ESA processing time & crisis loans

ghost whistler
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

it took about five weeks to process mine mainly because the DWP lost my medical certificate, and the jobcentre failed to close my claim for JSA.

I did not know at the time but there is a better way to submit the certificate, you phone the DWP and ask them to book an appointment at your local jobcentre they scan the certificate and fax it over you get a copy for your records.

Crisis loans are done over the phone but In my experience a visit to the jobcentre to collect the giro was required, I was not given a direct into the bank option.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

The DWP website says that direct payments should be available. Typically of course they say one thing and mean something else. As somone in a rural area, my concern would be, if i came off JSA and started claiming ESA, that I would need a crisis loan because i won't have enough money to cover the time taken to process ESA and that I would also need the money to collect a crisis loan.

And that's assuming they allow you one at all.

Yes, crisis loans can be paid into an account on the same day instead of being collected in person. They are known as FEPs (Fast Electronic Payments). You would be applying under the 'alignment to benefit' rules. The number to call is 0800 032 7952 and is open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, but be aware that they will probably be closed for a time over the Festive Period.

ESA processing times at the moment are targeted for within 14 working days.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

why would an account not allow it?

Usually technical reasons, I think. Most current accounts at the big banks are fine. Main exception I recall was Nationwide.

Benefit processers have some discretion over FEPs, but it's not likely to be an issue with a Crisis Loan since that's usually urgent pretty much by definition.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

From memory, Santander accepts FEPs for most of its accounts. It's been a while since I dealt with this, though, so I can't be certain. In most cases if you have a sort code and 8 (or 9) digit account number it will work, but an account with only a roll number will not. This isn't a hard and fast rule, though.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

A FEP payment cannot be refused for a Crisis Loan unless of course the account provider does not accept FEP payments or the system for processing it is not functional (rarely). It was introduced specifically for Crisis Loans in May of 2010.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)