do it NOW !.

Every tk store has a mic in the holding room. Even though you might not of been told at the time, there will of been signs, and every word uttered in that room will of been recorded, by both parties.

As you have said, it will clearly show the behaviour of everyone in that room.

If you are going to the papers / watchdog etc, then, at the moment, its one side of a story. If you go with a dvd full of damming video footage, its a whole different story.

I'm not sure you will get a lot of people wanting to go on tv - unlike your case here, a lot of the others have actually stolen something, on purpose, but dont want to pay the rlp charges (and rightly so). Nobody wants to go on tv and say 'yes, I stole something, but these charges are unenforcable'. The public dont have much time for thieves, nomatter if the principle of rlp is what the discussion is about.

I suppose if the letter is addressed incorrectly, to say J. Bloggs, CEO, it will be ignored - no, as long as it's got CEO/Managing Director it should be fine. I could write a letter today, he might be stepping down tomorrow.

PS - Paul S isnt the managing director any more. He left last year.

It is doubtful rlp actually have the footage in their posession. They never used to ask for it for normal cases, and only once did we ever send off a dvd, and that was a staff case.

What they will of done, is called the store and asked for a 'walk through' of what happened.

I'm still confused about your complaint to tk's. From my experience of working for the organisation, they were usually very prompt about investigating claims of wrongdoing, as well as providing a detailled explanation of what happened, and if things went wrong, they 'put it right'.

I'm going to be blunt:

Ranting on here about rlp, wont actually achieve anything. Why are you bothering to keep emailing them. They cant even take you to court, its tk's that (if it ever happened) would. If you are bothered about letters and calls etc, then the only person who will 'call them off' is tk's.

Youve been told to get the footage. This is the only impartial evidence that you have of the events of that day. You dont seem to see the importance of the footage, it is important to have it, and to keep it, as it backs your side of the version of events of that day.

You have a legal right to have a copy of the footage. Why havent you made a dpa request yet ?. email customer services, and ask for a dpa subject access request form. Do it NOW !.

Every tk store has a mic in the holding room. Even though you might not of been told at the time, there will of been signs, and every word uttered in that room will of been recorded, by both parties.

As you have said, it will clearly show the behaviour of everyone in that room.

If you are going to the papers / watchdog etc, then, at the moment, its one side of a story. If you go with a dvd full of damming video footage, its a whole different story.

I'm not sure you will get a lot of people wanting to go on tv - unlike your case here, a lot of the others have actually stolen something, on purpose, but dont want to pay the rlp charges (and rightly so). Nobody wants to go on tv and say 'yes, I stole something, but these charges are unenforcable'. The public dont have much time for thieves, nomatter if the principle of rlp is what the discussion is about.

I've e-mailed TK Maxx multiple times and have only received a 'We apologize for the inconveniences caused but are investigating the matter further' etc, then I never hear from them again. I have requested a DPA subject access request form but haven't got a response as of yet. There was also a video camera in the holding room so I cannot wait to see that. Once I get the footage I fully intend to upload it so everyone can see the truth, as well as the letters I have received, like you said it is clear that RLP haven't seen the actual footage, as their description of what happened is a complete blatant lie.

Whilst I understand that 'ranting' on here about RLP wont acheive anything the reason I came on this forum was to find out our rights etc, and without all the help of the people here we probably would have just given up, rolled over and payed the fine, which I'm glad we didn't.

Hi Ryan

You've got serious concerns about your treatment by TKMaxx and subsequently RLP, this is your thread so carry on posting when every you want.

Great and thanks for the support. I'm awaiting a response from TKMaxx about getting access to the CCTV footage, once I have all the footage I'm taking it to the press. I'll go to Watchdog as well as one of the big UK newspapers who I'm sure would eat up the story. I'm just waiting on this footage now. I honestly wouldn't have bothered hadn't RLP continued to harass us threatening court etc, and even though I know they can't do anything this is a matter of principle now.

Ryan, they have 40 calendar days in which to respond to your SAR request.

Did they actually say that they had the CCTV footage when they started to harrass you ? If so, and as they have threatened litigation, then it might be a bit awkward for them if they have destroyed it - as it is obviously "evidence".

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ryan, they have 40 calendar days in which to respond to your SAR request.

Did they actually say that they had the CCTV footage when they started to harrass you ? If so, and as they have threatened litigation, then it might be a bit awkward for them if they have destroyed it - as it is obviously "evidence".

They've only recently told me that they have reviewed the CCTV footage, last week in fact, which took four months for them to do. They haven't even mentioned anything about the footage that was recorded in the holding room which I'm also interested in seeing. Their description of the CCTV footage has many holes in it, just stating that we were seen talking before briskly walking out etc, basically assuming we were talking about stealing it or whatever. They obviously have nothing on us, but are continuing to harass us as a way to scare us into admitting something we didn't do.

I'm also pretty sure that they know that we are in the right but are hesitant to admit it because they know they're in the wrong. We know we're in the right, and they do too, they just don't know that we know they know. Well they do now if they're reading this. They're only pursuing this so they don't have to go through the embarassment of having to admit to their mistakes and the potential scandal in the press etc. They know they've gone too far and I know they're so moronic that they would never back down so I look forward to receiving more correspondence from them in order to build my case against them.

RLP seem to be getting ever more desperate.

Remember, you can get advice wherever you like, and all RLP can do is try to blow smoke up your hoop to scare you.

Anyone reading RLP's website should be very cautious about the veracity of anything they say. Below is an excerpt from the first CAB report:

In a section of its website headed ‘Police’, illustrated with a photograph of a uniformed police officer, Retail Loss Prevention has stated (until mid-November 2009) that the company has “established operating procedures for Civil Recovery, and there are agreed guidelines in place with the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) and Association of Chief Police Officers Scotland (ACPOS). We are working with Criminal Justice Development Department in Northern Ireland to establish protocols for Civil Recovery with the [Police Service of Northern Ireland]. ACPO has paid close attention to civil recovery from the

programme’s inception in 1998 and protocols have been agreed with retailers and Retail Loss Prevention”.

The final sentence of this statement appears to be a direct quotation from an undated letter, prominently displayed on the same page of the website (as at mid-November 2009), addressed to ‘Whom it may concern’, from the then Deputy Chief Constable of Staffordshire Police, David Swift, seemingly acting in his ACPO capacity. This letter appears to have been written by David Swift before March 2006, when he was appointed Chief Constable of Staffordshire Police. Mr Swift retired from the police service in 2007.

Until mid-November 2009, the same page of Retail Loss Prevention’s website prominently displayed a set of civil recovery “operating principles and guidance” issued by ACPOS. As well as guidance on ‘management and security of information’, ‘indemnity’, and ‘procedure for providing/confirming personal data’, this guidance states that “any civil recovery scheme or partnership needs to be run effectively and to the highest ethical standards and to conform to Data Protection Legislation”. However, in recent correspondence with Citizens Advice, ACPOS has stated:

“ACPOS welcomes every opportunity to engage with partners in preventing crime. In this regard police involvement is to assist partners in targeting prolific and organised criminality which can have a huge detrimental financial impact on retailers and our communities. All agreements entered into by ACPOS on behalf of the Scottish Police Service are subject to review and [the agreement with Retail Loss Prevention], which was signed in 2004, is no different. ACPOS will be writing to Retail Loss Prevention to ask them to withdraw the current agreement displayed on their website”.

Furthermore, the Criminal Justice Department of the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) has recently confirmed to Citizens Advice that “while the PSNI did take part in an exploratory meeting with Retail Loss Prevention some two years ago it is not currently involved in any formal discussions with them or any other civil recovery agents”, and that the PSNI has “contacted [Retail Loss Prevention] regarding the statement on their web-site pertaining to PSNI as it is accepted that this may be misleading”.

Everyone can make up their own mind who to believe - CAG, or RLP, a company with form for deliberately trying to mislead.

I've also made some noise on the TK Maxx facebook page. Hopefully this will elicit some kind of quicker response from them in the future. As far as I'm concerned with RLP they're just a nuisance that will eventually get bored of us if we stop responding, but exposing them and TK Maxx is on the top of my priorities list.

That's what I read yesterday. However all these cases seem to be from people who are clearly guilty. I'm pretty sure RLP wont take a disabled stroke victim and cancer sufferer to court with clear proof that it was all an accident etc, there was no intention of stealing. And only ten cases have been to court? I'm sure there's probably more, but RLP would never admit to losing cases. RLP is built on a foundation of scare and intimidate into a confession but even though I wish they would back off part of me is enjoying receiving further letters of them, helping us build a stronger case against them.

Looks like rlp need to look at their own website, they clearly state that you should get legal advice.

You are strongly advised to seek your own independent legal advice without delay. If you cannot afford legal advice you may be entitled to some free legal advice. A number of solicitors offer advice and assistance by way of public funding. A number of organizations such as the Citizens Advice Bureau and local Law Centres may also be able to offer you free advice. Alternatively, you may be covered for legal advice under an insurance policy.

Thats what you have done isnt it?

That's what I read yesterday. However all these cases seem to be from people who are clearly guilty. I'm pretty sure RLP wont take a disabled stroke victim and cancer sufferer to court with clear proof that it was all an accident etc, there was no intention of stealing. And only ten cases have been to court? I'm sure there's probably more, but RLP would never admit to losing cases. RLP is built on a foundation of scare and intimidate into a confession but even though I wish they would back off part of me is enjoying receiving further letters of them, helping us build a stronger case against them.

Exactly Ryan, they spout on about law etc, but they seem to have missed out the bit that states you are innocent until proven guilty.

Looks like rlp need to look at their own website, they clearly state that you should get legal advice.

Then that's what I shall do. As you can imagine being a 16-year old carer with no-one else in the home except for my mother as well as the pressures of school and all the extra time I've had to dedicate to my studies it's difficult to be able to find the time for all of this (having said that I have found more than enough time to post on here). Most days including Saturday's I'm in school until around 5.30pm, which is always a worry leaving my mother to stay at home on her own, I don't want to create a sob story but I then usually cook her food and get on the laptop to complete homework etc and of course for the last two days post on here. My time's been paying off with A and A* predicted GCSE's and I plan to pursue a career in Law in the future (I'm sure I shall aim to represent some victims of RLP as well).

Anyway, when I get a free day I'll try and get my cousin or someone to accompany me to the Citizens Advice Bureau. I'd possibly take my mother however it's difficult for her to get out of the house and sit around for long periods of time due to a back operation she had a few years ago which has resulted in her often walking with a cane which is yet another reason why I was appalled at the way they manhandled her on that day (the first day for months she was not on chemo, not on radiotherapy, not in hospital and well enough to be able to gather the confidence to go into town for some last minute Christmas shopping, and now this has completely ruined her enthusiasm for going to town etc).

Anyway, I'll go to the CAB as soon as I have the security footage and I will take with me all the documents, the letters, my responses everything and we'll see what we can work with. My plan as of now is to wait to receive the security footage, get some advice from CAB as well as make this public, take it to the press etc.

Edited by RyanEllis

Looks like
RLP
link3.gif
need to look at their own website, they clearly state that you should get legal advice.

You are strongly advised to seek your own independent legal advice without delay.
If you cannot afford legal advice you may be entitled to some free legal advic
e. A number of

solicitors offer advice and assistance by way of public funding. A number of organizations such as the Citizens Advice Bureau and local Law Centres may also be able to offer you free advice. Alternatively, you may be covered for legal advice under an insurance policy.

Hmm, so they actually advise people to go to CAB, then criticise CAB for supporting people against them ??

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hmm, so they actually advise people to go to CAB, then criticise CAB for supporting people against them ??

Clearly there's a lack of communication going on at RLP HQ. I hope the fools are reading this now, scratching their heads and realising how hopeless they are. On a personal level the reason for my anger which I've found this forum a place to vent it all is because, like I've said above and no I'm not making a sob story, it was the first day in years she was not undergoing intense chemotherapy, or radiotherapy etc.

Just over a year before she spent three solid months recovering in hospital from a massive stroke, and it took months for her to learn how to walk again and talk again and her mind is just not the same, she's often in a daze, often thinking about her chemo and radiotherapy etc which she went through intense treatments for most of 2011.

When she finally was well enough to have the confidence to go to town this happened, which has scared her from ever going into town again. She's a strong, smart woman that does not need the stress of all this considering everything she's been through. I'm not saying they should drop this just because she suffers from cancer but at least have an ounce of sympathy, we have a valid explanation for everything that happened that day yet they continue to harass and badger us, but I'm sure I don't have to tell you how empathetic RLP are, as we all know they don't know the meaning of the word.