• Tweets

• Hi With the Section 21 Notice I do hope the Landlord issued you with: Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the Property How to Rent Guide A current Gas Safety Certificate (if gas in the Property) If above have not been provided to the Tenant by the Landlord then they can't use a Section 21 Notice until the above have been provided (note you don't warn the Landlord of this until but put it in your defence) Have a good read of this link: Evicting tenants in England: Section 21 and Section 8 notices - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK Information for landlords in England on tenant eviction: assured shorthold tenancies, including eviction notices, Section 21, Section 8, accelerated possession, possession orders, bailiffs  
    • good idea take some pix and put them in a PDF read UPLOAD dx
    • thread title updated moved to overseas debt forum. sadly as they are outside any UK jurisdiction upon DCA rules which state in the UK they must not call employers, there not alot you can do to stop these scammers. make sure you totally make private ALL social media twitter/facebook/linked in etc etc as there no-way for them to findout where you work otherwise so you must have a leak somewhere. find it. your employer details arent even legally available to UK DCA's so how have they found it out to date???  simply write to the BANK informing them of your correct and current address ALWAYS!!. if you want to arrange payment or not TO THE BANK ONLY thats upto you. never ever ignore a Statutory Demand a Letter Of Claim a Court Claimform. if if if any of those ever happen. till then ignore and rewash. dx    
    • Date of issue –   13 may 2024 AOS date 31st may defence filing date 14th june plenty of lowell card claimform threads here use our enhanced google searchbox Lowell card claimform id be reading at least 5-10 threads a day. do NOT MISS your defence filing whatever happens.  
    • Hello All,  I’m hoping someone can help me urgently here. Firstly, I’d like to say I have read multiple other threads and have some what an idea of what I should be doing, however my case might be slightly different so coming with my own questions here.    my situation is I lived in Dubai and had a credit card and a loan, loan with HSBC and credit card with Emirates (or the other way round), I lost my job and was forced to leave the country as I was staying in the country on my companies visa.    since coming back, after a few years 2 different debt collections agencies have been approaching me (one being IDRW and the other J&P). I’ve never answered IDRWW and they constantly chase me by calling and messaging me and my employer. My current company is ok with this as I explained the situation but I’m soon to be joining a new company who definitely won’t be ok with being messaged and called. I’m afraid to continue to ignore them as they may message and calm the new employer as they have before and I’ll lose my job. However, it seems clear from these forums that dealing with the debt collection agencies is never a good idea. You shouldn’t agree to the amount or pay anything.    j&p caught me on my phone but I still haven't sent them any money or confirmed the amount they’re saying is owed, they keep pushing to pay off the “principal” amount by making monthly payments, from reading these forums it seems like if I make one of those payments (they have provided bank details for ENBD), then it’ll just be paying off interest and not actually clearing the principle debt and the bank won’t even approve receipt of payment or that it’s coming off principle.    this is my predicament as ignoring them might not be an option if they chase my new employer. Maybe there’s a way to ensure the debt collection agency don’t contact my new employer?? I don’t know? Massively appreciate peoples help here. Thanks, 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest The Terminator

Having studied this Act for the last six months I can still not find the reason why S85 was drafted into the act.My own thoughts are that it was drafted as a safety net for the consumer or that it acts as a double whammy for example if the CCP is in breach of S61 he then commits an offence under S85 when the card comes up for renewal.

s66 relates to liability for the use of a card but says nothing about enforcing an agreement in terms of applying interest etc

S51(3) makes an exception to 51(1) for agreements in force. if a second replacement is sent under s85 breach (i.e when there is no agreement in force) the protection of 51(3) is gone and a criminal offence seems to be committed

Sorry -I don't understand the relevance of the case you posted Term.

Also - when we first started on the S85 bit (a gazillion years ago) it was purely in relation to the issue of cards subseqent to the first. There seems to be a general assumption on here now that they will never be able to comply with our interpetation of S85 "because they can't supply the original agreement". So how many of us have CCA'd our CCP's and asked for the original agreement? - I only sent mine today - are you saying that all of you lot debating this point have already established that your CPP can't provide the original agreement?

Furthermore - what is a "true" copy? If it's a copy of a fax, which is a copy of the original (assuming it's legible), then I would assume it to be a true copy - just because it's a copy of a copy doesn't make it untrue - comments?

Don't all shout at me at once

Our friend Mr S Johnson has sent back my SAR with cheque uncashed after 31 days, issuing me with a form to fill in. Ooooooh, these guys get my gumption. I think a really, really nasty letter CCing the ICO is required.

Also - when we first started on the S85 bit (a gazillion years ago) it was purely in relation to the issue of cards subseqent to the first. There seems to be a general assumption on here now that they will never be able to comply with our interpetation of S85 "because they can't supply the original agreement". So how many of us have CCA'd our CCP's and asked for the original agreement? - I only sent mine today - are you saying that all of you lot debating this point have already established that your CPP can't provide the original agreement?

Furthermore - what is a "true" copy? If it's a copy of a fax, which is a copy of the original (assuming it's legible), then I would assume it to be a true copy - just because it's a copy of a copy doesn't make it untrue - comments?

Don't all shout at me at once

My wife and I sent ours today, interestingly neither of us can remember signing an agreement, also my daughter got a cc from the same CCP about seven months ago, and she can't remember signing anything either.

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Our friend Mr S Johnson has sent back my SAR with cheque uncashed after 31 days, issuing me with a form to fill in. Ooooooh, these guys get my gumption. I think a really, really nasty letter CCing the ICO is required.

Losing track a bit. Who does Mr Johnson work for?

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

The whole ever changing T&C arguement is one they DON'T want to start in court. It would be ripped to shreds.

I hereby agree to a credit card, where they can change the T&C's. Next year the T&C's state I now owe them £30 a year as an account maintenance fee. A year after that the T&C's state the interest goes up from 10.9% APR to 20.9% APR. I'm sorry, that's not what I signed up for and that's not what my agreement states. But I can't clear the balance so I can't cancel it. Hmmmm, unfair contract term I do believe!

Good point!

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

m55 - is it an "identify yourself" form?

Presumably sent to your address, the same address to which they send your statements, and the one you use when writing to them?

And the same one in the same letter where he as given me some information on my account, just not all of it! Me thinks a 'erm, if you are not satisfied with my identity (and therefore need the attached form completed) you are in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 by giving me the information you already have. As you have provided this information to me, I am sure you are happy with my identity, therefore my original request still stands. By close of play on the ##th March 2007 I expect to have in my posession: otherwise I will be contacting the ICO regarding your breach'.

Can someone guide me to a good quote regarding delaying tactics etc?

Guest The Terminator

The relevance to the case is that the T&C were changed without the consumer being informed.The debt was passed around like confitti so not even the court knew who the creditor was.

1) There were various communications, but those proved insufficient to produce an agreement and in the result a Court summons was issued on 17th October 1995. The plaintiff is the First Personal Bank PLC, trading as Harrods Card Services. In her defence, dated 3rd November 1995, Miss Sim said, in effect, "I have never heard of the named plaintiffs, I have always had an account with Harrods

2)

The next step seems to have been an application by the plaintiffs on 21st June 1996, asking for the defence and the counterclaim to be struck out and for judgment to be entered on a summary basis. That application was supported by an affidavit from Karen Downs, who says that she was a litigation clerk employed by the plaintiff company. What she says in that affidavit is to the effect that the credit card agreement was assigned by Harrods Ltd to the First Personal Bank PLC in 1991, and that notice of that assignment was sent to the defendant on 26th June:

"... with revised terms and conditions, ..."

3)

The present application therefore appears to be an application for leave to appeal from the decision of Judge Reynolds not to extend the time within which Miss Sim may appeal from the judgment of District Judge Madge, given as long ago as it was. The matter does not stop there because this application came before this court a month or so ago, and it appeared then that there was a question as to whether the plaintiffs had not themselves assigned the account to some other person. The situation is far from clear.

We have letters from Howard Cohen & Co, solicitors acting for CL Finance Ltd. They say that on the 9th April of this year the account which forms the subject of this action was assigned by the plaintiffs, who apparently now have another name, to their clients. They say that an application was made to the West London County Court to substitute their clients for the plaintiffs in this action. Miss Sim says that she has telephoned the County Court and they have no knowledge of any such application. The solicitors ask for this matter to be adjourned so that they can attend to reassignment of the account.

We also have a letter from what is described as "EA Lee & Co Solicitors" giving the same address as the plaintiff. Miss Sim suggests that they are in effect no more than the legal department of the plaintiffs, but we have no knowledge on that one way or another. This letter says that it was not the account but the judgment debt that was assigned by the plaintiffs, who are now renamed. They express surprise that the West London County Court has not substituted CL Finance Ltd as the plaintiffs in this action, nor put Howard Cohen & Co as solicitors on the record. They too require an adjournment of this matter so that they can attend to those questions with the West London County Court. The situation may be quite simply that the judgment debt has been assigned and that that does not affect the proper title of his action.

Now the three points I've highlighted go back to what has been said all along.No executed agreement = No enforceible debt.

Well I got my CCA request back from MBUSA today (within 12 days)together with my uncashed £1.00.

The document provided is evidently a fax of a microfiche print. It is illegible apart from my signature and my name and address, which are printed.

What they have provided clearly does not fulfill their statutory obligation, but it does leave me wondering...

1) Is this illegible simply because it's a fax of a microfiche?

2) Does this mean they have the full monty original in a good quality archived form they can produce in court?

3) Are they storing my data off-shore?

For these reasons I will write back with my £1.00 insisting on proper fulfillment of my statutory request.

Regards

Lantana

My own take on the purpose behind s85 was for borrowers to be reminded of the terms and conditions they signed up for at the outset of the agreement. This should act as a backstop against the lenders ramping up rates and charges etc.

I suspect the MIB's think they're complying with the spirit of the law with their mailers, but evidently not the letter.

The credit card industry (like all banking) relies on customer inertia and a passive customer base for maximum profits. As BA pointed out in a previous post, we are no longer dairy cows. I am genuinely excited at the prospect of s85 being exposed in court.

Hooray, my 50th post!

Regards

Lantana

As promised, BCards idea of an executed agreement - (minus sensitive info of course!)

Anyone care to play spot the mistake?

:rolleyes:

bcardexedit.jpg

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Guest Battleaxe
And the same one in the same letter where he as given me some information on my account, just not all of it! Me thinks a 'erm, if you are not satisfied with my identity (and therefore need the attached form completed) you are in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 by giving me the information you already have. As you have provided this information to me, I am sure you are happy with my identity, therefore my original request still stands. By close of play on the ##th March 2007 I expect to have in my posession: otherwise I will be contacting the ICO regarding your breach'.

Can someone guide me to a good quote regarding delaying tactics etc?

I sent back a very terse letter telling the clock is still ticking from the date they received my original request and they until 4pm on the dealine date to supply the data and this is viewed as a stalling tactic, then immediately lodged a complaint with the ICO. They breached the deadline and this was how I got them for non-compliance on both accounts. ICO found in my favour. i got back the filing fee and £200.00 compensation. I filed for £500.00. but decided to be maganimous because the ICO had already slapped their wrists. Naughty MBNA.

Guest The Terminator
As promised, BCards idea of an executed agreement - (minus sensitive info of course!)

Anyone care to play spot the mistake?

:rolleyes:

bcardexedit.jpg

Is that the best they can do doesn't exactly comply with S61

Hi

Dont want to hijack this thread but just need a pointer.

Last week sent a CCA request to MG, this morning received a letter stating

I confirm receipt of £1.........., as requested please find enclosed a certified copy of your application form and copies of T&C that we would have provided you with at the inception of your account.

Then goes onto.. if you are not happy blah blah and ICO contact etc.

But there was nothing enclosed with the letter and see how they have worded the bit about the T&C.

Any comments how one would respond to this.

After the post above I sent them a letter stating there was no agreement with the letter, today received a sorry letter and

Please find enclosed a copy of your signed credit agreement and a copy of T&C issued at the time your account was opened. The template supplied to you contains the required information as it was sent out to you. This information is all on file and can be used to evidence that we have acted fairly and correctly and in accordance with the terms of the Act.

First of all I never told them that they have acted unfairly and note that in their first letter they refer to a certified copy and in the next letter they say copy of your signed agreement.

Now this is the inetersting bit, I have since located a copy of the T&C, they sent me at the commencement of my contract and those T&C are different to the once they have supplied with this letter. Not only that, but the alleged agreemnet is headed

CONFIRMATION FORM

Credit Agreement Regulated by the CCA 1974

Name

address

protecting your card

additional CArdholder

By signing this agreement, you confirm.......true info etc

Your right to cancel

my signature and date

What do you think.

I sent back a very terse letter telling the clock is still ticking from the date they received my original request and they until 4pm on the dealine date to supply the data and this is viewed as a stalling tactic, then immediately lodged a complaint with the ICO. They breached the deadline and this was how I got them for non-compliance on both accounts. ICO found in my favour. i got back the filing fee and £200.00 compensation. I filed for £500.00. but decided to be maganimous because the ICO had already slapped their wrists. Naughty MBNA.

Any chance you could email me the body of the letter you sent to MBNA, and also what you did with regards to the ICO?

Many thanks. Remember, 1 before the 3 and virgin.net after the at:-)

Just received my replacement card with it came a copy of the up to date terms and conditions of the agreement. Thats all. Under sec 85 it clearly states a copy of the executed agreement, however, it does not say a true copy of the original agreement as in a sec 77 78 request.

Sec 85 seems ambiguous and the interpretation of what parliament meant is open to challenge on both sides, i would be more confident if sec 85 stated a true copy of the original agreement as in 77 78. Confused.

Paul

It may not say 'true' but it does say the EXECUTED agreement. There can only be one copy of an executed agreement and that is a true copy. As with sec 77/78 even the terms and conditions must be the same (although later ammendments could also be sent)

Any changes (other than in T&C which can be ammended as long as the original T&C are supplied) to the original executed agreement must make it a new agreement.

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Whenever I have read S66 it always seems to me to say that if the card is not received by the debtor/authorised user but intercepted and used by an unauthorised person then the debtor is not liable even though the credit-token agreement is strictly in the debtors name and would ordinarily be liable. I am not saying it's right or anything, it's just the way it reads to me. Am I naive in thinking a creditor would be clutching at straws if they had to use this as a defence?

Hi

I agree with this interpretation of s66. I think it is to limit the debtor's liability for unauthorised use of the card by a third party unless the debtor has accepted it first.

Regards, Pam

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....l#post53879 9

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

Paul, the problem with the mailers is that whilst the CCP may say it is a true copy, that is it contains all the same conditions, requirements etc, if they haven't got the original agreement they would never be able to demonstrate it was a true copy at all. That's part of the reason why we go back and ask for a copy of the original signed agreement so that we can check it is a true copy.

Their whole game plan fails at that point. A court would require it and so it is not unreasonable for us to ask. Also any mention of later Regs to avoid providing a copy of the original is just a red herring

Guest Battleaxe

M55

Complete letter on the way as I type this,

I then added this to ICO complaint file already opened.

Funny thing about this, I got the compensation cheque from MBNA notified the court on the 9 February. A directions hearing has been listed for the 9th of this month over the non compliance because MBNA said they were going to defend. They didn't want to go to court because they knew I had the adjudication from ICO against them. MBNA keep checking with the court to see if I have notified them that it has been settled, the coourt have not yet struck it off the calendar and MBNA are sweating. Got another letter, rang the court and they admitted they are up to three weeks behind with the paper work regarding the banks and their actions and this causing a heavy backlog regarding administration.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks