Universal Credit/stay at home mums

Kim72
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4573 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi everyone

does anyone know anything about how universal credit will work with regard to stay at home mums?

It seems that both partners in couples who currently claim tax credits will have conditionality applied and both will have to work in order to qualify for universal credit, even if one partner's working full time.

I have read that the threshold is to be set at around the mark that out of work benefit would stop, however i have also read that the threshold for couples is going to be set much higher, - 2 x full time hours at the minimum wage - about £430 per week.

does anyone know anymore? many thanks

I work for tax credits & I be surprised if this level of detail is known yet. I'm not saying you or your source is wrong but we don't even know what is happening yet or how it will work. Harv has only just released the new thresholds for next years tax credits so as UC is a way off I thinks probably rumour.

hi everyone

thanks for your replies.

I read this on DWP website - it seems i'm not able to provide the link.

go to DWP - Universal Credit Briefing notes - 11. Extending conditionality under Universal Credit to working claimants: setting a new conditionality threshold.

This is fine of course if there are plenty of parent/child friendly jobs out there. I've been looking for such a job for over a year, and have only just managed to find a job working at a school, which for the most part fits in with our little ones. The system will be swamped with mothers of young children looking for such jobs, and considering the cuts in public spending these jobs are very few and far between. Add to this, the push for more workers to be flexible to suit the needs of business, it's going to become even harder to find a child friendly job. As an example, my husband works rotating shifts (days and nights - 4 on and 4 off), and he won't be unique, it's especially hard to balance working days/hours with the need for one of us to be home with the children.

this, if it happeens, is going to be extremely hard for those on a low income, we're heading for a generation of latch-key children.

Edited by Kim72
spelling

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)