• Tweets

• Hi friends,  I’m a bit worried I may have got confused with timings here. I thought I had 33 days from my acknowledgment to submit a defence but the date added above says 3/6/24.   have I missed the date?   if so how can I apply for an exception due to my disability and problems with deadlines and dates etc (ADHD)?   what should I submit as a defence?   I’ve had no reply from BW so far    just been back on MCOL and it says 28 days from service if I completed an acknowledgment of service so does that mean 28 days from that of acknowledgement (I.e. 16/5) which would make deadline for defence 14/6?   Thanks! Panicking here.
    • Normally we don't advise playing your cards early in a snotty letter, but as you have appealed we might as well use what you wrote in the appeal against them. There is no rush, you have until 6 July to get it to them.  See what the other regulars think too. How about something like this? -   Dear Rachael & Sean, cheers for your Letter of Claim.  I rolled around on the floor in laughter at the idea you'd actually thought I'd take such tripe seriously and would cough up! As usual you'll have been too bone idle to do any due diligence.  Had you done so you would have seen that I appealed to your client.  Indeed the driver on the day is a textbook example of having done exactly what you should do when you do not wish to be bound by the T&Cs in a private car park. Of course none of that mattered to the spivs you represent but do you really want to put such a useless case in front of a judge? To be fair, your clients are very useful members of the human race - as comedians.  How I loved the page turner of their antics at The Citrus Building in Bournemouth.  It was chuckle after chuckle reading about them, letter after letter, month after month, insisting they were legally in the right, even through someone who had done just the first day of a GCSE law course could have told them they weren't.  Until the denouement - BOOM - an absolute hammering in court.  In fact - SLAM, BANG - managing to lose twice against the same motorist for the same car park in front of two different judges. Your client can either drop their foolishness now or get yet another tolchocking* in court where I will go for an unreasonable costs order under CPR 27.14(2)(g) and spend the dosh on a nice summer holiday, while every day laughing at your clients' expense. I look forward to your deafening silence. COPIED TO COUNTRYWIDE PARKING MANAGEMENT LTD   *  This word is used under licence from Brassnecked
    • Well yes, ... and the tax dodgers ... Trump May Owe $100 Million From Double-Dip Tax Breaks, Audit Shows A previously unknown focus of an I.R.S. audit is a dubious accounting maneuver that effectively meant taking the same write-offs twice on a Chicago skyscraper. nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM  
    • more detest the insurrectional ex variety dx
    • Laura, I was surprised that the Director said that you hadn't appealed twice. I thought that the letter you posted on 24th June was the second appeal and that was to the IAS. And they did say that there was no further appeal possible. Could you please explain how many times you appealed. I am going to read your WS now. PS  Yes I meant to say that the keeper did not have a licence therefore it was wrong of them to assume he was the driver and the keeper. Thanks for picking that up.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4980 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Mincemeat
HI

The credit limit is a prescribed term on an running credit agreement regulated by the consumer credit act and if missing or incorrect would render the agreement unenforceable uner section 127(3) of the act.

The court would have no option in the matter.

Peter

But taken in context to the question posted, where the statement is something along the lines of 'We will inform you of your credit limit, it will be X, Y or Z' and the credit limit is something different, the court would have a harder time deciding on whether or not enforcement would be allowed.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Mincemeat
Hi

Not being funny but wouldn't you have thought that the banks would have

thought they would get stuffed for unlawful charges or incrrectly executed agreements.

Perhaps they make mistakes you think

Peter

Yes, people are infallable. Banks make mistakes. Remember that if a mistake is too large for them to rectify, the legislation is changed and the banks are again protected. The whole consumer revolution thing here has yet to kick in completely and it is my belief that we're going to see an SI that makes the removal of s127 protection retrospective from the 2006 act to cover the 1974 act.

Guest Mincemeat

Right, that's made up for the fact that I was online at 8am yesterday and didn't come back online until about 14 hours later. Just thought I'd set the record straight. Apologies if Peter can't work out a clue as to who I am and misconstrues it as a personal afront but hey, what the heck!

I'm off now to see the GP where Hamilton becomes world champion.

Hi, conar, the simple argument against the arguments that I've raised is that as I said, you require a handwriting expert to assess the signature (if this is disputed), and in practical reality (rather than legal fiction) it is rather easy to select an expert who will state that they are unable to determine whether a signature was signed by you without the original document.

For example

Forensic handwriting analysis in the UK

Fair comment Tom, my view was more General and based on a judge agreeing the legalities or not of allowing copies on the balance of probabilities & what's reasonable, after all I think neither side will want to undertake the costs of a large amount of 'expert witnesses' to recover a debt of £1000:oops:

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

There is no freemasonry like the freemasonry of Golf

Conar, do you really think TS are going to show up in Court just because we ask them to?

No, Ian, and thats my point. If we produce evidence in our case based on TS/OFT/DTi statements surely we need to be able to corroberate them if challenged by a representative from falsifier, fabricator & fibber, Sols.

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

H

it just gets worse now i am being caled a liar

all the letters posted are complete with the senders identification i assure that if in doubt it would be an easy to contact their office for authentification . i thought i would never have to hear the day when my honour was put in question this way.

Regards

Peter

Not what I meant at all Peter, and if I gave that impression I apologise unreservedly. The point I was making was we need to be able to corroborate statements we produce in evidence and you've done that in the post above.

I like all the others appreciate your knowledge on the subject and freely given assistance when requested.

Peter, please try not to worry about it, it's just a couple of users. The vast majority are very grateful for your input here!

The above is really unhelpful Ian, See post above re my apology. Your comments are just the sort of statement that kick off acrimony and argument rather than adult debate.:p

Just as well I'm not a shy retiring young flower and don't take offence easily. :D

Tomterm, Mincemeat & co may be right in that on occasion a DJ may well allow a microfiche copy despite the debtors protests but I doubt if that decision was appealed that the Higher Courts would take the same view.

I suppose I'm the & co, I may have got this whole debate wildly wrong but weren't we discussing what the other side may do & how we could counter this.

If Wilson does it - great, I've not had a chance to read it yet as I too busy defending myself on this thread.

My stance yesterday & this morning was, once the doubt door was opened, its not important by whom, I personally wanted the comfort of knowing how this would be countered when/if I go to court.

There is nothing wrong with being the 'devils advocate' in a grown up debate.

Well if that's the case then it is a big mistake. No doubt I will be banned now for arguing.

Also, Shane, no disrespect to you but if you weren't aware of the quality of postings of either of the above, then comment ought not be passed. I have purposely stayed off here for quite some time now, but I do hate to see those that I consider to be valuable contributors treated with such disdane.

Further, Peter knows all of us (well enough now I would hope) and would surely agree.

Regards,

Cornucopia

Hear Hear, I'm about to do the same. Everyone is entitled to a view even if its the dumbest thing you've ever heard (I exclude none of my posts anywhere from that statement).

Peter as the recognised SME on this & other CCA threads is to be cherished but thats not to mean he can't be challenged (politely)

Quite right!! Caro.

To those others leave peterbard alone. His knowledge & contribution to this & other sites is invaluable - as are his what must be time consuming campaigns for justice for the put upon debtor

Please show/point out the threads where Peters knowledge or contirbution have been denigrated.

No one is bullying Peter, I do not see him complaining (other than my misunderstood post) and I'm sure he does not need your help in defending himself.

His advice, knowledge & contribution are greatly appreciated but as he says himeself - he's not infallible.

I am not misquoting the judgement. The Lawlords ruled that S.127 was to protect the debtor from unscrupulous lenders. That would show that the Lawlords were under little illusion as to sharp practices etc being carried out by possibly some lenders. That is why it would be unlikely that the Higher Courts would accept a one sided microfiche copy and a blank agreement containing the missing prescribed terms to make an agreement enforceable.

Aha! Now I see where you are coming from!

The document introduced as a microfiche copy via the legislation would be subject to exactly the same law in terms of enforceability and prescribed terms, as the original document.

In addition, if the agreement was split in several places (i.e. to record it) they would have to be able to prove each document was related to the other.

The only argument I was responding to was the argument that a copy of a document couldn't* be admitted into evidence, which is simply not correct, regardless of the wilson cases or any of the other precident mentioned so far(none of which are precidents whose ratio is about evidence; in each case, there was no dispute that the consumer credit agreement was the one the parties actually signed).

Statute law trumping precident.

Fair comment Tom, my view was more General and based on a judge agreeing the legalities or not of allowing copies on the balance of probabilities & what's reasonable, after all I think neither side will want to undertake the costs of a large amount of 'expert witnesses' to recover a debt of £1000:oops:

There are many cases where we are talking about debts around £20,000. What is appropriate in one case, isn't in another.

* i note, peter never said that such a copy couldn't be admitted into evidence, but felt many people were misinterpreting what I believe he and the OFT have said, which is that it would be very hard to prove that such a document was an exact duplicate of the one you have signed.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Yes, people are infallable. Banks make mistakes. Remember that if a mistake is too large for them to rectify, the legislation is changed and the banks are again protected. The whole consumer revolution thing here has yet to kick in completely and it is my belief that we're going to see an SI that makes the removal of s127 protection retrospective from the 2006 act to cover the 1974 act.

After speaking with the OFT on Friday this is my belief as well

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

After speaking with the OFT on Friday this is my belief as well

That is most worrying, and could cause chaos as previously *resolved* issues were dragged before a court to be looked at again. It is very difficult, though, to make legislation backdated and I hope that this will not happen as once again it shows that the CCA is being moved from it's original purpose of protecting the consumer and shifted towards supporting the creditor whatever wrongs they have committed.

Right, that's made up for the fact that I was online at 8am yesterday and didn't come back online until about 14 hours later. Just thought I'd set the record straight. Apologies if Peter can't work out a clue as to who I am and misconstrues it as a personal afront but hey, what the heck!

I'm off now to see the GP where Hamilton becomes world champion.

Hi m55/mincer

Fifteen consecutive posts total sum of reliable useful and helpful information 0.

Nice to see you keeping to your old standard

Best regards

PETRBARD

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

If you think I have a personal problem with you (I don't, actually) this is possibly down to the fact that whenever questionned, mostly about the distance marketing regs, rather than provide any information on any point you would simply state 'read the regs'. There are many posts out there.

Hi please see my piece on distance marketing on my enforceable agreemnts thread.

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

See an earlier post

So you would have an arguement prepared then would you? Good. That's all I said. You need a reason to question the production of microfiche or some other reproduction of the agreement.

No we go into court without one

The bottom line here is, be prepared, expect them to come up with this and counter it. Don't just freeze at that point or you'll be in trouble.

What a good idea must write it down

Hi

wisdom indeed

Hear Hear, I'm about to do the same. Everyone is entitled to a view even if its the dumbest thing you've ever heard (I exclude none of my posts anywhere from that statement).

Peter as the recognised SME on this & other CCA threads is to be cherished but thats not to mean he can't be challenged (politely)

hI

By all means argue with me but lets do it with a degree of mutual respect and humour if possible .

Whats an SME??

Hope its a good thing

Regards

Peter

For information some posts which were unacceptable have been removed, so please can we stick to the issues here.

No-one should ever take any posts on here as gospel unquestioningly, and should always check the facts for themselves before deciding the best course of action for themselves, if necessary taking advice from a qualified/certified professional.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Guest Mincemeat
Fifteen consecutive posts total sum of reliable useful and helpful information 0.

Nice to see you keeping to your old standard

Best regards

PETRBARD

And you to making statements refuting statements without actually countering anything that has been said.

You have said a copy agreement will automatically be thrown out by a judge. This is wrong and there are thousands of CCJ's out there to refute that. But hey, I'm not making any useful posts. I would just like to say that you heard it here first - go straight into court and don't worry about the fact that they've only got a copy of your agreement because the judge is on your side, he won't give you a CCJ that superceeds the agreement at all, he'll stop them in their tracks. Don't worry, you'll be able to sit there all innocently and say 'but they have forged it'. The judge will take this and throw the case out.

Continue giving such wonderful advice Peter, continue lining people up for financial woes, continue making people not wise up to the reality of what is in store for them and continue to make people feel rosy inside. What is it going to take to make you realise the errors of your ways? Pathetic attempts to insult me are meaningless, but your gung-ho, inability to take criticism and debate, taking things too personally and basically being unable to see the errors of your ways is astounding.

Think about the absurdities of your posts. You are stating that a copy is inadmissible, or at best will be hard to get past a judge (both wrong!) by making people quote letters you have received are absurd. Your asking a judge to throw out a copy of a document on one hand (signed by you that may well be enforceable) on the basis of a letter or an email from someone you have never met sent to someone else you have never met but told you on a website somewhere that a copy was inadmissible? Do you think their solicitor is going to let that slide? You're attempting to advocate a hobsons choice, a catch 22, an absurd absolute on a wing and a prayer. The facts of the matter are this: CCJ's are issued on a daily basis across the UK using microfiched copies of an agreement, this is, and will continue to be, accepted by the judges in county court. You must have a reason to believe the copy agreement is not acceptable and it must be convincing. A judge that sees payments made by you, a microfiched copy of an agreement signed by you and an outlandish arguement along the lines that the agreement is in some way falsified will get you a CCJ, end of story.

So, are you going to go back and edit your posts this time like you did the last time we argued, so as to put a positive spin on what you had written?

Guest Mincemeat

Apologies Caro, I'm not being personal and the last post obviously took longer to write than the 1 minute after you had posted.

Hi never gone back and edited posts

never said any of the above absurd nonesence

not worth responding to

Peter

The fact is court claims issued by creditors need to be challenged on the basis that the agreements are unenforceable by virtue of sec 127 (3).

Judges will continue to hand out judgments even if there is no agreement submitted at the hearing. in the first 6 months of this year judgments are reported to be at an all time high, the creditor plays on our ignorance.

Winston Churchill

The fact is court claims issued by creditors need to be challenged on the basis that the agreements are unenforceable by virtue of sec 127 (3).

Judges will continue to hand out judgments even if there is no agreement submitted at the hearing. in the first 6 months of this year judgments are reported to be at an all time high, the creditor plays on our ignorance.

HI

And this is the function of this site to arm ourselves with as much knowledge as possible in order to defend ourselves.

Nobody gets a free ride in court or anywhere else knowledge is power.

Regards

Peter

This is getting ridiculous now.

Mincemeat, I personally can state of 4 cases i know of (as i was present at court at the time) of instances where due to the original agreement not being produced the creditor lost and enforcement order was not granted.

1 of the cases the creditor failed to show up so, yet even so it shows in that instance they were not willing to risk it. All they had as proof was a mailshot type agreement which was signed by the debtor.

the other 3 cases were all argued in court in front of a district judge, creditors produced statements and copy agreements (some with, some wthout prescribed terms). In each instance the overriding argument used was without the original agreement which contained prescribed terms etc agreement is unenforcable. In 1 case the debtors did produce mock up statements, actually used the judges name as well which he found quite amusing. I am sure there are many others here who know of similar cases as well. Not once have i heard a creditor bring up the evidence act.

Can you just agree to disagree and leave it at that please.

All advice is offered freely & without prejudice

If my post has been useful to you please click the scales

HI

And this is the function of this site to arm ourselves with as much knowledge as possible in order to defend ourselves.

Nobody gets a free ride in court or anywhere else knowledge is power.

Regards

Peter

Totally agree.

Winston Churchill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4980 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks