• Tweets

• I'm trying to unravel this – but I get the impression that there was no contract between you and EVRi and that you didn't even choose them but instead you decided use some third party parcel broker in the USA which organised the delivery. Is this correct? EVRi came into the picture because they would then eventually selected for part of the journey although you had no knowledge that it might be them and I suppose it didn't really matter as long as the item got to you. Secondly, I really don't understand the journey which this item made. You bought the item from somebody in the USA. They then were meant to dispatch it to you to another address in the USA but for some reason or other it came to the UK and then into the hands of EVRi at which point it was lost or stolen. More confusion here because you now tell us that EVRi marked it as being out for delivery but it was never delivered. This suggests that it was going to be delivered to a UK address but earlier on you said that it was going to be delivered to USA address. I think you need to look at the story. Maybe show it to a friend of yours who is not particularly where the details and ask them if they can make head or tail of it and then come back to us with clarification so that we fully understand. Also, I think we'd like to know what the item is, how was it declared, what was the value which was declared. You said it was a valuable item because it was rare and collectable. I gather from this that it is non-fungible. We need to understand more about this. Was an insurance policy purchased to cover it during the delivery process. I understand that this rare and collectable item be valued at £200. Have evidence this value. This could become very important. Also you have given is no idea when this happened. We need to understand the full timescale. There are a number of possibilities here including the possibility of the contract action against EVRi on the basis of your third party rights or an action for negligence but we need to know far more and we need to get a story that makes sense.   Finally, I understand that you have sent the letter of claim. What did it say? How much time did you give them? What did you expect to happen as a result of the letter of claim? Whatever the answers to those questions might be, clearly you had no idea how to proceed after having sent such a letter. A letter of claim is meant to be a serious threat of some legal action if some condition which you have stipulated is not complied with. You set a deadline for compliance and at the end of that deadline you issue the court action. Clearly you are not in a position to do that so your letter of claim is a bluff and undermines your credibility and it will find its way into the EVRi wastepaper basket – if it's not there already.  
    • Good morning. I just wanted to check something please. The other side have moved slightly and negotiated a full and final offer price to end this matter. I am happy with this. However, I want to make sure this is the end of the matter and am emailing the following over to them prior to payment. Is this enough to ensure they can come back for nothing else? Thanks -------------------------------------------------- Dear Sir.   With regards your last email below.   I am pleased to agree to the full and final settlement figure given below.   Can you confirm this payment will be in full and final payment with no further claim to be brought against me in this matter?   Best regards
    • 100% sure I didn't receive it, that why my first post is with the £100 letter.
    • Engine, the technology business Starling Bank was built on, has been busy launching banks around the world, from Romania to Australia.View the full article
    • use this your WS and inc this as an exhibit off to bed now 3 nights been up till 4am aurora watching wont be on too early as it's lambing season out herding with the dog. your WS main thrust is the debt would now be SB'd , the DN was filed xxxyrs+months after it should have been thus unlawfully extending  SB date to infinity. highlight their admittance regarding errors at that time period in your 'redetermination'  paragraph. agreements unreadable. would have already been written off due to SLC age write off criteria has they not issued the claim to stop the SB clock when they had no paperwork to prove their case in the 1st place. never earned over threshold. dx       Erudio - stopped sending email deferments won at FOS DRN-4141462.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

but if this was a small claims court, they cant add costs...

Yeah, that's a misconception that a lot of people have.

The DJ explained to me when he would award costs in a small claim claims court: it is

1) when one side has either acted unreasonably, or

2) when one side had vexatiously pursued a case which they had no chance of winning, in effect wasting everybody's time.

The DJ also said although he has awarded costs in several cases it is not a frequent occurence.

In my case, the Co-Op were saying, "We settled this claim in Feb 2006 by paying the customer his charges, and sending the Credit Agreement. The claimant has known this, yet pursued the case to the court stage, even though there is nothing to settle." Whether or not the judge would have listened to their argument we'll never know.

This was an unusual case and I wouldn't want to put anyone off going to court - just be aware of what these companies may try to wriggle out of having to face the judge . . .

Cheers

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi b+e

yeah I do realise that...what i should have said is that they dont normally award costs.....and I didnt really look far enough into your case

a good outcome though, no fingers burned :)

Dave

• Haha 1

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

asr -

These changes do not create a new agreement - even the card number can change, the underlying account number remains the same

However (if you havent seen this in this thread) Section 85 of the CCA 1974 requires the creditor to supply a true copy of the original executed agreement with any new card ("credit token" in the words of the CCA 74)issued

If they do not comply with this (and most, if not all, do not - they tend to supply an "industry standard" card carrier instead), 12 workings days + 1 calendar month later they may not enforce the agreement

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Hi NCF

basically correct...but I think you will find that if they dont supply the original they can supply a new one but with all the variations of terms that have happened listed.

Copies of agreements or security instruments where the agreement or security instrument has been varied

7.--(1) Where an agreement has been varied in accordance with section 82(1) of the Act, every copy of the executed agreement given to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act other than section 85(1) shall include either-

(a) an easily legible copy of the latest notice of variation given in accordance with section 82(1) of the Act relating to each discrete term of the agreement which has been varied; or

(b) an easily legible statement of the terms of the agreement as varied in accordance with section 82( 1) of the Act.

(2) Where a security provided in relation to a regulated agreement has been varied, every copy of the security instrument relating to it given to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act shall include either-

(a) an easily legible copy of any document varying the security; or

(b) an easily legible statement of the terms of the security as varied.

rgds

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Where does one stand if the creditor decides to change the credit card number and the number shown on an application form differs to the one currently being persued.

Your "account" with them hasnt changed......just the card reference no. the terms you agreed to will include somewhere that "from time to time they will monitor your account and may change or restrict your card".

the agreement you signed will probably NOT have a card no. on it..it will be issued later.

its the general agreement for credit that hasnt changed

rgds

Dave

Any thoughts on this

My defaulted First Direct credit card debt was cleared by FD when they created a new savings account and transferred the amount to the credit agreement to clear the debt, they then defaulted the new account on the same day and have since sold this to a DCA.

I have CCA’d the DCA who say this is a bank account and not covered by section 77 CCA as the agreement was terminated, looking through the CCA I can’t see anything that’s relevant to this as technically the debt is clear

However since I did not agree to the new account, did not sign anything I wonder how this would stand up in court and whether FD are in breach of any rules as the “ if any” rule only applies to non written agreements, and I haven’t agreed so this can’t be a non written agreement.

I am going to need help on this and will start a new thread at the appropriate time but read this great debate and understand that there are knowledgeable folk here so just need pointing in the right direction re legal aspects i.e CCA/ LOP ect so I can go and do my research

Thanks

Berty

Live Life-Debt Free

hmmmmm this sounds worryingly like a new strategy.....

will have to think on this, I can see it happening more and more if it proves successful....

you will have to look at your agreement to see if they are allowed to do this

did they issue any default notices ?

if they did and the ammount included penalty charges then the default notice is void..and so might the contract...."unlawful rescission of contract" I believe.

need to think more on this

Dave

Any thoughts on this

My defaulted First Direct credit card debt was cleared by FD when they created a new savings account and transferred the amount to the credit agreement to clear the debt, they then defaulted the new account on the same day and have since sold this to a DCA.

Did they do this with your permission? I'm no expert, but it sounds like fraud if they didn't!

Also, how can they default you (even if it is an account rather than an agreement) on the 1st day of opening it? Doesn't make sense to me that...

I have CCA’d the DCA who say this is a bank account and not covered by section 77 CCA as the agreement was terminated, looking through the CCA I can’t see anything that’s relevant to this as technically the debt is clear

Yes, s.77 won't apply to the old agreement as there is no balance. You could send off a DPA SAR to see what comes back though.

The account will be regulated by the FSA, rather than the CCA - but if it's an overdraft, they need to have complied with the OFT's s.74 Determination. More on this here;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/31515-ccas-overdrafts.html?highlight=overdrafts

However since I did not agree to the new account, did not sign anything I wonder how this would stand up in court and whether FD are in breach of any rules as the “ if any” rule only applies to non written agreements, and I haven’t agreed so this can’t be a non written agreement.

Again, sounds like fraud to me, but I'm sure an expert on this will reply in comment.

I am going to need help on this and will start a new thread at the appropriate time but read this great debate and understand that there are knowledgeable folk here so just need pointing in the right direction re legal aspects i.e CCA/ LOP ect so I can go and do my research

Sounds like a good idea.

My initial thoughts were around unlawful Default too, Dave.

Although the account is closed wether by fair means or foul...you can still SAR them and get a copy of the "agreement" that they hold..if it doesnt cut the mustard...then its happy days....

Dave

Thanks for the replies

As it happens when they sold the debt they sold a current account that I didn’t use that had a .76p balance so the DCA is actually bought an account to which I can prove has never been in default I have written a pretty strong letter to them with copies of the account showing the status asking them to acknowledge their error and quoting the usual unlawful and vexatious stuff plus data protection regs ect and advising them that I will report them if they don’t deal with this with in 14days so I will wait and see what comes back before taking further action but I don’t want to draw too much attention to this with the bank as they may see their error and try and rectify it…..

However its frightening to think that banks are dealing with CC debt in this way and anyone with a bank issued credit card needs to be prepared…its interesting that they used a savings account rather then a current account and I wondered if there were something in the terms that gave them a loop hole, when I spoke to the bank they said they always use savings accounts

Just looking at something Rory32 posted in the thread link above, I cant see how this type of transaction can be legal and form part of any agreement without the debtors agreeing to it

THE DETERMINATION

]The Determination (which is signed by the Director of Fair Trading) is made under section 74(3) of the Act. I set it out in full:

1. Under the powers conferred upon me by Sections 74(3) and (3A) and 133 of the Consumer Credit 1974, I, the Director General, being satisfied that it would not be against the public interest to do so, hereby revoke with effect from 1st February 1990 the Determination made by me in respect of Section 74(1)(b) and dated 3 November 1983 and now determine that with effect from 1st February 1990 Section 74(1)(b) shall apply to every debtor-creditor agreement enabling the debtor to overdraw on a current account, under which the creditor is a bank.

2. This Determination is made subject to the following conditions:-

(a) that the creditor shall have informed my Office in writing of his general intention to enter into agreements to which the Determination will apply;

(b) that where there is an agreement between a creditor and a debtor for the granting of credit in the form of an advance on a current account, the debtor shall be informed at the time or before the agreement is concluded:

of the credit limit, if any,

- of the annual rate of interest and the charges applicable from the time the agreement is concluded and the conditions under which these may be amended,of the procedure for terminating the agreement;and this information shall be confirmed in writing.

© that where a debtor overdraws his current account with the tacit agreement of the creditor and that account remains overdrawn for more than 3 months, the creditor must inform the debtor in writing not later than 7 days after the end of that 3 month period of the annual rate of interest and charges applicable.

3. In this Determination the terms 'creditor' and 'debtor' shall have the meanings assigned to them respectively by Section 189 of [the Act]. The term 'bank' includes the Bank of England and banks within the meaning of the Bankers' Books Evidence Act 1879 as amended.

Live Life-Debt Free

Berty, im in the same situation, i defaulted on a bank loan, my current account was closed with a positive balance a few months later. This was a few years ago.

I was paying it all back until they failed to supply my agreement for the loan, so i stopped paying.

To cut a long story short, the debt got sold, the new owners have started proceedings against me, but they have started proceedings on my bank account number, i have proof it was closed with a plus balance. Ive got a fortnight to sort out my defence.

This is my thread, getting some excellent help and info from pt

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/124165-claim-issued-against-me-2.html

Thanks for the replies

As it happens when they sold the debt they sold a current account that I didn’t use that had a .76p balance so the DCA is actually bought an account to which I can prove has never been in default I have written a pretty strong letter to them with copies of the account showing the status asking them to acknowledge their error and quoting the usual unlawful and vexatious stuff plus data protection regs ect and advising them that I will report them if they don’t deal with this with in 14days so I will wait and see what comes back before taking further action but I don’t want to draw too much attention to this with the bank as they may see their error and try and rectify it…..

However its frightening to think that banks are dealing with CC debt in this way and anyone with a bank issued credit card needs to be prepared…its interesting that they used a savings account rather then a current account and I wondered if there were something in the terms that gave them a loop hole, when I spoke to the bank they said they always use savings accounts

Just looking at something Rory32 posted in the thread link above, I cant see how this type of transaction can be legal and form part of any agreement without the debtors agreeing to it

THE DETERMINATION

]The Determination (which is signed by the Director of Fair Trading) is made under section 74(3) of the Act. I set it out in full:

1. Under the powers conferred upon me by Sections 74(3) and (3A) and 133 of the Consumer Credit 1974, I, the Director General, being satisfied that it would not be against the public interest to do so, hereby revoke with effect from 1st February 1990 the Determination made by me in respect of Section 74(1)(b) and dated 3 November 1983 and now determine that with effect from 1st February 1990 Section 74(1)(b) shall apply to every debtor-creditor agreement enabling the debtor to overdraw on a current account, under which the creditor is a bank.

2. This Determination is made subject to the following conditions:-

(a) that the creditor shall have informed my Office in writing of his general intention to enter into agreements to which the Determination will apply;

(b) that where there is an agreement between a creditor and a debtor for the granting of credit in the form of an advance on a current account, the debtor shall be informed at the time or before the agreement is concluded:

of the credit limit, if any,

- of the annual rate of interest and the charges applicable from the time the agreement is concluded and the conditions under which these may be amended,of the procedure for terminating the agreement;and this information shall be confirmed in writing.

© that where a debtor overdraws his current account with the tacit agreement of the creditor and that account remains overdrawn for more than 3 months, the creditor must inform the debtor in writing not later than 7 days after the end of that 3 month period of the annual rate of interest and charges applicable.

3. In this Determination the terms 'creditor' and 'debtor' shall have the meanings assigned to them respectively by Section 189 of [the Act]. The term 'bank' includes the Bank of England and banks within the meaning of the Bankers' Books Evidence Act 1879 as amended.

It is possible that this could be used without your knowledge, but the Bank will argue that they have complied with Determination and by using the overdraft, you have (albeit impliedly) agreed to the terms of the overdraft - the argument is that you shouldn't have drawn against the overdraft if you didn't agree to the terms and, by using it, have agreed to be bound by them.

Berty, im in the same situation, i defaulted on a bank loan, my current account was closed with a positive balance a few months later. This was a few years ago.

I was paying it all back until they failed to supply my agreement for the loan, so i stopped paying.

To cut a long story short, the debt got sold, the new owners have started proceedings against me, but they have started proceedings on my bank account number, i have proof it was closed with a plus balance. Ive got a fortnight to sort out my defence.

This is my thread, getting some excellent help and info from pt

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/124165-claim-issued-against-me-2.html

This could be the Bank claiming its right to "offset" one debt against another - if one account defaults they can use the balance of another to offset that debt if they go for recovery. This would have to be included in the T&C's of the accounts though, as there is no automatic right to offset in a legal sense.

A DPA SAR should reveal the relevant documentation, as mentioned above, which will either prove or disprove the existance of such T&C's.

However the original debt was a credit card covered by the CCA 1974...I didn't request the use of an unauthorised overdraft to clear that account, or the setting up of a new account for this purpose and its a crafty way of setting aside their obligations under the CCA......

Live Life-Debt Free

Priority One recommended I get you guys to have a look at this one for me. I CCA'd A&L and this is what they sent back.

cca1.jpg

img006acopy.jpg

It's totally illegible even with a magnifying glass and I don't get the bit in the accompanying letter about it being a "copy of the Original Credit Card Application"? Also were 4 pages of T&C's headed CREDIT CARD AGREEMENT REGULATED BY THE CONSUMER CREDIT ACT 1974 (although the interest rate in here is stated as 24.9% when the original rate upon taking out the card was 15.9%), a recent statment of account (dated 1st December) and another sheet entitled MAKING A PAYMENT.

Any advice would be most welcome. :)

"Never annoy a redhead - especially when she's a member of CAG!"

Just to add that.... there is no credit limit on this doc... but Deb says it's on the back. IMO it's an Application... and even if it wasn't the credit limit would need to be a part of the signature document. It would also need to be legible.

Comments appreciated... :)

Just to add that.... there is no credit limit on this doc... but Deb says it's on the back. IMO it's an Application... and even if it wasn't the credit limit would need to be a part of the signature document. It would also need to be legible.

Can I just state that the information that is now on the back of the doc was not on the original one. Hi PO, feel like I have a fairy godmother now - or is that godfather? :D

Can I just state that the information that is now on the back of the doc was not on the original one. Hi PO, feel like I have a fairy godmother now - or is that godfather? :D

I am definitely female, by the way.... lol :D ... just in case you think I'm stalking you round the CAG.... lol

I am definitely female, by the way.... lol :grin: ... just in case you think I'm stalking you round the CAG.... lol

Always wanted a fairy godmother. :) :) :) XXXX

Hi

If there is no Credit Limit on the Original front or back then it is unenforcable.

Deb4 have you got the original

No. sorry HAK, I haven't got the original but I do recall at the time that I had to fill in the application form, send it off and then they sent me a letter stating that my credit limit was £1500.

It wouldn't need to be, would it, as SI 1553/1983 was obsolute after May 2005 and this was signed in 2006?

There's no statement of the protection/remedies available under the Act, so regardless it can only be improperly executed, IMHO. (The lack of credit limit on the same page as the document would seem to confirm this also?)

Have you send a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to get statements showing charges? Have they send you a copy of original Default notice, if applicable?

No. sorry HAK, I haven't got the original but I do recall at the time that I had to fill in the application form, send it off and then they sent me a letter stating that my credit limit was £1500.

Do you still have that letter?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks